How would you rate episode 309?

Ran

How would you rate episode 308?  

1,332 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I'm somewhat surprised at all the tens in all honesty.

I tend to agree with much of the "official" review (especially regarding the "Oh Shit! It's a trap! Moment). In all honesty, I found the RW somewhat underwhelming. There were a few nice twists (stabbing Talisa in the womb multiple times was pretty shocking, as was Catelyn slitting his wife's throat), but overall, I really didn't feel that much sadness. Obviously I've read it several times before, so the impact might have dulled a bit, and perhaps the burning of the tents next week will bring a degree of gravitas to the occasion, yet for the most part, it really wasn't that effective.

Why is this? I think a lot of it simply stems from the fact that I give far less of a shit about show Robb, show Catelyn etc than I do their book counterparts. That's a result of two seasons' worth of poor characterisation, which cannot be saved by piling on the sympathy at the RW. The seeds for the RW should have been sowed months prior. They weren't, and that lessened the occasion for me. There were other things too. Grey Wind dying like a bitch, Arya acting so damned calm about the whole thing. Obviously, the scene did its job; Twitter went apeshit, people will probably be shocked. I can't help thinking though that it could have been so much better.

The Bran/Rickon scene did far much more for me emotionally than the RW. I think the separation was done nicely, I liked the way that Jojen and Meera took a back seat to allow the Osha/Rickon/Bran relationship to flourish. All in all I thought that bit was fantastic (maybe seeing the attack through Summer's eyes would have made it even better, but meh). All the other scenes were fine (there is only so much you can do with choreographed sword-fights).

I gave it an 8. I should've given it a 7. It was by no means a 10. Breaking Bad 3X12/13, 4X13 are tens. The Wire 2X11, 4x12/13 is a ten. This was not a ten.

I've been dying to respond to this, but the internet keeps eating my posts :P . Great analysis, you've summed up what I was feeling far more succinctly than I have been able to manage. I completely agree with what you've written, particularly the part regarding Bran and Rickon's parting evoking more of an emotional response than the Red Wedding.

When I see the many posts proclaiming that this is the best episode of the series, I'm left feeling a bit confounded. Heck, it's not even my favorite episode of the season (I liked "Kissed by Fire" and "And Now His Watch is Ended" better). To me, it doesn't even hold a candle to Blackwater or Baelor, and your post perfectly captures why I feel this way.

9 out of 10, I thought the Yunkai scenes were mis placed and did not fit into the episode at all. I also wanted Ygritte to shoot Jon snow with an arrow (on a personal level). Also, could have done a better job with building the wedding tension for us book readers.

"Blackwater" and "Baelor" still stand out as the show at it's best. The best episode of the season still remains, "And now his watch has ended" followed by "Second Sons" both perfect 10s IMO.

10 even that i imagined the Wedding would be in a bigger hall. Most of things were included but with more time they could had the rainy way to twins. Greywinds foreshadowing.

And more:

- big tends were the North Soldiers could have been burned alive.

- Smalltalk; Robb with his leading Staff to bring more depth.

- The discussion between Robb and Roose about Theon

- Let the red flow

- Greatjon Umber is taking 2mans down with him

And most overall i was a bit disappointed about the overall atmosphere. They should have eaten something poorly which didnt taste so good. They music should have performed more bad than good. But i understand the money and time issues. An other thing is i still can have both sides the show and the book - they differentiate and thats ok to me.

Edited by Ser Vogler

Oh an i forgot about Walder Freys speech before hell breaks out. Its fitting perfectly as he lost his voicebalance when he starts talking about the hospitality. Lov' it.. its going under your skin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RXAhqvMy2lQ#t=435s

This is showing how Frey is feeling and how desperate he is.. scarry.

no it makes sense, especially in the context of the current episode. both were well above par for their respective series, and both had one incredible scene.

the red wedding and the scene with brandon and david in the radio booth. ( i dont know if this episode had a particular line as good as "it doesnt matter what you say about someone once their dead, it matters how you treat while theyre still here")

annnd, both were far from the pinnacle of their series (blackwater and one wedding and a funeral)

LOL. This made my day.

Got a 10 from me, as an episode of GoT.

If I were to rate it based on my comparison to the book... it'd probably only get a 7.

Michelle's acting was fantastic.

I actually didn't cry though. 40 weeks pregnant and I didn't shed one tear haha. I thought I was going to bawl like a baby, much in the way I did watching Baelor. I was emotional and shook up, but for whatever reason, no tears.

For me this was the most disturbing episode from the start of the show. It even passes the killing of Nedd Stark at the end of s1. This episode was so sad, I gave it 10. This is my first 10 for the season couse it moved me so much.

Got a 10 from me, as an episode of GoT.

If I were to rate it based on my comparison to the book... it'd probably only get a 7.

Michelle's acting was fantastic.

I actually didn't cry though. 40 weeks pregnant and I didn't shed one tear haha. I thought I was going to bawl like a baby, much in the way I did watching Baelor. I was emotional and shook up, but for whatever reason, no tears.

40 weeks, isn't that like 4 weeks late?

40 weeks, isn't that like 4 weeks late?

No it's perfectly to term, pregnancy takes 40 weeks but anything over 38 is usually considered term and anything over 40 is late (says she who had her baby after being induced at 41+3).

Edited by Cadiva

I never want to judge, but I feel like some of you people are not satisfied if a scene is even remotely different from its book counterpart. I'm sure the majority of us book readers almost always feel that the book >>> movie/show. I choose to judge the show without trying to make comparisons to the book. Basically, when I watch the show it's as if the book does not exist. So as an episode of a television series it's easy for me to give this one a 10. It was absolutely incredible television

I gave it a 9.

The scene between Bran and Rickon was wonderful, and I loved the performance by Art Parkinson, who I think was the emotional core of that scene. I think that's the first time he's really gotten to play a major scene in the show, actually. He was brilliant, and the scene was quite moving.

I don't have an opinion of the Yunkai segment because I stepped out for a moment... though it's my understanding that about all I missed was seeing Jorah becoming jealous of Daario.

I thought they did a good job of the Red Wedding. There were a couple of of changes from the book that distracted me and made me a bit less engaged on first viewing (though being emotionally distanced was going to happen anyway since I knew what was coming and tended to focus more how they handled it). So here were a couple of things that distracted me:

1) Grey Wind getting killed in his cage rather than getting to rip some Frey arms off and fight back until the end.

2) Catelyn killing the Frey wife instead of the mentally disabled son. I understand why they had to change it (could you imagine the storm of boycotts and political protests - on TOP of the intense emotional reactions that the sequence inherently creates - if they'd actually done it the way it reads?). Yes I think it would have been more powerful to see Catelyn kill someone who is the mental equivalent of an infant or young child, but I think I'm alone in this, judging by the reviews. Apparently the killing of the young terrified Frey wife was sufficiently shocking for most viewers, and I am becoming reconciled to it. Now that I know about it, I will probably find it sufficiently shocking on a second viewing.

Aside from those distractions, I thought the Red Wedding was brilliantly staged, and Michelle Fairley completely nailed it. I personally loved her catatonic stare, and it brought me right back into the scene after the killing of the "wrong person" - though I know some fans would have preferred to see her tear at herself with her nails.

I thought the fade to black... and to silence... right after the arterial splatter was incredibly powerful.

Well done!