[book spoilers] fat Merman

It's more like they didn't want to pay real actors to be glorified extras this season only to have real parts in seasons 4 & 5. Remember Roose Bolton in Season 1? Yeah, me neither. It's like going on and on about the Reeds not showing up at Winterfell in season 2- they're saving money. Also, if you start someone with a tiny part they're less likely to stick around for when you really need them.

This. They did have Beric Dondarion in S1 though. Makes me wonder if the guy in S1 was always intended to be THE Beric and the actor didn't want to sit around a full season without doing anything, or if they just casted him for a small part and recast later...

If I'm not mistaken, I think Manderly was in two scenes. There's the first scene when he's at the head dinner table of the reception and then there's the scene when Robb and Talisa are talking about the name of the child. I think Manderly is in the background talking to Black Walder. Could be mistaken. I was almost like they wanted to drop them into the background of that shot for a reason. Minutes later, Black Walder kills Talisa.

Four scenes, actually. He is behind Robb/Cat in the wedding ceremony, and Cat crawls past his corpse later (in which, in a cool nod to readers, he has a bolt through his mouth, just like in the book)

Nah, I think they have to move the wedding to S4 to keep Ramsay and Roose on screen after their big debut as villains. However no way in seven hells am I letting D+D have the wedding without Manderly, :P that, plus the need to keep Davos on screen means all the Manderly stuff can be this season.

Surely not- that would involve rushing through/condensing an awful lot of storyline up on the wall. It doesn't make any sense sending Davos down to meet Manderly until after Stannis has secured the wall and even then, there is a lot of story to get through- Sallador's wavering faith, Davos' being marooned, Davos getting to WH, Davos being imprisoned, the Freys, the big reveal- not to mention the creation of Reek, and the Moat Cailin adventure. Seriously, that is too much to cram in to one season. Hell- its taken Jon one season to get from the Frostfangs to Queenscrown.

Roose can get plenty of story taking Moat Cailin, as can Ramsey and Theon- assuming Ramsey doesn't go on a Rickon boy-hunt of course. Tricking the Iron-born, winning the fort and having them skinned is plenty of story.

Great spot Rabid Grunt. Thanks! Manderly is in loads of shots- acting his socks off, poor man.

There's no point casting people for bit parts because if you later need them you may end up getting screwed by them getting other work. Case in point being the Great John.

There isn't anything wrong with telling not showing in later seasons. GRRM does this in the book anyway so it's not like it is even D&D "butchering" the story. Both Manderly and Dustin talk at length about how pissed they are with the Freys. The same thing is going to happen in the show. Ultimately those killed at the Red Wedding aren't important to the story going forward -- the reactions of those who survive are what's important. Why waste precious screen time and budget?

Surely not- that would involve rushing through/condensing an awful lot of storyline up on the wall. It doesn't make any sense sending Davos down to meet Manderly until after Stannis has secured the wall and even then, there is a lot of story to get through- Sallador's wavering faith, Davos' being marooned, Davos getting to WH, Davos being imprisoned, the Freys, the big reveal- not to mention the creation of Reek, and the Moat Cailin adventure. Seriously, that is too much to cram in to one season. Hell- its taken Jon one season to get from the Frostfangs to Queenscrown.

Roose can get plenty of story taking Moat Cailin, as can Ramsey and Theon- assuming Ramsey doesn't go on a Rickon boy-hunt of course. Tricking the Iron-born, winning the fort and having them skinned is plenty of story.

Great spot Rabid Grunt. Thanks! Manderly is in loads of shots- acting his socks off, poor man.

I think there's less story than you think. It seems that Salla has already abandoned Stannis in the show (though I can see him helping Davos free Gendry as one last favour.). Davos being marooned on the Three Sisters is almost certainly being cut. It doesn't add much to the story aside from another wrinkle into the Jon mystery, and a bit of world building.

It also seems that Moat Cailin has been cut from the show (else why not use Robb's master plan as a great time to engrave it in viewer's memories?). I also doubt that we'll be seeing anything of Rickon being hunted by Ramsay. It just seems so superfluous and to time-consuming with little material to work with.

It makes enough sense for Stannis to dispatch Davos to Whiteharbour before taking the Wall, to help consolidate his claim in one fell swoop.

So yeah I see the northern story revolving around the Boltons pushing the Ironborn out of a random northern castle with Theon's help and introducing us to Jeyne Poole as Fake Arya. At Winterfell there's some politiking with the northern lords (Hother Umber, and Lady Dustin?) extrapolated from Theon's early ADWD chapters. Meanwhile Davos is sent by Stannis whilst en route to the Wall to treat with Manderly, who's also hosting Black Walder and Lame Lothar Frey (who we've already been introduced to.). Davos is sent off to Skaagos episode 6-7, and Manderly arrives at Winterfell an episode or two later for Ramsay and Farya's wedding.

The Freys serving up a dead son to Lord Manderly and lying about who killed him, and Lord Manderly apparently believing him is fine by me. We can get the expose' about the Manderly's history with the Starks and how "bravely" his son fought when talking to Davos. It doesn't need some Manderly talking 2 seasons earlier for people to buy into it. We know Robb had "bannermen" had "lords" and that we probably haven't met all of them. I'm fine with that.

