How would you rate episode 309?

Ran

How would you rate episode 308?  

1,332 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

This is an 8 for me, after a long of consideration. They failed at capturing the atmosphere, which is the thing that really sets this scene apart. That Catelyn chapter is full of dread from start to finish, but they actively went against it and took what, to me, seemed like the easy way out: hide what you're going to do until the last minute, to heighten the shock value. Shock is easy, as any number of shlock horror films will reveal. Controlling the atmosphere, unsettling people in subtle ways, that's hard.

I agree! Reading everybody say it was Perfect made me feel like I watched a different show, just going through the chapter in the Books all over again...the scene does not do Justice to it

I loved the episode! Was a little disappointed by the deaths though. Talisa looked fake as dead to me, but she was fine the rest of the episode. Poor Robb, felt so bad as he held her though (even if I didn't like her acting as she was 'dead'.)

Cat.. Why couldn't she have killed a Frey? Who cares about Walder's wife?

And Grey Wind should above killed at least one person before dying.

Still loved the episode though. I can't remember being so depressed about seeing something/and crying because of a show/movie before.

This is an 8 for me, after a long of consideration. They failed at capturing the atmosphere, which is the thing that really sets this scene apart. That Catelyn chapter is full of dread from start to finish, but they actively went against it and took what, to me, seemed like the easy way out: hide what you're going to do until the last minute, to heighten the shock value. Shock is easy, as any number of shlock horror films will reveal. Controlling the atmosphere, unsettling people in subtle ways, that's hard.

Well in the books we have the advantage of internal dialogue, but the Red wedding was by and large a surprise for most people. Walders treatment of Robbs wife, Cat picking up something is wrong but to late to do anything. The salt and bread, watch how they eat it and the looks on their faces.

I think it was suppose to be a surprise in the books to, I was surprised at least. I don't know man, I usually agree with most of your stuff but I think you might be a little off here. I would suggest watching the whole episode again later. I mean expectations are to begin with, but you seem to be focusing on just the wedding which i thought was good, but look at how the whole episode relates to it.

Not like you need my advice but maybe just try watching it again later. Then again maybe you have already seen it twice.

10. Absolute 10.

Some jimmies will be rustled at minuscule stuff for some of you, but holy crap.

The pacing, the Rains of Castamere, the violence, Roose Bolton.

Queenscrown was shot very well, and the sacking of Yunkai was great.

Gave it a 10. Talisa and Robb's deaths were pretty gut wrenching. That was a great episode, and (sadly) they nailed the RW.

Rickon's got some acting chops! Too bad that's the last we'll see of him until like season 8. That was a touching brotherly scene.

Arya was a bit flat, but was pretty good.

Daenerys' 'victory' paled in comparison to the rest of the episode, and yet even her scenes were pretty good.

Jon didn't stand out, and that's a good thing. Whenever he did stand out, I felt it was in a bad way. He was good enough, and there's a good setup for the subsequent events at Castle Black.

And thank got Tormund Thunderfist aka Giantsbane aka Husband to Bears is still alive, I thought he'd be doomed in that wildling mission. But he lives to HAR another day! HAR!

Oh and Walder's actor is that janitor dude from Harry Potter right? Argo or Argus whatever...I was actually starting to like him, he had that cool senile humor. Then of course he unleashed on the Starks. Damn that man. I actually burst out laughing when he gave that look to Robb when he saw Roslin, it's like 'hey, she's pretty hot, eh?'

Edited by Barristan the Boss

Absolutely great.

My only problems:

1) Robb holding his wife after being pierced with arrows, not a tear in his eye.

2) The tower scene with Bran and company w/ Jon down below suffered from either bad editing and/or screenwriting. This includes the "He's one of them..." part. (Although this was most certainly not an entire wash. Some of it was okay.)

3) Arya's part outside the RW was...meh.

My forst post on this forum or for that matter on this board,, but I have to say I gave it a 10 it was awful knowing what was coming and watching it unfold. My wife has not read the books and even though I softened it a bit for her she was utterly speechless after it ended.

I alos liked the bits with Sam and especially the part about calming Holdor, for some reason that really resonated with me.

Not like you need my advice but maybe just try watching it again later. Then again maybe you have already seen it twice.

It doesn't get better. It gets worse the more time you have to analyse what was left out and how important those things were.

I couldn't read that scene in the book -- heck, I couldn't read most of the book following that scene -- until a week or so ago.

It had very little impact on me on the screen.

Edited by Linda

I gave it a 10. The whole episode had me on the edge of my seat, and I was horrified by the Red Wedding, even though I knew exactly what was coming. Outstanding job by the cast and writers.

Dany and Daario are already on my nerves, though. Blech.