[book spoilers]What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions.

My Unsullied other half:

This is a more cheery episode.

Frey Castle door's close.

"Is this a trap?".

I say nothing. Slaughter ensues.

Talisa stabbed.

"oooooh feck". More arrows.

"Fucking hell" Looks around. "Why are you filming me".

Ensue fight about the mobile phone.

"So does Robb die then?"

"Just watch"

More carnage.

He watches....

"So is there no music on purpose?"

On further querying (and again explaining who Talisa was) he said that it was grim, but a great twist and it has removed two chess pieces and the game will suffer for it.

I had to contact my cousin the next day. She had told me she sat and wept for an hour after Ned died so I was concerned for her. She was like dude wtf, I screamed and I cried I didn't know what to do! She was trying to drag spoilers out of me. I was trying to give her some hope withour spoiling too much. Some of the things that upset me was that she was mad at Jon for betraying Ygritte and thinks Stannis is a bad guy.I told her to read the books. She told me this morning that she downloaded them on her Kindle.

Funny thing is... when reading the books... you think the same thing regarding Jon betraying Ygritte and Stannis being a bad guy. But things change (likewise for Jaime who starts off reviled and then becomes a favorite)

My boss is the only non book reader I know that watches it and early this season he said, "I don't really like Robb Stark anymore. He makes bad decisions." And I was thinking, well he won't be too upset then. But boy was I wrong. He's gone CRAZY! The second I got in the car this morning he started yelling about the episode and how much he hated it. When I said something about not liking Robb Stark, he took the crazy up a notch and yelled, "I DON'T! WHO CARES ABOUT HIM? WHY DID THEY KILL CATELYN SHE WAS A GOOD PERSON! SHE DIDN'T DESERVE IT!!"

The rant continued for 15 minutes. He is especially irate that Arya was so close to seeing her mother. He kept saying, "Arya is all I have left." I mean he just kept yelling about Catelyn for 15 minutes and anytime I tried to say I was really upset about her dying too, he just cut me off and started in on the she didn't deserve to die thing. After the 15 minute rant he said he couldn't talk about it yet. Which, okay...

Then at lunch he started up again and started going on about how they could have just taken Catelyn and Arya hostage and then they would be alive and together. I made the mistake of saying that the Freys were planning on taking Catelyn hostage until she started with the throat slitting. Then he roared, "DON'T YOU DARE BLAME HER FOR THIS!"

I just gave up at that point and nodded along. Apparently I cannot understand his grief. He told me he wasn't watching the finale and I thought he was being one of those people who said they weren't going to watch the show anymore, but he said no, he just needed an extra week to recover.

All in all, it made me feel like my tears were a completely sane reaction.

I really liked how my friend instantly recognized Rains of Castamere as "Lannister music." She texts too much during the show sometimes so she tends to miss little details so I was surprised. I literally took the phone away and hid it from her this episode, lol.

LOL at everyone calling him "Ron Stark" :lol:

And "Walter Frey" :) Loved how that spoiler dude called him "Frey King." Hah. And that guy wasn't lying after all, interestingly.

This is only sort of related but I just realized how ironic it is that Arya ends up in the House of Black and White. Because that's exactly how she used to see the world. Sansa should have told the truth because its the truth and its the right thing to do. The Hound shouldn't have killed her friend because it's wrong to kill him. The Brotherhood is a bunch of liars and they're only claiming that they sold Gendry for their god. It's like she can't see the complexity of decisions that people have to make. And so it's so fitting that she ends up in a place with that name, because that's kind of been her morality so far.

And "Kathryn Stark" and "Aryan Stark," dear God. :drunk:

It is quite a lot harder to get the names right when you only hear them though. When you read them it's very simple as the spelling is completely clear. Add that all people aren't equally good at getting it, while some just care less, and it can become a mess.

I guess this should be a lesson for the people that didn't understand why they changed Asha to Yara. You generally try to avoid people having similar names in shows and film, even when the names are normal ones, because there's always risk of that people don't hear it correctly.

Flatmates were in shock, and angry.

One thing that stood out, of their reactions was "so what's going to happen now? The Starks are dead! Who will fight the Lannisters?" And then lots of speculation about revenge. It seems a lot of people can't comprehend that just because the Starks are mostly all gone, there couldn't possibly be any more plotline left. I guess TV viewers thought this was about a battle between the Starks and the Lannisters. I guess in this way, they've portrayed very well the same naive sentiment of the book characters who pretty much think the same thing, but don't realise a vastly more sinister enemy is lurking.

One of my friends said he didn't want to watch it any more, because he wants battles, not betrayals. Welcome to the Game of Thrones dude.

I love this board, it gives me the best laughs!

My Unsullied bf, before our friends came over for the episode, told me he read a spoiler online saying that Walder kills Robb, and I laughed at told him no, Walder is like 91 years old, what the hell is he going to do???

...After the episode he said I lied to him. I told him I didn't, Walder didn't kill Robb, Roose Bolton did.

It is quite a lot harder to get the names right when you only hear them though. When you read them it's very simple as the spelling is completely clear. Add that all people aren't equally good at getting it, while some just care less, and it can become a mess.

I guess this should be a lesson for the people that didn't understand why they changed Asha to Yara. You generally try to avoid people having similar names in shows and film, even when the names are normal ones, because there's always risk of that people don't hear it correctly.

That's why in dialogue-heavy shows I always, always have on captions.

I love this board, it gives me the best laughs!

My Unsullied bf, before our friends came over for the episode, told me he read a spoiler online saying that Walder kills Robb, and I laughed at told him no, Walder is like 91 years old, what the hell is he going to do???

...After the episode he said I lied to him. I told him I didn't, Walder didn't kill Robb, Roose Bolton did.

Love it! Great way to respond to that.

My friend kept screaming YOU LIED TO ME because she threatened to google Robb Stark earlier in the season if I didn't tell her whether he lived or died (she was developing a crush on him and didn't want to get attached), and since I REALLY didn't want the RW to be spoiled for her while googling Robb, I just said, "oh he dies, but it's actually quite a peaceful death and isn't for a few more seasons." :devil: She was piiissseddd.

Archived