Too many Arya chapters

BlackBrother55

I love Arya's chapters in ACOK. I think it is through them that we see the horrible effects of the War on the common folk of the riverlands. I adore these chapters and think they are essential to ACOK...(Daenerys' chapters are the ones that are a bit dull to me...)

agree..without arya there would be a good part of the story to tell and she is fucking badass for her age and gender.. i'm always interested in how is she doing in her own big adventure. i also love daenarys but i'm loosing my patience, i just want to see her crossing that sea and put everybody in it's place

Due to the extent of her internal monologues, Arya is the character in whom we can most closely observe psychological metamorphosis. The only undefined gaps in her mental narrative are why she doesnt

reveal herself to the Stark bannermen at Harrenhall or kill the Hound when she has opportunity.

However, both gaps can be interpolated from the corresponding plot lines.

Altogether, Arya's POV is fascinating. Much like a concentration camp survivor in the midst of WW2.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the extent of her internal monologues, Arya is the character in whom we can most closely observe psychological metamorphosis. The only undefined gaps in her mental narrative are why she doesnt

reveal herself to the Stark bannermen at Harrenhall or kill the Hound when she has opportunity.

However, both gaps can be interpolated from the corresponding plot lines.

Altogether, Arya's POV is fascinating. Much like a concentration camp survivor in the midst of WW2.

oh i like that. that's a perfect metaphor actually.

i actually went off on a tangent just now, supporting arya and her development. then i forgot this was a "still reading, acok" post, and backspaced like 4 lines. lmao im actually on a reread, affc/adwd simultaneous reread.

man THAT would have been awkward.

I enjoyed them in a Clash of Kings because I was basically urging her onto getting back together with her family. There was a bitter end to that dream, and I enjoyed her duo with the Hound. Her chapters are interesting enough, although yes every now and then there are boring ones.

The one problem is probably that her storyline doesn't co-exist with the plot line of the War of the 5 Kings as say a Tyrion, Davos, Cersei, Catelyn that we as readers probably find the most interesting aspect of the series.

• 1 month later...

Arya's chapters are the best! It was in ACOK that she became my favorite character and she still holds the top spot. We see the suffering of the smallfolk through her eyes and she is forced to suffer through it too. The Godswood scenes at Harrenhall, especially when Ned speaks to her, are absolutely heartbreaking.

I once liked Arya's POV in AGoT. But now, it changed. The three first chapters of her in the book were just a monologue to speak about their travel to the Wall. It was getting boring. I agree.

But now, I just read Yoren's death, it's better. They managed to live by themselves.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to think that if Martin is putting so much effort into Arya there must be a payoff in her development for the rest of the series. I hate to sound cliché, but sometimes you have to trust the writer and go where they take you, even if it hinders the pacing for you. Especially in 1200 page tomes. But I get it, a 100+ page chapter about salmon in Mischener's Alaska almost did me in.

I don't think there's any POV chapters I dislike. Like what people have said, I read a book as a whole and skipping chapters just confuses me. I think the balance of character POVs is fantastic, personally.

I like it. Her chapters show how all these petty pointless wars are really fucking up the lives of the smallfolk. The chapters being long and a bit tiring also works pretty well because her travels are long and tiring. If it was just one chapter of her traveling and then being captured it wouldn't work as well.

She's a bit whiny but you have to keep in mind that she is like 9 years old and has recently lost her father and gone from living the comfortable live of a noble to eating pigeons and sleeping the ground. Not to mention that she has killed several people and is basically a child soldier. You'd probably whine in that situation as well.

This is probably obvious to a lot here, but I find her chapters to be akin to the Russian film Come and See, which dealt with a child's view and involvement in the Soviet partisan struggle against the invading Nazis during World War II. The child in the film is basically battle scarred by what horrors he witnesses, growing up quickly and losing his naivety, damaged even. In many ways, I think of that great film when reading Arya's PoV chapters. I find her chapters in A Clash of Kings to one of the most engrossing, possibly the most.

BTW, Come and See is well worth watching if you haven't already.

This man speaks the truth. Come and See is one of the best war movies ever made. It is known.

Archived