[Spoilers] Will Michelle Fairley Stay in the Show?

7V3N

If indeed the BwB finding Cat's corpse is the last scene of the season, I wonder if it will involve Nymeria somehow. Remember that it was actually Nymeria who pulled the corpse out of the river. If they are going to be beefing up UnCat's role (and I hope they do, I always felt it was kind of a tease in the novels) they I hope that they do the same with Nymeria, although that's less likely because the direwolf scenes are supposedly the hardest to shoot.

It was too bad she didn't claw her face up to ribbons, but the less scars an actor has, the easier make-up sessions are (hence why Tyrion never lost his nose, that'd be hell to make look realistic every episode). The way she just sorta stared blankly into space after cutting Frey's wife's throat, to me that spoke just as many volumes as hysterical laughter and "Not my hair, Ned loves my hair!"

Agree Frey-A-La-Mode. I too hope that we see some of Nymeria. Maybe even just a shot of her pack sniffing the corpse on the shore of the river, before we see Nym casually walk up and pull Cat out of the water. It'd be a great sort of double-teaser for viewers. I also agree that I thought, given the lack of internal thoughts, the show handled Cat's break well, though differently. We saw how much that last moment was to her, offering herself as a hostage and threatening Frey's (in the show) wife, only to be sort of laughed at for a fairly empty bluff. Her scream was haunting and really made me feel for Cat, then she just goes blank. It just emphasized, I think, the complete loss she had endured up to that point.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned yet, excuse me if that is the case.

Conleth Hill (Varys) had a small role on "Suits" last season as well, so it isn't that unlikely Michelle Fairley could do both. Lady Stoneheart doesn't need that many scenes anyway.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned yet, excuse me if that is the case.

Conleth Hill (Varys) had a small role on "Suits" last season as well, so it isn't that unlikely Michelle Fairley could do both. Lady Stoneheart doesn't need that many scenes anyway.

Exactly. It is very dependent on her schedule and the show-runners' plans for Stoneheart on-screen. I could definitely see her only guest starring for a couple of episodes next season. Just as long as she wants to, they want her to (and why wouldn't either side want to?), and if the schedules fit.

• 1 month later...

Is it possible that the production team might have already quietly filmed some scenes/facial shots with Michelle Fairley during season 3 which can be used later when they depict Nymeria (hopefully) or the BwB finding Catelyn's body washed up in Season 4?

Could the team perhaps use these as overlay or digitally enhanced 'special effects' or similar whilst using/introducing another actor in the Lady Stoneheart role, given that Lady Stoneheart hasn't really got Catelyn's voice and is often depicted in the books as shrouded anyway? (Mind you we don't really know the full extent of Lady Stonehearts's role in the books yet either; maybe this wouldn't work beyond the initial Season 4 scene at the riverside). Just a thought.

Like posters JP Dayne, 7V3N, Frey-a-la-mode and others, above, I was really hoping they would show this scene (and definitely with Nymeria) at the end of season 3 ... Oh well - something to loook forward to I guess...!

Instead of trying to keep Fairley's return a secret (and risk having the surprise leak to non-readers), I think the best thing for HBO to do is be seemingly transparent about it. Mention her coming back in all the press releases, label her as a "special guest star", and have the non-readers puzzle over how she could be coming back. Then, in the first episode have her appear in one of Bran's dreams. People will assume that's all she was coming back for, and the LS reveal will be preserved.

Instead of trying to keep Fairley's return a secret (and risk having the surprise leak to non-readers), I think the best thing for HBO to do is be seemingly transparent about it. Mention her coming back in all the press releases, label her as a "special guest star", and have the non-readers puzzle over how she could be coming back. Then, in the first episode have her appear in one of Bran's dreams. People will assume that's all she was coming back for, and the LS reveal will be preserved.

I've been thinking that as well - heck, you could even show a shot of her with a standing Bran and people would remember that gorgeous dream from last season. Scary Cat in a tree!

I also think that GRRM's description of Cat's final moments could not have been done on film, especially the way they upped the ante in the Red Wedding. It would have been a horror too far at that point. I much prefer the last hoarse cry as she kills Mrs. Frey and then a look of utter emptiness. As Beric said, less and less comes back each time, and what's left to come back of Cat at all?

I am hoping for a tenth episode reveal as in the books, though. Nymeria retrieving Cat from the river and the BwB finding her can all be done without Fairley, all in the first episode.

Although I have to admit, watching Lady Stoneheart wake up the first time would be mind-blowing to watch.

• 3 months later...

They would never cast someone else to play LSH. Michelle Fairley is a genius, easily one of the best actresses on the show. Why else would they introduce Beric? And yeah, just like a lot of you have said, they are keeping it a secret just as they kept Richard Madden being killed off a secret. And it will be an EPIC reveal.

Having Cat appearing in one of Bran's dreams would definitely be amazing; and since it's a TV show, it would be great to see a dream that makes viewers reminisce Cat and somehow feel grief (don't shutter us completely once again!).

I highly doubt we'll get to see Nym dragging the corpse out of the water. Despite that the filming is difficult, it has a good chance to raise suspicions about Cat's resurrection, especially if Beric or Thoros is involved in the scene.

If it helps, I've noticed people talking about Suits above - I'm a huge, huge fan of that show and near as I can tell, Ava Hessington (that would be Michelle's amazing Suits character) is not returning for the second half of Suits season 3. It wouldn't make sense, considering the story arcs in question, and none of the picture-happy cast showed her back on the set when second-half shooting commenced. Their shooting runs on a different schedule to GoT anyway (for example, they wrapped a few weeks back and GoT 4 is still going), so there really wouldn't be conflict even if she did return to both shows and the commitments were more than a couple days.

• 5 months later...

I think she will be back, and it could be the last scene of season 4. They will do it as a shock reveal to finish the season, probably with the merret frey hanging. (Or a similar character) it would be a fantastic climax to the season

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think we will see her being fished out of the river, as we never saw her being thrown in to begin with. Rather, I think the closing scene of Season 4 will be the big reveal, as per the relevant epilogue. At least that's how I hope it goes, dragging her out of the water would be too much of a give away.

Archived