Too many Arya chapters

BlackBrother55

I'm currently reading the books for the first time, and thought I'd add to this thread rather than start a new one on the exact same subject. Anyway, I'm currently finding her chapters in Clash to be the least enthralling, but I'm only 196 through so that could all change.

Wow, this thread is awful.

If you can't appreciate the Arya chapters in Clash, I don't know why you're even reading these books. SO much beautiful foreshadowing, so much character development, so much world development, so much blatant and beautiful description of exactly HOW "war is hell" to everyone who isn't a lord.

Honestly, Arya's chapters in Clash are some of the best written chapters in the entire series, It's Arya's chapters in Feast and Dance that I hate.

A thread is "awful" for stating a view different to yours? Do you visit discussion boards expecting everyone to agree with you. Nothing "awful" about a variety of different opinions. Isn't that why we visit these places, as opposed to doing it with the purpose of reading a bunch of views that just mirror our own?

I love Arya. The OP probably loves Sansa, pretty boys, fancy clothes descriptions and lemon-cakes.

Great, putting down Sansa with a bunch of silly stereotypes and a shallow view of her character, storyline and fans in order to build up Arya. How original. :rolleyes:

As if the only way to praise Arya is to put down Sansa, or the other way round. Blah. I love both of them and find their stories incredibly interesting.

Anyway, if you don't like fancy clothes descriptions, you must be having a lot of trouble reading ASOAIF, since every chapter is full of them. That, and the description of food.

And pretty boys play a bigger role in Arya's chapters in ACOK (which are full of Gendry and Jaqen) than in Sansa's, who spends most of the book interacting with burnt-face Sandor and fat Sir Dontos, when she's not musing on how much she hates Joffrey and how disgusting she finds his puffy wormy lips.

Great, putting down Sansa with a bunch of silly stereotypes and a shallow view of her character, storyline and fans in order to build up Arya. How original. :rolleyes:

As if the only way to praise Arya is to put down Sansa, or the other way round. Blah. I love both of them and find their stories incredibly interesting.

Anyway, if you don't like fancy clothes descriptions, you must be having a lot of trouble reading ASOAIF, since every chapter is full of them. That, and the description of food.

And pretty boys play a bigger role in Arya's chapters in ACOK (which are full of Gendry and Jaqen) than in Sansa's, who spends most of the book interacting with burnt-face Sandor and fat Sir Dontos, when she's not musing on how much she hates Joffrey and how disgusting she finds his puffy wormy lips.

No, I just didn't write out my praise of Arya chapters. And Sansa does not miss the chance to notice pretty boys, or their clothes. She only hated Joff after he killed her father, up to that point.... Sansa is one of the least original characters in the series. And I do find fancy clothes descriptions tedious.

No, I just didn't write out my praise of Arya chapters. And Sansa does not miss the chance to notice pretty boys, or their clothes. She only hated Joff after he killed her father, up to that point.... Sansa is one of the least original characters in the series. And I do find fancy clothes descriptions tedious.

She's a very original character IMO, written as a subversion of a stereotype - that's why shallow readers can't wrap their heads around it and insist on seeing her as a stereotype. That's if you've even read anything beyond AGOT.

And clothes, shields and arms descriptions happen all over ASOAIF, not just in Sansa's chapters. It's Martin's thing, that and the elaborate food descriptions.

And Sansa does not miss the chance to notice pretty boys, or their clothes.

Oh the horror, she actually notices what people look like and prefers seeing a good-looking face to an ugly one before learning more about the person's character, how shocking! Such a crime! I'm sure you're also incredibly annoyed when reading about Tyrion and every other male character noticing how attractive women around them are.

The elaborate food descriptions always make me hungry, that's for sure.

I think her chapters are well done, for the most part. She is a child. She is going through some horrible life experiences and surviving while her family is torn to shreds. All while George somehow shows the outcomes of war through the low born populace and develops the world we've all come to love (or at least most of us, some of us I'm not so sure we love his world we spend so much time complaining).

She is not my favorite character, but her chapters add to the story significantly and are building up to something big (same goes for Bran).

She's a very original character IMO, written as a subversion of a stereotype - that's why shallow readers can't wrap their heads around it and insist on seeing her as a stereotype. That's if you've even read anything beyond AGOT.

And clothes, shields and arms descriptions happen all over ASOAIF, not just in Sansa's chapters. It's Martin's thing, that and the elaborate food descriptions.

Oh the horror, she actually notices what people look like and prefers seeing a good-looking face to an ugly one before learning more about the person's character, how shocking! Such a crime! I'm sure you're also incredibly annoyed when reading about Tyrion and every other male character noticing how attractive women around them are.

I think you just have lemon-cake blinders on. Sansa will be a villain in the end. She has been for most of the book, unwittingly so, I admit, but she will be so purposely in the end, IMO.

I enjoyed reading the arya chapters. Arya experienced what it feels like to be baseborn, how the common people of westeros actually suffer. That's not something that many of those born into highly placed families experience.

Well, some suffer even worse things... even innocent people like Brandon and Rickon.

I don't understand how someone can just skip a chapter... Even if I find some chapters to be somewhat boring, I always finish them, I would feel like I'm "cheating" if I skip anything, and I would be confused to catch up on the plot later.

Personally, I love Arya's character and her chapters.

• 2 weeks later...

Arya's chapters were some of the best IMO.

That were you get to see the frontlines of the war and how it affects people.

I was literally shell shocked reading about Arya overhearing the story of how Ser Gregor Clegane raped an inn keepers daughter with a group of Lannister men, killed his son and then saying the girl was a lousy lay and the he wanted change back from the Silver coin he payed for her (it was still rape though), or how women were casually abused by their captors on both sides like how Bolton set up a place you could just go and screw women who lay with Lannisters.

Plus the devastation of the villages and common people is felt through Arya's chapters.

Without those all we have is fancy rich people sitting in plush castles with plenty of food, servants, whores all living it up and playing silly personal rivalries while they send thousands to their death and reduce tens of thousands to destitution.

It was the Jon Snow chapters that I found difficult to plough through in Clash of Kings. I wished there was more of Davos and Daenarys, though. Arya is a favourite of mine (along with Tyrion) so had no problem with it. I assume there's a reason why she had so much time devoted to her and this is building up to something big for her character. Her shapeshifting friend I found fascinating (Jaqen H'gar, if I recall the spelling correctly) and his mysterious coin. I'm looking to finding out what all that is about!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived