[NO SPOILERS] "Positive Nitpicking" - What you loved about the episode (READ OP)

Minor note: I love how Tormund reacted, protecting Ygritte, keeping her in the group. A snap decision that showed good leadership when he could have played the hardass and killed her.

Just overall warming up to Show Tormund. I think if they had kept his characterization too close to the books, he would have come off like a clown.

New song: "The Hound and the maiden fair."

ep8 Arya with the tempting rock-skull squash, and the Hound talking her out of it.

ep9 Arya knocking out the pig-vender, and the Hound's wondering look. Wondering if that little girl could've cleaned his clock. Immeasurable.

There are so many things to like about this episode, I hardly know where to begin. So I stick with just one: Michelle Fairley's acting. Awesome, breathtaking. She's the only reason why I started to like Cat in season 1 and didn't want to see her die in season 3.

I was actually thinking about this today the interesting dichotomy of in the same episode Jon being the betrayer, but getting no flak b/c he is one of the good guys for team stark, while Walder/Roose getting no such sympathy for doing the same thing. Thats part of the moral ambiguity that I love about the show.

hmm, IS Jon a betrayer? He took no oath to Mance, but his actions are consistent with his orders from Halfhand and his oath to the Night's Watch. Dying pointlessly in the North doesn't "shield the realms".

Conversely, Walder, though he did have a legitimate greivance, has accepted the apology and consummated the agreement between he and Robb to put the issue to rest, negating the greivance. Yes, that's just part of the trick. But he's sworn to Riverrun, which is sworn to the King in the North (which is itself a betrayal of sorts to King Stannis and to Queen Daenyrs), so Robb is his Lord. Beyond that, he's also betraying the law of hospitality, which everyone in Westeros sees as quite horrifying.

Robb and Catelyn played so well!

Robb looked like the shocked 16 years old boy he is in the books and it was perfectly done. So terribly sad.

Catelyn - when she heard the Rains of Castamere and when she found out about Roose's chainmail her reaction was priceless.

Jon is not a traitor but he looks like it to the eyes of the wildlings. At least Ygritte...

Well he promises never to betray her, and he does. But then again if you've previously sworn never to betray a cause and as a result ended up swearing not to betray someone else to avoid betraying that initial cause, is it still a betrayal?

Also another thing I noticed - how awesome was it when Rickon told Old Nan's tale of wildlings drinking blood from skulls? And then Osha's look after I literally lol'd.

And Bran's reciting of Maester Luwin's lessons about the gift was nice.

It's almost a week now and even if I liked everything in this episode ( except Dany's scenes ) these are the images that stuck with me:

- Robb looking at Talisa's hand weakly moving on her belly and crawling toward her. Heartbreaking.

- Robb's expression while looking at Talisa dying and his silence interrupted only by that sad and tired «Mother» and the way he stood up and kept his eyes on Cat ignoring everything else until the end. ( I loved Richard Madden's acting )

- Cat's desperate pleas and her wail of anguish at Robb's death before going catatonic. The last scene and...oh well.. pratically every scene with her. ( Michelle Fairley deserves an Emmy. Perfection. )

- Grey Wind closing his eyes.

Well he promises never to betray her, and he does. But then again if you've previously sworn never to betray a cause and as a result ended up swearing not to betray someone else to avoid betraying that initial cause, is it still a betrayal?

I hope they address Jon's betrayal of Ygritte somehow. Perhaps we need to be reminded as an audience of Qorin Halfhand's bit about how a man of the Night's Watch serves the realm and personal honour doesn't matter.

I would like to praise Michelle's acting especially her silent moment before the end.

Jorah's jealousy of hunky Daario and look of shock when khaleesi

asked, "...and Daario Naharis?"

The three men army beating the so many army appearing left and right.

I was glad to see more of our sweet lad Rickon. And finally,

he has some lines!

The Hound and Arya talking about killing.

Talisa and Robb's tragic love story ---> :crying:

Walder Frey is such a wicked, wicked man. Well played and acted by that actor whose name I can't recall.

Ygritte's wide-eyed and brokenhearted.

Minor note: I love how Tormund reacted, protecting Ygritte, keeping her in the group. A snap decision that showed good leadership when he could have played the hardass and killed her.

Just overall warming up to Show Tormund. I think if they had kept his characterization too close to the books, he would have come off like a clown.

I agree with this; I noticed that moment, too.

Also, the guy who sold me my car this week would totally look like a Frey if he had one of those little hats. I couldn't trust him at all and had my guard up the whole time I was at the dealership. :ph34r: :unsure: <_< He looked like Lame Lothar.

Yet you bought the car anyway? Collaborator!

Very good episode, I think for most it was the Wedding that did it for me, particularly how brutal it was, and how no one got away safely. I did like Catelyn's expression when she knew everything was over, and she had lost everyone she loved. Great episode, I also loved the finale episode as well.

"There's a beast in every man, and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand." - Sir Jorah Mormont

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

On re-watching this episode again, I found a ridiculously close attention to detail which is rare since season 1 finished and the story has grown so much.

At around 38:50 you can actually see Manderly's son, slightly over-weight, long-hair and bearded, with a white Merman brooch! I think overall that since season 1, s3 has been by far the best adaptation-wise, with a couple of exceptions

• 2 weeks later...

Archived