[Book Spoilers] Catelyn @ the end

Well the long pause was actually after she kills the wife. But yeah, I see what you mean. I wasn't questioning the emotional goal the show was looking to achieve. I just thought it was funny how long it took for a Frey to get over there to do it.

I know that's what you meant. I meant that since they couldn't approach while she threatened the wife they would be a bit away from her when Catelyn killed her. They probably weren't in a huge hurry either since Cat wasn't a threat. I'm not arguing against you, I'm just saying that while you might find it funny it's at least not very strange.

Master acting because that is how they felt the audience was looking back at the TV? Comedy is zombies. What do you take us for, go on and make that face. A: your taking a dump B: you have just watched this episode?

No way on this planet could the transfirmation into being catatonic appear like that. By definition alone, how many are standing while in that state. There is often movement in the eyelids with the eyes as the brain is still working but unregistrative. She simply stood there in theatrics accepting her fate. 10 out of 10 for being a zombie.

She had killed a girl in cold blood dropping the knfie. Then she closes her eyes, neck straining as you can see the actress getting reading for the what is to come, holding breath, body tensing.

It was pathetic making no sense. If knowing death is to come, will you wait for rapture, gimme a break. She went crazy because she was already crazy releasing Jamie and everything else.. A woman in that time of war, not that reaction expected. In effect if going to be killed get on with it, before getting a cramp..

Self Harm happens in every single culture. More so with the Goth genre. In recalling or thinking of loss and pain which are inflicted as scars upon the body through or in extreme anxiety. Self multalation is far more extreme often in ritual.

Ripping hair with raking her nails down her face, skin, in showing hysteria. Expected as from shouting names of her dead kin infront of an audience of killers. Powerless to do nothing much else, she might have tried to throw the knife acting as a hero. Though in that wave of anguish the scream should have lasted and that hysteria could have been so much more.

here are a couple of fine pieces of art depicting Lady Stoneheart, I really like 'em both, that's how I've always figured her....

Lady Stoneheart1

Lady Stoneheart2

what's your favourite?

I'd go with the second picture for one simple reason: In the first picture, the scratches on her face are too even. They look as if she'd dipped her fingers in some colour and then applied the colour as war paint.

here are a couple of fine pieces of art depicting Lady Stoneheart, I really like 'em both, that's how I've always figured her....

Lady Stoneheart1

Lady Stoneheart2

what's your favourite?

Neither both are very poor in description. Number 2 is better then number 1. Number 1 looks like some sort of feline catwoman, elf. Number 2 looks more pained, but a facepainted witch

What you are looking for is something in effect of the Ring or recently Mama both have had reanimated drownings. As Lady Stoneheart being a woman she will keep her faced cowled to retain her beauty. With her vocal cords severed there won't be much sound from herself. When unmasked to reveal her identity that horror would be extreme. No matter how great a necromancer Thoros is, his skills are quite limited when it comes to scarring looking at Dondarrion. Have you seen a drown victim the skin and, eye colouring that decay, hair loss and fishbites, without the throat being cut or lack of claw marks. It is horrific. Though honestly I am not expecting much probably another whitewalker even that is hoping

They might not even disfigure her too much for the sake of the viewers. Plus, they might want her to stay recognizable as former Lady Stark. You know, so that people go "Ah, she's come back from the dead, good for her" without wondering who the hell this mysterious woman might be. There are still a lot of viewers who haven't read the books yet, they might need some sort of visual explanation.

They might not even disfigure her too much for the sake of the viewers. Plus, they might want her to stay recognizable as former Lady Stark. You know, so that people go "Ah, she's come back from the dead, good for her" without wondering who the hell this mysterious woman might be. There are still a lot of viewers who haven't read the books yet, they might need some sort of visual explanation.

I agree, they can't even replace her with another actress, because people wouldn't know who this Lady Stonehearth is.

Honestly, I don't see why she really needs to be disfigured much at all -- there's a reason Tyrion didn't lose his noce.

They might not even disfigure her too much for the sake of the viewers.

I don't really think there's even a need to do it for the same of the plot. What makes her Stoneheart isn't her personal health -- its what happened to her family. They can skip the scratching and the bloating, and just have her unable to speak because of her throat. I think turning her into a Walking Dead extra may not play as well on screen as it did in the books.

I also approve of the change from the raving Catelyn to the quiet version. It conveys essentially the same thing without risking the perception that it was over the top. I don't think the book version of Catelyn's final moments would have translated well to the show. I don't really see it as a lack of ambition that they decided to tone down the outward aspects of Catelyn's breakdown, but a tasteful creative choice. It's like how they kept Tyrion's nose or the show's blessed purge of fools in motley like Jinglebell or Patchface.

