(No Spoilers) Talisa's letter from Episode 7

Sooner or later David Peterson is going to post the translation of the letter in his blog, and we'll know about its content.

But I'm sure the VOlantis won't get involved with the Northern cause. I'd say more, but it's hard to do it in a "no spoiler" thread.

A poster on another thread posited the theory that Talisa was writing out a decree legitimizing Jon Snow, which would be explained by her scene with Catelyn and how she'd considered asking to have Jon legitimized but changed her mind afterwards. I'm not sure if that's feasible, but I looked it up and the wiki states that a royal decree is necessary. That leaves some wiggle room allowing for a queen having the power to legitimize a bastard as well as a king. If so that might be what that letter is: a decree from the Queen in the North legitimizing Jon Snow and making him Jon Stark.

I'm just wondering where all the people who were 100% positive Talisa was a spy have disappeared to? I was hoping for a thread where I could politely say, "I told you so."

I didn't think she was a spy, but I seriously considered it for a moment when robb tries to kiss her

and she refuses (her nervousness somehow hinted at the upcoming slaughter)

A poster on another thread posited the theory that Talisa was writing out a decree legitimizing Jon Snow, which would be explained by her scene with Catelyn and how she'd considered asking to have Jon legitimized but changed her mind afterwards. I'm not sure if that's feasible, but I looked it up and the wiki states that a royal decree is necessary. That leaves some wiggle room allowing for a queen having the power to legitimize a bastard as well as a king. If so that might be what that letter is: a decree from the Queen in the North legitimizing Jon Snow and making him Jon Stark.

That's interesting. But which Northerner will understand High Valyrian? A Maester perhaps? I think Talisa, as Queen in the North, can definitely do it and it would be a nice twist

Read an interview with once of the D&D guys saying that they included Talisa in the RW to give it an extra punch, which I think it did. Looking back at their statement that the RW was the scene they most looked forward to fiming, I wonder if they did the Talisa/Jeyne variant just for that reason, right from the start. She was a wildcard precisely because she wasn't in the books, which gave them the ability to still surprise readers with her fate.

Right as the scene was going on, a non-reader asked me what was going to happen, and I said that I wasn't quite sure, because there were characters present who weren't present in the books. I actually felt like I didn't know what was going to happen, which was a very much appreciated feeling for someone like me who has been reading the series since it was first published.

I'm just wondering where all the people who were 100% positive Talisa was a spy have disappeared to? I was hoping for a thread where I could politely say, "I told you so."

Well go ahead and tell me so... I thought she was a spy.

Makes me think the word "petty" when I read this post though...

Must not have much self-confidence if you need to "told you so" about book theories.

Talisa has no official power unless Robb has specifically delegated her some, for which we've had no indication. So she can't legitimise a bastard.

Why would she do it anyway, it's very much against her own interests since it creates a possible rival for her child(ren)?

Talisa has no official power unless Robb has specifically delegated her some, for which we've had no indication. So she can't legitimise a bastard.

Why would she do it anyway, it's very much against her own interests since it creates a possible rival for her child(ren)?

LOL, she never even mentions Jon Snow. People are crazy. The Talisa letter will turn out to be "hi mom, i just got married, blah, blah, blah". There is nothing more to this plot line and thank the old gods and the new for that.

Robb would have sat on the Iron Throne, and Jon as heir to Winterfell.

LOL, she never even mentions Jon Snow. People are crazy. The Talisa letter will turn out to be "hi mom, i just got married, blah, blah, blah". There is nothing more to this plot line and thank the old gods and the new for that.

The Talisa letter was a really nice move on the part of D&D because it kept readers, who know the RW is coming, guessing as to her ultimate intentions. I didn't think she was "in" on it, but I didn't know until the shock of her killing. Watching her added a lot of the tension I felt waiting for it all to begin.

Also, I again have to give D&D more pluses for this because there were a great many complaints that Robb was no longer a sympathetic character, so people might not take his death as that bad a thing. By having Talisa pregnant, and by making her murder so freaking ghastly with the stabs to the womb, I don't think there are many people who will forget who the real bad guys are.

The Talisa letter was a really nice move on the part of D&D because it kept readers, who know the RW is coming, guessing as to her ultimate intentions. I didn't think she was "in" on it, but I didn't know until the shock of her killing. Watching her added a lot of the tension I felt waiting for it all to begin.

Also, I again have to give D&D more pluses for this because there were a great many complaints that Robb was no longer a sympathetic character, so people might not take his death as that bad a thing. By having Talisa pregnant, and by making her murder so freaking ghastly with the stabs to the womb, I don't think there are many people who will forget who the real bad guys are.

Eh, I thought they were beating the viewer over the head with it, okay, I get it, she's pregnant and they're in love...but then I hated the Talisa storyline from day one, and thought making everything about Talisa and Robb diminished the tragedy of the RW and took the focus off the war and put it onto a Romeo and Juliet type cliche of doomed lovers.

Just because they killed her does not mean she wasn't in on it though.

She had played out her usefulness and why take any chance of having a Robb heir running around.

Heck she may have survived if she had stuck to the plan, but she fell in love with Robb during her "game" and then she was treated just like one of the Starks.

I didn't think she was a spy, but I seriously considered it for a moment when robb tries to kiss her

and she refuses (her nervousness somehow hinted at the upcoming slaughter)

I think she just wasn't down with a public display of affection in front of Walder Frey, sorry, LORD Frey (No disrespect dude, don't hurt me). The fact that Robb wanted to show affection at the wedding shows how clueless he was. But it also shows just how sacred guest rights are and that Lord Frey is such a prick! Anyways, Jeyne---er Talisa, was just trying to be polite by not flaunting their love in front of the guests of the house Robb scorned. I suppose in retrospect they should have screwed on the dais.

The fact that the Freys killed Talisa does not mean that she wasn't Tywin's spy. Rather it goes to show how manipulative Tywin is. Remember, the Westerlings were "in" on the RW in the books and some of them died there because Tywin didn't tell all the players who else was involved.

I admit this makes it far less likely she was a spy and we may never learn the truth... but IMO, her death does not preclude the possibility that she was Tywin's plant.

Robb would have sat on the Iron Throne, and Jon as heir to Winterfell.

You apparently haven't paid much attention to the show or the books. They are not trying to conquer the Iron Throne. They seceded from the Kingdom. The late King in the North did not have any ambition to ruling the 7 Kingdoms.

The fact that the Freys killed Talisa does not mean that she wasn't Tywin's spy. Rather it goes to show how manipulative Tywin is. Remember, the Westerlings were "in" on the RW in the books and some of them died there because Tywin didn't tell all the players who else was involved.

I admit this makes it far less likely she was a spy and we may never learn the truth... but IMO, her death does not preclude the possibility that she was Tywin's plant.

Agree with this. There were several of us here who said that even if she was acting as a spy that would not preclude here being killed at the RW, in fact it may have been unavoidable (why would Tywin want his duplicity known? Simply better to get rid of the wench and to hell with it...)

Archived