[book spoilers]What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions.

Combining history and politics into fantasy doesn't imply hopelessness unless you have a tendency for depression or just a negative outlook on life.
Err... just because it doesn't imply it doesn't mean that employing it is a sign of depression or holding a negative outlook on life. History and politics are full of cases where there is no happy ending. Even when you get to the quintessential fantasy stories, King Arthur's wife cheats on him with his best friend, he has a bastard son by way of his half-sister who kills him and who he kills in turn, and his kingdom is reduced to ruin. The Chronicles of Narnia ends with the destruction of Narnia and the deaths of the Pevensie children. Even Harry Potter killed off Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, and Dumbledore. Writing about bad things happening isn't an indication of having a tendency for depression or a negative outlook on life. It's a recognition of the fact that, yes, bad things happen to good people all the time. And that's particularly true if you're basing your work on real historical events. Not only that, it shows a basic understanding of story structure, that it always has to be darkest before the dawn. We're in the first half of the story. If the good guys win it all now then where does the story go in the second half?

My mother: "HOW DARE YOU TELL ME THIS WAS THE BEST EPISODE EVER!!!! IT WAS TERRIBLE AND SAD! I HATE YOU FOR THIS, WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?! NEXT TIME DON'T SAY ANYTHING!!!!!"

My boyfriend: "Please tell me some Lannisters die soon." He also said: "who the hell do I root for now?"

My boyfriend's friend said: "This episode has convinced me that GoT is better than Breaking Bad."

My dad: "This wasn't sad at all. I'm not depressed like everyone else."

Why? I came precisely for that reason, to read up a bit on what was coming. I seek out "spoilers" to some degree. That's how I prefer to watch shows. Why not?

I have some friends who have not read the books, and one of them also wants me to tell him everything that is going to happen, so yeah, no problem with it.

Honestly I don't see why knowing stuff in advance is called a spoiler. It won't spoil anything, you will just know more going in.

I have some friends who have not read the books, and one of them also wants me to tell him everything that is going to happen, so yeah, no problem with it.

Honestly I don't see why knowing stuff in advance is called a spoiler. It won't spoil anything, you will just know more going in.

Exactly. Like you wouldn't go to the theater without looking up a summary of a play first if you don't care to read the entire original work.

"How come Rob stark is not calling in an air strike on little King Joffrey....oh wait you killed him and his mother and gutted his pregnant wife. F you George Martin. This guy proably microwves cats in his spare time"

:lmao:

My brother asked me "Was 'the guy' who got married murdered as well?" I had to explain to him who Edmure Tully is and his relationship to Cat and Robb and I did spoil him about Edmure living because he likes him a lot despite not really getting who he is.

I taped my friend. Quite humorous, because earlier in the season she begged me to tell me if Robb Stark died and threatened to google him if I didn't tell her. So I said he did but not for a really long time so she wouldn't see anything coming. Yeah, she almost killed me :P I think she'll keep watching, but I don't know. She was seriously done after she thought Bran and Rickon died to the point where I actually had to tell her they weren't dead so she'd keep watching. lol.

When the door shut my mum was like "Why's Cat so worried they've just closed the door?" and then the music started and her face went from confused to horrified. She doesn't have a clue what's going to happen now and has put all her hopes on Dany now that Robb's dead.

This might be a better question for the TWOP thread on this board, but what do non-readers think/assume happened to Blackfish, Edmure and his bride since their deaths were not shown onscreen?

My friend thought Edmure was dead, until I confirmed he wasnt. I was browsing the /tv/ section on 4chan, and people were theorizing on the Blackfish and Edmure's possible deaths,

This might be a better question for the TWOP thread on this board, but what do non-readers think/assume happened to Blackfish, Edmure and his bride since their deaths were not shown onscreen?

I did see suggestions on one board, forgot where, that perhaps Blackfish was in on it because he left to piss and its his attempt to take his family home from Edmure.

I did see suggestions on one board, forgot where, that perhaps Blackfish was in on it because he left to piss and its his attempt to take his family home from Edmure.

That's great, I love it!

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, though, because even in the show Blackfish loves his niece Cat and is protective of his king as well.

Well, I knew Robb and the others would get killed because of this website, so that didn't bother me too much, although I would have preferred to keep having Robb in the story. But the plot was disappointing to me, in part because Arya didn't at least meet up with her mother and brother. If the story had allowed that to happen, at least briefly, it would have been better in my mind. The same goes for Jon not seeing Bran and Rickon, that's just silly. Especially since he sees their wolves come to his aid, he should know that they are nearby.

I think I'm done watching this show, it's just too unsatisfying and disappointing. Glad I never read the books. I just don't get how a man who lives in the sunny Southwest, among the stunning colors of New Mexico, in an incomparable place like Santa Fe, writes such a dark plot. There is nothing but darkness in that storyline, every little bit of hope is always in vain, nothing but dirt and blood and sex. Have some good chili and fry bread and look at that sky above you, Mr. Martin, before you write your next books.

I do not recommend you read or watch the Red Riding series by David Peace then. That was the most depressing story I have ever read so far (apart from The Road, but that was not about history).

Archived