[NO SPOILERS] Art Parkinson tries to upstage RW.

But they are going to the Umbers instead of Skagos......I wonder how this will play out with Davos's arc

On the way to Last Hearth Osha gets wind of how Robb got betrayed by his own bannermen. Fearing the Umbers might do the same, she opts for Skagos instead.

I agree that Rickon as Lord of Winterfell or King in the North seems inevitable, as we were reading the series and after this episode as well. This is probably why GRRM will kill him. Poor Rickon.

I actually thought the opposite after viewing this episode. In that non-book scene, written by two guys who know the ending to the series, we got the following hints about Rickon's future:

1. Rickon telling his older brother "I have to protect you."

2. Bran telling Rickon he'll be the heir if Bran and Robb die.

3. Rickon telling Osha "I know how to swing a sword."

4. Rickon getting all up in Osha's face about how "We're not southerners!"

5. Osha saying of Rickon "He'll learn to walk in darkness."

Not to mention there's an "Heir to Winterfell" theme on the Game of Thrones Season 3 soundtrack, and that was the track that was playing during Bran and RIckon's farewell. You could also say it's important that the scene with Bran telling Rickon about him being the heir to Winterfell if anything should befall Robb and himself was placed in the same episode where Robb dies.

If that doesn't scream "Rickon is going to be badass future Lord of Winterfell/King in the North," I don't know what does.

This is the break-out moment for little Rickon for sure.

I'm pretty confident everybody watching the TV show had forgotten about him by now.

Then he comes back with his first big speaking role, which is also the best bit of acting I've seen in a while.

Big props for Art. He was very, very good in this episode.

Im always happy to see that the scenes i find extraordinary, almost always catches the same attention by the community too. This little guy acted like a genius! How old is he, 5? Can't wait to see his other works!

They have plenty of time to get to Skagos. And it may turn out the never make it to Last Hearth. Just because they plan to go somewhere doesn't mean they'll get there.

I'm in two minds about whether we should see Osha and Rickon in S4. On the one hand it would be good to keep them on screen. Natalia Tena especially is great. On the other hand I donlt want them on screen for the sake of it (like half (or more) of Theon's scenes this season). If there's no real forward momentum achieved with these two then they should disappear until Davos finds them. Natalia could be used for a wee bit of exposition, but other than North of the Wall history what real stories would she plausibly know about Westeros.

I had to go back and re-watch the entire episode because the suspense and horror of the final RW scene pretty much made me forget the rest of the episode even though I knew it was coming...

On second watching, I realized how incredibly good that scene was and done fairly close to the books in many ways, especially Bran's spectacular warging into Hodor which I felt they did a terrific job of doing and I remember being a particularly meaningful moment of realization in the books for all of them and cheering for him warging into Summer to help Jon out too.

But the bits with little Rickon were endearingly sweet and bittersweet at that when you rewatch it and realize how terribly it's going to end for their Mother and older brother Robb. That little boy did a fantastic job evoking real emotion and passion. Bravo!

Archived