[Book Spoilers] Catelyn @ the end

I'm glad they didn't have the face shredding and laughing. It wouldn't have had the same effect that it did at the final moment. I think that it was brilliant. She lost her husband, her sons (supposedly), for all she knows Arya and Sansa are dead, she watched Robb and her first grandchild and daughter-in-law killed before her very eyes. She lost everything. And it's a perfect set up for Stoneheart.

I thought it was brilliant and it had the same shock value from my friends who haven't read the books.

you could tell she sensed everything go terriblywron when they started playing rains of Castemere....I guess thats why she lifted Rooses sleeve and slapped him( alhtough that was supposed to be one of the Freys) I thought the savagery was pretty well played out ....though the musicians were actually pretty good....lol

It was great the way they did it. They have a bit of license with how they adapt and some things work better in print than on screen. The quietness of the last few seconds was extremely effective combined with the silent credits.

I don't think she actually said it in the book, either.

No she doesn't, but in a previous episode, I forget which, Jaime says something that he only thought of in the books. I know some people were hoping because of that Cat was going to say it, including me.

I was rather looking forward to her going mad and clawing her face, but the way they did it was fantastic too.

The way she was still and catatonic and the suddenness of her throat being slit was perfectly executed.

Michelle Fairley did well. Very well.

To those who say Cat did not so good, come on now she did GREAT! She did her thing! It was absolutely perfect, because that's how it is when you lose everything you love in just a glimpse. You sit there, out of it, completely gone from reality. So again I say Cat did an awesome job. I love her, I will miss her, and she was and is still beautiful.

I think Cat tearing her face up would've translated terribly to the screen, to be honest. Reading about it is one thing, and it works in the context of the page (much like Daario's blue hair, etc), but would most likely come off has ridiculous/campy on screen.

Just my .02

Yeah, really, really missed Catelyn's clawing her face...Her deep wail was really good, but when they just had her standing, catatonic, as one poster called it, it was so ineffective. Killed the pathos of that moment - big mistake, I think, on part of D and D

Michelle Fairley killed it (...er, so to speak).

I was kind of surprised the face-clawing was cut, though. I did love that one shot panning in on her face as she heard The Rains of Castamere start to play.

Yeah, it wouldn't have worked well in the show. In the books, we see her thought process, how she thinks it's ravens, that the blood on her wrists are worms etc. The way the show did it was the way to show she was crazy without the advantage of thought process. That, and I don't know if the effects would have been good. I mean, the effects for Frey's wife's throat being cut, and Cat's were pretty bad, IMO.

They didn't do the face shredding so they can save time and money on makeup when Stoneheart returns.

Thinkng more on it, I'm liking it more. The last face we see of Cat (in the books) becomes the face of Lady Stoneheart. Cat's last face, her catatonia etc will make for a superb Stoneheart.

I would have loved face shredding too, but it may have been just weird on the show. I don't think I would have liked it. The way they did this though was good, even if the throat slitting did not look too great IMO, but it does not matter. That episode was killer, literally.

I also enjoyed the eerie death silence and gaping maw of Catelyn upon realizing Robb was killed. It showed in those few seconds that Robb was the last thread holding her from being destroyed by grief. He dies and she loses all connection. It makes her look rather dead...a living dead

which is perfect for what is to come. I very much hope they advance that plot for the finale of "Mysha"

A physical assault on herself wouldn't transfer to screen correctly without her inner monologue. It would just look like hysteria. The silence and desolation of her face screams transformation. That is: there was Catelyn before and now there is Catlyn after and the two cannot be reconciled.

when she is brought back as Uncat, it is her in this state

Archived