Roose Bolton in TRoC (book spoilers)

Continue to be impressed by McElhatton's performance, but I didn't really like him scuttling off like a rat after Cat struck him. What's more, his reactions to Cat in their last scene together were bizarre; he neither seemed to hide nor care about Cat finding his little secret out. His eyes even dropped right down to his extended arm, as if to say, "Look what I have under my sleeve." He seemed utterly unconcerned and aloof. What was he expecting?

Still, a great portrayal. His killer blow was... well, killer.

Continue to be impressed by McElhatton's performance, but I didn't really like him scuttling off like a rat after Cat struck him. What's more, his reactions to Cat in their last scene together were bizarre; he neither seemed to hide nor care about Cat finding his little secret out. His eyes even dropped right down to his extended arm, as if to say, "Look what I have under my sleeve." He seemed utterly unconcerned and aloof. What was he expecting?

I've been a HUGE fan of Roose's performances... up until last night.

The smug smile he had on his face when Cat saw his armor was totally off. I never really got the impression that Roose enjoyed his betrayal. It was simply practical from his position to turn his cloak. Also, his ninja entrance to deliver the final blow came out of left field, and his delivery of his line seemed angry, instead of the calm, calculated I expected.

he probably didn't want to be standing with all the people the crossbowmen were aiming at.

i loved his smirking. i think it was less about the betrayal and more about the plan coming together. roose likes the game

Michael McElhatton is killing it as Roose. Can't wait to see some of his stuff next season. Maybe they'll even up the stakes as well once Tywin's dead. Instead of lord, perhaps Roose will declare himself King in the North.

I think Roose knew he was going to pull it off no matter what at that point. It's a game to him, and it seems he was simply rubbing it in before the end. I also didn't like that he fled, but I didn't pick up on what others pointed out either: he was getting out of the way before the arrows loosed. Roose Bolton is not a man to flee after all, and next week it looks like he's personally going to be enjoying the sites of Robb's army being slaughtered.

It did look weird - as if Catelyn had actually somehow managed to generate enough force in her slap that he literally went flying out the room. Would have looked better if he just took the slap, looked at her and then backed off at which point it cuts to the crossbows on the balcony who pop up and take aim. I did love it in general though and overly dramatic reaction from Roose was in keeping with the tone of the rest of the scene - it was sort of like an opera the way everything was choreographed.

I've been a HUGE fan of Roose's performances... up until last night.

The smug smile he had on his face when Cat saw his armor was totally off. I never really got the impression that Roose enjoyed his betrayal. It was simply practical from his position to turn his cloak. Also, his ninja entrance to deliver the final blow came out of left field, and his delivery of his line seemed angry, instead of the calm, calculated I expected.

I definitely think he took some amusment in it. How else do you explain his wry "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" as he made the killing blow?

Considering what he does to the Starks and what a bastard (pun intended) his son is, it's really kind of ridiculous how much I enjoy Roose Bolton as a character. But I do. One of the absolutely best players in the game. While I seriously doubt that Lady Barbrey Dustin will make it into the show, I hope that some element of her description of him will still be included, even if they give it to another character.

Changes or not, Michael McElhatton was great last night (and if the sheer number of Internet freakouts, new Tumblrs, and new YouTube fads like "Roose Trollton" are anything to go by, he's gained substantially more notoriety). He's giving an excellent performance as the Leech Lord (even sans leeches), and I hope that he gets a lot more to do in Season 4.

"A peaceful land. A quiet people. That has always been my rule. Make it yours." (I can just picture him saying this to Iwan Rheon's Ramsay. So good).

I haven't watched the final final scene again because god damn but yeah, the way he (Bruuuuce) scuttles away after Cat slaps him kind of cracks me up a bit. All I can hear is Dr. Zoidberg going "woop woop woop!!!"

Idk, I think Roose really reveals his true self when talking to Reek about his wife and how he got his bastard. He's a stone cold serial killer... he acts normal on the outside, but his true desire is to murder and see the fear and pain on his victims faces. To me, his nonchalance when Cat looks him in the eye is his true face... he could care less if she knows, and if she does, the better! He relishes the look of suspicion in her eyes and then the terror on her face when she sees his mail sleeve.

I don't think Roose even holds himself in high regard, only the need to keep living so he can fill his only need.... to murder.

In the books he comes off as a slimy bastard in almost every chapter. And then, when talking to Reek all your suspicions are confirmed.

Archived