How would you rate episode 309?

Ran

How would you rate episode 308?  

1,332 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I can't really put into words why just yet, but it felt off. Not by much...just something lacking. The whole Yunkai part made little sense, and usually Jorah's expressions enhance scenes, yet here he looks as if Darrio was dead...meh.

Queenscrown...why not search the landlocked tower? Why didn't Orell fly his eagle into the window for a peek?

Catelyn was amazing.

Only thing wrong with the episode was the jarring inclusion of any of Dany's storyline in it. That really threw off the pacing.

Otherwise, 9.5 for the episode, it did just about everything I could have asked for. And the love I have for the almost, but not quite symmetry of the Robb/Catelyn/Arya and Bran/Rickon/Jon almost meets and the connection to the wolves was absolute perfection.

I agree with this absolutely. The book is the inspiration for the series, but ultimately, to translate the book to screen, an adaptation must occur. Things must be trimmed down, the show must create it's own canon, etc. A show is limited by budget, time, ability, etc. Plus, they end up putting a lot of the 'important' things in the scene anyway. You just have to actually watch and look. Like the books, everything in the show isn't spoonfed.

Oh man, this one had so many more easter eggs than normal! I have this super long list of it all. My eyes could barely process, they were moving to fast across the screen and trying to keep up with what my ears were hearing!

Yes. Adaptation and putting things to a film medium is difficult and sacrifices must be made. But i felt that everything that needed to be conveyed was conveyed. Cat's catatonic face had a lot of impact. While i wished she had clawed her face slowly with the same expression, alas, i cant have everything. I was very pleased how it came about. The color and lighting of the scene was so exactly how i imagined it... oh man...

voted 9 - slow episode again but the first scene with ayra and the hound was good. Felt Maisie was a bit wooden in her scenes after that. Would have given this episode a 5 but the RW was nailed - couldn't have been better. just a shame they didnt sew the wolf's head on Robb

I was thinking of giving it a 9, but caved in and gave it a 10. I pictured the RW to be more climactic rather than climactic, so I expected a huge massacre in the camps. Plus I pictured Robb's death to be far more out of nowhere than anything else, complete with the music speeding up to a crescendo and stopping right as Roose twists the blade. I also pictured Cat's breakdown to more insane, with the only sound being her laughter. I envisioned a silence like the one in Ned's beheading just before the axe fell, and Grey Wind to put up a fight.

But I digress. Great episode, all around. My heart was pounding and I was on edge for the entire last 10 minutes. I like how this week and last week have been much better focused and focusing on a few storylines, rather than cramming in about 8. But I do wish Stannis' arc was better developed this season.

My main gripe? NO REVEAL OF RAMSAY. Seriously. The Unsullied are going to feel Theon's arc has been a complete waste of time. If they had showed his reveal right before the massacre started, it would have all seemed worthwhile. I can't help but feel D and D fucked up big time by not having Theon and Ramsay's last appearance in this episode.

Edited by Pinkie Baelish

near damn perfect. yeah yeah yeah different to an extent from the book but EVERY single storyline was done superbly: even Bran and Jon Snow's. So glad they didnt cut to King's Landing on this episode.

And how about that Grey Worm fighting? I'm now a fan.

The Red Wedding was done really well considering the 50 minute frame episode.

As a TV show episode I'm torn between giving it a 10 or a 9. I just feel a 10 should be reserved to truly spectacular emmy worth material. I'm not entirely sure they achieved that with episode 9, but it was near damn perfect (for the TV show)

I strongly recommend those who have not read book 3 to do so as soon as this season ends. It really is one of the best fiction novels out there, impossible to put down.

9.5 only because Cat didn't claw her face, which would have made it so much more powerful.

The greatest acting performance by the 'shocked, grief stricken mother goes to Tyra Ferrell in 'Boyz n the Hood'. One of the most brilliant scene's ever filmed, IMHO.

