How would you rate episode 309?

Ran

How would you rate episode 308?  

1,332 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

shrugging = wasted

top lel.

The guy had about 5 seconds to say something before Jorah arrived. It's a huge stretch to assume that he was drunk.

It's not a huge stretch at all. It's factually correct. Go back and watch the scene and actually pay attention to Barristan's mannerisms this time: he's drunk.

This is show apologism at its finest... Denying something that is written all over the actor's body language and facial expressions.

It's not a huge stretch at all. It's factually correct. Go back and watch the scene and actually pay attention to Barristan's mannerisms this time: he's drunk.

This is show apologism at its finest... Denying something that is written all over the actor's body language and facial expressions.

Implying that I didn't already rewatch the scene twice. There's simply not enough time given to Barristan to suggest that he's drunk.

I'm afraid I must end our delightful discussion. As entertaining as nitpicking about the mannerisms of a character that was on screen for 25 seconds is, there are bigger things about this episode that need to be addressed.

I don't see any signs of Barristan being drunk either. I just see him being calm and relaxed in a tense time, showing his experienced in comparison to Dany's lack of such which has her nervous and unsure what to expect. It also makes no storytelling sense whatsoever to have the most honorable of the King's Guard mess up his job when he finally serves someone he deems worthy, and then not make a point of it at all.

To say that thinking that Barristan isn't drunk is show apologism is some of the dumber things I've seen on this board. That just screams of inability to handle conflicting opinions to your own.

You really don't see how this shows Barristan is drunk??? :bs: He looks like he's just got home from the local pub.

No, I don't.

Do you really see it as likely that they have the honorable Barristan neglect his duty and not make a point of it? If I thought he looked drunk I'd sooner comment on the acting rather than the story since the latter makes less sense.

You really don't see how this shows Barristan is drunk??? :bs: He looks like he's just got home from the local pub.

Well I really don't. Watching the silent gif, Barristan's expression could be interpreted as someone who had a few too many but in the context of the show not at all. It did not cross my mind when watching the actual episode (twice) and based on other people's reaction I was not alone.

I don't see any signs of Barristan being drunk either. I just see him being calm and relaxed in a tense time, showing his experienced in comparison to Dany's lack of such which has her nervous and unsure what to expect. It also makes no storytelling sense whatsoever to have the most honorable of the King's Guard mess up his job when he finally serves someone he deems worthy, and then not make a point of it at all.

Perfect response. If they wanted to show Barristan getting on a slippery slope (why???), they'd made it a tiny bit more obvious.

No, I don't.

Do you really see it as likely that they have the honorable Barristan neglect his duty and not make a point of it? If I thought he looked drunk I'd sooner comment on the acting rather than the story since the latter makes less sense.

THAT'S why I'm so bitter about it. There's NO WAY Barristan would ever get drunk on the job, but that's exactly what he's doing.

Book!Barristan isn't desperate for glory - he wouldn't get jealous that Jorah is fighting in Yunkai and not him. He is proud to serve Daenerys. So why is he bitter about being "left behind"?

THAT'S why I'm so bitter about it. There's NO WAY Barristan would ever get drunk on the job, but that's exactly what he's doing.

Book!Barristan isn't desperate for glory - he wouldn't get jealous that Jorah is fighting in Yunkai and not him. He is proud to serve Daenerys. So why is he bitter about being "left behind"?

Why does it bother you SO MUCH?

Why does it bother you SO MUCH?

It's unnecessary and makes no sense within the context of the SHOW's version of Barristan Selmy. A couple of episodes ago he criticised Robert for being "a drunk" and then said he looks forward to serving Daenerys... And then in this episode he's getting drunk on the job and putting Dany's life in danger.

He looks completely incompetent. Cersei looks competent for sacking him.

I thought that the pacing of the RW scene took a cue from the scene in Interview with the Vampire when Lestat blew out the candle (Freys locking the door) before he starts torturing the prostitute in front of Louis; it reminded me totally of that scene. I was impressed with how the scene looked almost identical to how I pictured it in my head when I read it.

10/10.

To powerful. When reading the book you take in the horrific events at a much slower pace, this was like a ginormus slap in the face. PLAWDAOW --> Red face.

Michelle (whatever the last name is) gots to get some medals for this.

It's unnecessary and makes no sense within the context of the SHOW's version of Barristan Selmy. A couple of episodes ago he criticised Robert for being "a drunk" and then said he looks forward to serving Daenerys... And then in this episode he's getting drunk on the job and putting Dany's life in danger.

My eyes rolled so hard they've become permanently lodged in the side of my head.

Edited by Pinkie Baelish

That's what you think it looks like, it's not a fact. It would probably be a big topic if more people thought he looked drunk.

I question your reaction though. Why would you sooner go to "Barristan is getting drunk" than to "the actor made the character look drunk"? You must think that there's some logic to showing Barristan neglecting his duty and still not expanding on it.

The part of him wanting to serve Daenerys through helping to take the city isn't moving him from his sense of duty so that's a completely different thing.

I appreciate constructive criticism but it seems like you are just inventing things to criticize for the sake of it. It`s fair enough to say that you didn't like Barristan's expression because you expected him to be more serious and it almost look like he was drunk but to flip out and say that show Barristan is a drunk who neglect his duties, when nobody else noticed that, is ridiculous.

My eyes rolled so hard they've become permanently lodged in the side of my head.

Sorry you can't handle criticism about the show, but some of us like to critically engage with what we watch and not just blindly accept everything. Even the least attentive viewers should be able to pick up the inconsistency of Barristan's actions.

It didn't really seem that way to me, but I can understand why someone might interpret his behavior as being drunk. If he was MEANT to be drunk (I think if that were the case it would have been more explicitly stated - maybe the actor's choice?) then yeah that would be weird. But still...why does it bother you SO MUCH that you are "so bitter" about it?