Yes, as much as I would have liked to see some explicit identification of least some of the Robb's bannermen, it would just be confusing to the non-readers.

It's already confusing enough: my wife (non-reader) keeps mixing up Roose and Davos.

Well the Davos / Manderly meeting falls into the time-frame of AFFC, so it is not impossible depending on whether or not bits of AFFC is incoprporated into S4 and when Stannis arrives at the wall.

Yeah I think Chronologically it having Davos at least meet him in S4 may even be more accurate, in the books his imprisonment would have to take a while as he must first meet Manderlay, news of his imprisonment must reach KL, demands for Davos execution reach white harbour, news of his execution reach KL again, then his son must reach White Harbour (obviously the longest period of time).

From his meeting to being told to get Rickon, 2 months of time I don't think is that much of a stretch. Being imprisonsed by Manderley sounds like a good finish to Davos' S4 arc.

Four scenes, actually. He is behind Robb/Cat in the wedding ceremony, and Cat crawls past his corpse later (in which, in a cool nod to readers, he has a bolt through his mouth, just like in the book)

I noticed the pin on Manderly during the wedding scene. I'll have to re-watch to see the bolt through the mouth. Good eyes!

They still could name or reference the dead bannermen in the next episode. The Red Wedding isn't over yet according to the episode promo.

Oh, and speaking of bannermen, I didn't see Dacey Mormont! Anyone else able to confirm that?

I think there is no mention of the Mormont girls in the show yet.

Bastards!

Did we see him die?

He got shot inside his mouth, I think. I doubt he survived.

Anyone have a screenshot of this dude? I watched it twice and I didn't notice him.

Here:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/968838_557592050930380_2022334857_n.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BMG5-b6CQAAOxMQ.jpg:large

If you google him + Red Wedding you might find a few gifs.

I've also been worried about the lack of representation of Robb's bannermen in the show this season. My Unsullied friends can literally not name a single other northern house. Obviously, they don't know anything about his bannermen in the riverlands, either. It would have been hard to make room for it, and they really needed to focus ALL available efforts on Roose to set him up. And you know what? They still didn't do a good job of that. Until this episode, none of my Unsullied friends had any inkling of what Roose's name was. They knew he was one of Robb's guys, and paid him just about no mind. So yeah, I can see why they couldn't afford to build up any of his bannermen aside from Edmure and Brynden Tully; no time, and viewers have a hard time keeping track of this enormous cast of characters. I watched season one before I read the books, and I vaguely remember how hazy my grasp was on the extended cast and their family names, regions, et cetera.

I've also been worried about the lack of representation of Robb's bannermen in the show this season. My Unsullied friends can literally not name a single other northern house. Obviously, they don't know anything about his bannermen in the riverlands, either. It would have been hard to make room for it, and they really needed to focus ALL available efforts on Roose to set him up. And you know what? They still didn't do a good job of that. Until this episode, none of my Unsullied friends had any inkling of what Roose's name was. They knew he was one of Robb's guys, and paid him just about no mind. So yeah, I can see why they couldn't afford to build up any of his bannermen aside from Edmure and Brynden Tully; no time, and viewers have a hard time keeping track of this enormous cast of characters. I watched season one before I read the books, and I vaguely remember how hazy my grasp was on the extended cast and their family names, regions, et cetera.

I was the same, and I remember I thought Lancel was Loras in the scene where Cersie gets news of Jaime being captrued. Needless to say I was thoroughly confused.

I was watching S1 with commentary and Benioff and Weiss say something like "Dacey Mormont" when the one woman at the King in the North scene laughs. So I guess that was supposed to be Dacey but was never named...Or seen again lol.

Maege Mormont was seen a couple of times briefly in season 1, most notably laughing about the Southern god being wrong in the "King in the North" scene.

I did not notice even after looking for him possibly on the 4th rewatch after looking at this thread.

It is a good catch...although I think those that have said we will not see him again are correct. He is and is not Manderly all at the same time.

They use the tapestry of the book to fill a room with background characters so this guy is in the role of a Manderly. Until he actually is in the story and is cast then it is not official... I doubt they spend alot of time casting these guys...it is likely someones unemployed brother. Not like HBO is generous enough to pay a good acter an advance to engage.

Mostly, I think that is why we get to follow Theon's story. Alfie is Theon in my eyes... would not have wanted him to be re-cast. They might have to do the same with Osha and rickon so mayhaps we we see the landscape or far off Skaggos

It is a good catch...although I think those that have said we will not see him again are correct. He is and is not Manderly all at the same time.

Seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread. Ser Wendel Manderly was slain at the Red Wedding, not Lord Wyman Manderly (ser Wendel's father). We won't see him again cause he was killed. We will see Lord Wyman Manderly hopefully next season.

I hope they do a good job making the audience believe Davos is dead. I remember being pretty shocked but at the same time thought if he really killed him off there'd be more to it than just a letter Cersei reads.

I was watching S1 with commentary and Benioff and Weiss say something like "Dacey Mormont" when the one woman at the King in the North scene laughs. So I guess that was supposed to be Dacey but was never named...Or seen again lol.

Too bad. I liked the Mormont women. Oona could have been Dacey instead of "Talisa", and her presence on a battlefield makes more sense.

Archived