Anyhow, while I expected something similar from Michele Fairley/Cat tonight, I was most certainly moved by her desperation to save her son's life.

Where was Cat going crazy? That final shot of her was just weird, just standing there in silence. I really wanted her on the ground, clawing at her face screaming and laughing talking about how Ned loved her hair. Not just standing there like a zombie (I get it, I get it, she was overcome with grief, geez I can feel people pouncing on me already.. I just wanted the part with her losing her mind to be shown).

Anyways, I still gave the ep a 10!

Voted 8.

Objectively speaking, I feel they did not capture the atmosphere that the books provided leading up to the massacre. This cheapened the "shock" for me (despite already knowing) since everything turned so quick. I would have liked more suspense, possibly stemming from Catelyn, concerning whether or not Walder was going to play nice. I think this is made worse considering that at times they seem to want to try and build this ambiguity which began building suspense, but then smooth it over.

I understand they did this to settle the unsullied TV watcher, so they think all is well just before the big shock, but I felt this lessened the source material. The episode basically became the shock, and yeah there is huge shock value in the book, but it's about so much more than just shock. Obviously I did not hate it, so it get's an 8.

I also rather liked all the changes and editions they did to advance the plot. It just seemed to me that something was missing from the RW, but I understand everyone probably has their own unreachable standard of how the RW plays out.

edit: I also enjoyed the eerie death silence and gaping maw of Catelyn upon realizing Robb was killed. It showed in those few seconds that Robb was the last thread holding her from being destroyed by grief. He dies and she loses all connection. It makes her look rather dead...a living dead, which is perfect for what is to come. I very much hope they advance that plot for the finale of "Mysha"

Edited by Justin Danford

People need to stop complaing about the clawing of the face. Her screaming and standing there shocked was much more powerful. You all tend to forget.. GRRM helps with each episode and I think he is fixing many things that were pretty dumb in the books. So glad we don't spend 30 minutes an episode going over food descriptions like in the books. Jellied eel's anyone.

10. I loved the whole episode as a whole. It wasn't as good as Blackwater, though. I liked Gilly and Sam at the beginning. That was so cute! Then the warging, Jon leaving Ygritte (Brilliant, choice to have her try to stand by him) Rickon leaving Bran, Daario, Grey Worm, and Jorah VS The soldiers was totally awesome. Is it bad that I'm starting to LIKE Daario in the show? Anyway, THE RED WEDDING WAS BEAUTIFUL. The build-up...oh man the build-up. I also liked the way they revealed Roslin, better than in the books. Talisa's death was brutal. Absolutely brutal, and I cried when Grey Wind died. Having Arya see that was a great choice.And then, the final moments, just SILENT as Cat's throat is slit. Brilliant

The only small problem I have is that I expected it to be WAY more chaotic. But I still think it's a ten.

Ramsay's reveal will most likely happen next episode.

Well it kind of has to now. But revealing his identity and the truth about who burned Winterfell will pretty much result in a "well, duh!" reaction from the audience. Had they done it just before the massacre, that would have incited a big "holy shit!" reaction.

Where was Cat going crazy? That final shot of her was just weird, just standing there in silence. I really wanted her on the ground, clawing at her face screaming and laughing talking about how Ned loved her hair. Not just standing there like a zombie (I get it, I get it, she was overcome with grief, geez I can feel people pouncing on me already.. I just wanted the part with her losing her mind to be shown).

Anyways, I still gave the ep a 10!

The woman went catatonic. That's pretty mad! She had so clearly lost her mind. Plus, this will be the face of Stoneheart so it absolutely works because she literally transformed into Stoneheart moments before her throat was slit.

I gave it an 8...a few small quibbles that have been mentioned already and I would have like the music leading into and during the wedding to be more ominous....but I was balling. I liked the silence during the credits. That's what I would have liked after Jaime lost his hand but I guess you can't really do that twice and this was the best episode for that.