[Book Spoilers] Catelyn @ the end

Her catatonic state at the end of the episode was my only issue. I thought the whole episode was brilliant. The way Talisa was killed made up for the lack of bannermen. I dare say that seeing the unborn prince slaughtered had more of an impact on me than all the deaths in the novel.

I'm glad there was no face-shredding, and unlike the previous posters, I thought her reaction was PERFECT. It was the picture of utter and complete desolation. Her world was shattered and in that moment she was nothing but a void of despair.

I admit, I also wanted to see Cat shred her face, just because I wanted Stoneheart to look like a ragged doll. But I thought they worked it well. Cat's last scene in the book clearly shows her going crazy. There are a lot of ways to show a person who has a mental break. Catatonia is clearly one of those ways, very obviously Cat went mad with grief. It also had the effect of making the audience feel catatonic, which was sorta cool.

Well I think it was perfect, different from the book, but still great IMO. I thought that she would shred her face in the end, but I'm ok that they decided to go the way they did. Her catatonic state in the end was very touching and had a great impact for me.

Thought she was absolutely riveting. Shock, horror, anger, disbelief, desperation all at the same time.

That's the one part of the books I've never reread, and I'm glad for it. Rather than watching it while doing a line by line mental comparison, I just watched the scene as they presented it, on its own merits.

Won't do a rematch. At least, not for awhile. Too much hurt.

Not sure how well the 'going crazy and scratching up her face' would've translated onto the screen. I thought how they did it was perfect. She was complete and utter shock. Seeing her (from what she knew) last-living son, the center of her existence, die, and then committing her own act of murder. The reaction made total sense, imo.

I didn't think that the final Cat moment, as written, was going to translate on screen. It's the portion of this episode I had the most aprehension for. I couldn't imagine a better picture of a person who has not only realized she's going to die, but that she's failed all of her children as well. I found it absolutely crushing.

I admit, I also wanted to see Cat shred her face, just because I wanted Stoneheart to look like a ragged doll. But I thought they worked it well. Cat's last scene in the book clearly shows her going crazy. There are a lot of ways to show a person who has a mental break. Catatonia is clearly one of those ways, very obviously Cat went mad with grief. It also had the effect of making the audience feel catatonic, which was sorta cool.

I completely agree I've read the books my dad hasn't but he watches the show and we watch it in separate rooms but I told him I wanted to watch it it with him tonight and we were both just stuck in silince both of us in awe and I thats how cat came off she

I wanted to see the face shredding and laughing ...but I was more upset that she didn't say the hair line and how much Ned loves her hair....but I guess that would go against catatonic.....Also I would have liked to have seen the scenes where the Freys reveal that all the young Frey heirs are not at the wedding.....i thought replacing Jingle Bell with Frey's young wife was brilliant

I actually loved it. She was dead inside before her blood was spilled.

How Michelle Fairley transformed her face (without shredding it) from jovial and beautiful, to madly desperate, to utter despair, to completely dead on the inside...that will haunt me. As a mother, I felt her death long before her throat was slashed.

In other words, I found it to be perfect.

Maybe the producers were afraid with how it would've worked with the rest of that scene? In watching it, it was already pretty dramatic. To go from the Frey-slitting to the Cat-slitting, in a one-two punch, was pretty...POW. Imagining a hysterical Cat clawing her face up in between...maybe they were afraid of overkill and wanted a more subdued moment between each slitting? Almost like a breath...a moment for everything to sort of stop and resonate.

I actually loved it. She was dead inside before her blood was spilled.

How Michelle Fairley transformed her face (without shredding it) from jovial and beautiful, to madly desperate, to utter despair, to completely dead on the inside...that will haunt me. As a mother, I felt her death long before her throat was slashed.

In other words, I found it to be perfect.

Well put, paints the perfect mental picture of the scene. Thank you.

Archived