True, it is a bit odd to call the choice tasteful in a scene where they had a pregnant woman stabbed in the belly. But that's still my perception of it. I think Catelyn's face clawing and outward insanity works in the book because it is presented in a way that focuses on what is going on inside Catelyn's head while those overt actions are occurring. The reader is detached from the reality of what she is doing just as she is. I don't think they would have pulled off this effect in the show. They could have tried a few things to do it, but I think that in the end a raving face clawing Catelyn would have been seen as out of place, over the top or going too far.

Honestly, I don't see why she really needs to be disfigured much at all -- there's a reason Tyrion didn't lose his noce.

I don't really think there's even a need to do it for the same of the plot. What makes her Stoneheart isn't her personal health -- its what happened to her family. They can skip the scratching and the bloating, and just have her unable to speak because of her throat. I think turning her into a Walking Dead extra may not play as well on screen as it did in the books.

Because a dead person isn't dead? Please ask yourself what a dead person who has been floating in the Trident after a few weeks looks like? The body doesn't sink to begin with, it surfaces floating all the way down to the bandit hideout? Obviously Thoros has been looking into the flames and is hanging around, outisde of the Twins so he can swing by, and pick her up. Go team ninja. Viewers are less confused now. It makes sense. Thoros the beautician knows how to do undead make up.

How do viewers know where Thoros and the undead hideout is located? We have seen the Hound and Arya travelling for how many weeks now, in different locations? Anybody can shoot deer in the kings forest. Nymeria carried her there. Either way I am confused?

She played the part perfectly screaming and using every other emotion. Then suddenly stopped closing her eyes clenching while waiting for rapture that isn't over the top, Thoros save me.........

I thought it was perfect - that empty look on her face when she realises that she's lost everything and that probably all her children are dead. Argh. It was way more effective than having her claw at her face and laugh hysterically, I think that would have been too much to bear for the viewers. That image of Cat standing perfectly still, with that empty look on her face while her throat is being cut - I can't get it out of my head.

I agree, as a viewer, it made me root for someone to put her out of her misery she was suffering so much.

It gave me the closure the book didn't give to me, because reading the same scene made me root for revenge instead.

Lady Stoneheart1

Lady Stoneheart2

what's your favourite?

2nd picture, I think it looks more realistic. The first one looks good, but seems too much like a Ring Wraith or something.

I totally agree. I highly doubt Lady Stoneheart will look a fraction as bad as she is in the books.

Why is everyone assuming they're still going to throw her body into the river? They didn't show Grey Wind killing Freys left and right or finally getting cut down to have his head chopped off and put on Robb's neck, nor did they show Catelyn clawing her own face apart in hysterics. They cut it off just as she dies, so there's no way of knowing until next week what's going to happen to the bodies. If Catelyn somehow gets resurrected without the floating down the river part - she won't look that terrible at all. In fact, Beric Dondarrion, having been resurrected 6 times from some pretty horrific deaths, does not look that terrible - he still has skin tone and almost 'normal' looks about him. Granted, Lady Stoneheart was described as pretty gruesome looking in the books, but they have already deviated from that a lot so I do not think they are going to make her look like a zombie or typical undead. She's going to look as 'normal' as they made Beric look, with a huge gash on her neck and no ability to speak if they do it at all. There's a lot of argument as to whether or not she's even going to be put in the show which leaves a lot of plots unanswered that tied in with Lady Stoneheart's.

Well where would they leave her then? River is the best way so that Beric and BWB will find her, because the river will take her body downstream away from Twins. If they keep her at Twins or nearby I doubt BWB would find her body.

You also can't compare Beric with how Lady Stonehearth would look, Beric was brought back to life right after he died (as seen in one of the episodes), while Cat was dead for days and in a river.

Well where would they leave her then? River is the best way so that Beric and BWB will find her, because the river will take her body downstream away from Twins. If they keep her at Twins or nearby I doubt BWB would find her body.

You also can't compare Beric with how Lady Stonehearth would look, Beric was brought back to life right after he died (as seen in one of the episodes), while Cat was dead for days and in a river.

Again, you're assuming they're actually going to throw her body into the river. They have deviated from the books on many small details so there's no way to predict what's going to happen to her or how she's going to look. While yes, it makes the most sense because that's what happened in the book, but this isn't the books and you should know by now they come up with all sorts of alternative ways to handle the plot, even changing it entirely sometimes.

it's already 100% clear that Lady Stoneheart, if she exists at all on the show, isn't going to look as horrific as she did in the book - she didn't claw her face off before she died. Don't count on them making her face or body bloated and drowned looking either, whether they throw her in the river or not. They've downplayed looks a lot in that respect - television actors all look much better on screen than they were depicted in the books for almost every character across the board, dead or alive.

Archived