[Book Spoiler] As A Book Reader...

As a book reader, I think what affected me the most about the televised Red Wedding was Queen Talisa's death. I know she wasn't a popular character, especially because of the deviation from Jeyne Westerling, but the little tid bits throughout the season of her and Robb's relationship, as well as the fact that she was pregnant, really got to me.

Especially the brutality with which she was killed. The repeated stabbing in the stomach was the most graphic image I think I've ever seen on television.

My question, to other book readers, is what were you most affected by in the televised Red Wedding, as opposed to aSoS' Red Wedding?

My favorite moment is definitely when Rains of Castamere starts playing and Cat looks up at the musicians. Then Lord Bolton's chainmail.

The door closes and Rains of Castamere starts playing ... pure gold.

Talisa being stabbed and the naming of their unborn child also got to me.

I hate Talisa, but I still don't enjoy seeing any pregnant woman being stabbed like that. However, Robb and Talisa bugged me right up into the end and I think the cheesiness was an all-time high for right up until the stabbing. And it was very contrived. Them talking about baby names literally a few minutes before she was killed and kissing and fondling each other right in front of Walder Frey (how inappropriate, by the way) was incredibly heavy-handed. It was hard to me to relate to anything past, "wow, the thought of a pregnant woman being stabbed like that is awful." And it kind of reminded me of a shanking prison shower scene the way she was being stabbed. It was a little over-the-top. I don't think it's the most brutal thing I've ever seen on tv (there are a lot of fucked up things in Oz), but it was definitely one of the most graphic in the last few years - maybe? I haven't seen Spartacus though.

As far as what affected me, it was a pretty tense and powerful scene when Roose had Catelyn look under her sleeves. I wish he didn't have that weird smile, but that's pretty a minor complaint. His eyes are scary as hell - I know they aren't like Book Roose's eyes, but he has that Gustavo Fring look in him. He's great. I know it makes more sense for it to be someone else like it was in the books (considering that Roose was getting all armored up and ready to stab Robb at that point), but having it be Roose made it quite a bit more frightening. Also, Arya seeing Grey Wind was a nice addition, although I wish she would have released him. That damn budget.

Talisa being stabbed was pretty horrific! fantastic job on that one I gotta say. also Cat killing Walders wife instead of a mentally challenged grandson was pretty hardcore too coupled with his lack of regard for her life, Arya being so happy just before she realises whats happening, greywind closing his eyes that was pretty messed up, I was rather hurt poor greywind never got to taste son frey flesh ... sad sad...

I was also affected by Talisa's death, and I did not like her before, it was horrible to watch. And I admit I felt sad when Robb bent over Talisa's corpse. I can't imagine what it would be like to have to see that happening to your pregnant wife. Watching your loved ones being slaughtered and unable to do anything is probably one of the worst scenarios ever. :bawl:

I also loved the scene in which the door is closed and Rains of Castamere start playing, this scene was done really well. I loved the violin version they used during this episode, it was so beautiful and haunting. I'm actually glad that they did not have the bad musicians like in the book.

The sight of her getting stabbed repeatedly in the stomach was unbelievable, made certain it was shocking even for people who've read the books. To actually start the slaughter off with that.

Again, got to hand it to D+D, that's pretty bold television, though I think it may have been too much for a lot of people.

Visually, Talisa was the most disturbing for me--Not just because of the stabbing, but the look on her and Robbs faces as it wqs happening. Say what you will about the Talisa character, but I think Oona Chaplin deserves major props for her performance.

But I have to say, the build up was something out of a horror movie. The thud of the doors closing followed by the somber, chilling melody of TRoC was utterly terrifying. Cats suspicious looks, The Hound being refused entry to the feast, and Roose Boltons chain mail/piercing gaze to Cat were all notes that were perfectly struck in the prelude to the carnage.

I liked hte fact that they put some kind of guest right rites in the episode, eating the pieces of bread when Robb first speaks to Walder.

I hope it gets elaborated upon, for those non-readers, to realize how big a deal killing a guest under your own roof is.

when the rains of castamere started playing, i started shaking

I was shaking the entire episode (so I'm pretty sure my non-reader boyfriend knew something was up), but then my heart started pounding when The Rains of Castamere started. Reading what happens in the book didn't even come close to preparing me for actually seeing it. I was bawling my eyes out the second the crossbows fired.

Then Grey Wind. Oh, poor, poor Grey Wind.

I liked hte fact that they put some kind of guest right rites in the episode, eating the pieces of bread when Robb first speaks to Walder.

I hope it gets elaborated upon, for those non-readers, to realize how big a deal killing a guest under your own roof is.

yes I loved that too and I also hope non reading people get the chance to understand exactly how bad it as, and how huge of a violation it is to break the protection of guest rights.

and again the stabbing right in the baby was pretty terrible, but really greatly done my hat off to D&D on that one, they might screw up some really good stuff for me but THAT was epic in a terrible conflicting and satisfying kind of way

1. I feel like when the orchestra started playing and I sat Catelyn's reaction, I knew it had to be "The Rains of Castamere" and I knew the bloodbath wasn't far behind!

2. I agree that when Jeyne was stabbed in the belly 5x I was in total shock. I even watched it again last night and I still almost couldn't believe what I'd just seen.

3. I remember Arya's POV chapters in the book and I never realized Sandor got her so close to the castle. I always assumed they were further out, like near the outer edge of Rob b's army.

I guess everything came as a shock to me cuz I knew HBO would do a good job with it and that's also what I was afraid of. Aside from not having Catelyn scratch up her face, I'd say they did justice to GRRM's writing. Not a perfect score, but I'd give the RW scene an A.

I didn't think the Red Wedding could haven been one-upped and made even more horrifying than it already was, but the show did just that. Watching pregnant Talisa being stabbed in the belly was the worst for me as well, and I disliked her as much as everybody else. I was shaking too by the time the episode was over.

They did a great job of brining the shock and horror from the pages to the screen. The addition of Talisa now makes more sense because it made the RW even worse. You have his pregnant wife being stabbed in the belly right in front of you. The music was great, definitely good choice to have talented musicians instead of hacks like in the book.

Talisa's death because I didn't know it was going to happen-especially in such a brutal way. I never really liked her character before but now that I know her fate, I feel as if I can appreciate her character more without all the suspicions and theories (Spy, Fake Arya etc.)

I also thought michelle fairley did amazing on portraying Catelyn's suspicion when the Rains of Castamere began playing and the way she looked at Roose Bolton. Her pleading with Robb telling him to leave was heartbreaking and the way Robb said 'mother' was acted greatly, he was like a lost little boy.. :crying:

Talisa being stabbed in the stomach was powerful, brutal and horrific, but for me, the image I found most painful to look at was the blood pouring out of Walder's wife's slitted throat, then topped off by Cat's. It was so sudden, and so creepily understated by comparison to Talisa's fate, and so final. (ok, I appreciate the irony of that statement)

It creeped me out in an insidious way in the sense that taking life can be that simple- she looked fine, but then blood started pouring out of that thin cut in her neck...end of. it totally freaked me out.

I know they were trying to convey that Cat's life was over in her head anyway, but in the books, her ravings and screaming made her death feel more of a mercy than it did on the show, and my imagination is less visceral too!

Archived