(Book Spoilers) Rickon, the Umbers and the Greatjon

I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure Rickon Stark was going off to House Umber. How do you think this will affect the story once Stannis comes to the North? Additionally, has the show ever explained what happend to the Greatjon? He was a fairly important lieutenant for Robb, but seems to have gone missing in recent episodes. Anyone have any idea if he is captured by the Freys (as in the book) or went North? His absence seems odd to me.

The season 2 Blu Ray/DVDs have a play by play of the War of the Five Kings as show canon which mentions Great Jon:

While King Robb Stark invades the Westerlands, Greatjon Umber is tasked with liberating the Riverlands from Lannister occupation. Lord Umber expels the Lannisters from Raventree Hall, then restoring the ancient castle of House Blackwood, and then wins another victory at Stone Hedge, which is then reclaimed by its rightful lord, Jonos of House Bracken.

His season 3 whereabouts are unknown but the show did make it seem like the majority of the northern force was at The Twins.

Just because they mentioned the Umbers doesn't mean that's where they're going. It's not like Oshas going to be like "I'll hide your brother on Skagos with the cannibals and unicorns!"

Exactly- wasn't it suggested by Luwin that they went to White Harbour in the books? Why Osha didn't go there and ended up going to Skagos is still unclear. I had assumed for 3 books that Rickon was probably with the Manderlys.

Still, it would be nice if they did go to the Last Hearth, for a while at least. It could serve a few purposes. It would keep Rickon in play for a little bit, it would allow them to illustrate the transfer of power from Stark to Bolton in the North, resulting in Rickon having to leave Last Hearth for his (and their) own safety, and it could provide an opportunity to explore the power of fear the Boltons instil relative to "love". It could also provide a few clues regarding if there is any truth behind the Great Northern conspiracy or not- we could even have Ramsey going hunting for the Stark boys, ending up at the Last Hearth, the Umbers denying they have him, Ramsey not believing them and threatening to bring an army up from the Dreadfort and to flay them all (a flayed man has no secrets!) before Osha decides to spare the Umbers and take Rickon on to Skagos.

Ramsey hunting Stark boys all over the North with "Reek" helping him could be thrilling stuff, add a bit of tension to Rickon's journey, and give Ramsey and Theon something to do. They could explore Theon battling his will power, and failing through fear and intimidation. It would be a great way to mirror the hunt Theon and "Reek" had for Stark boys in ACOK.

Plus, ever since "Boy" said the line "do I look like a fucking Umber" to you?!" I have wanted to see some more...

Well Clive Mantle is , or has been in, a new TV series, but as to being available that's as shrouded in mystery as Conan Stevens.

Stevens seems , out, by his own implication.

Mantle, searching the WEB gives no indication.

He could be replaced, probably some actors who might fit.

I do dread seeing Ian Whyte show up as the Mountain again , face plate closed or not!

@ boojam: I love the thought that D & D will perhaps continue to follow Rickon, as I have been really sorry to see Bran and Rickon neglected in favor of the more sensational characters or scenes. Especially with the RW behind us, I think that viewers will be all the more anxious to see more of the Starks that we do have left.

About the Greatjon: I really missed having a scene at the RW where he turned over a table and took out several Freys before he himself fell - he was one of my favorite characters. Someone at work (an unsullied, but she does review movies in her blog, so she keeps up with actor 'happenings') told me that the actor who played the Greatjon had one of his ears bitten (?) off but didn't know how and that that was why he left the show. I never checked it out, and it does sound ludicrous, but :dunno:

Brings up another one of my questions, though. It may be that the answer to this is provided somewhere in the books and I just missed it, but I thought that Maege Mormont and a small group of others had already set off for Howland Reed's before the RW, so I've always wondered what happened to them. If they haven't cropped back up in the books, though, there's no chance they'd show up in the series, I don't think, and that's the only way I can think that the Greatjon would be brought back into play. I think there're more important 'fish to fry' for the series given all that happens from here on out in the books.

I am going to speculate to the skys, but me thinks Osha and Rickon's story will continue, somehow.

Be it from GRRM or D and D , tho it may run in very low ebb for a long time.

yeah. i definitely think we will be seeing osha and rickon in season 4

@ boojam: I love the thought that D & D will perhaps continue to follow Rickon, as I have been really sorry to see Bran and Rickon neglected in favor of the more sensational characters or scenes. Especially with the RW behind us, I think that viewers will be all the more anxious to see more of the Starks that we do have left.

About the Greatjon: I really missed having a scene at the RW where he turned over a table and took out several Freys before he himself fell - he was one of my favorite characters. Someone at work (an unsullied, but she does review movies in her blog, so she keeps up with actor 'happenings') told me that the actor who played the Greatjon had one of his ears bitten (?) off but didn't know how and that that was why he left the show. I never checked it out, and it does sound ludicrous, but :dunno:

That's the Smalljon. The Greatjon went to the bedding and is a prisoner.

I'm actually excited about the prospect of Osha and Rickon showing some of the Stark loyal banner men before disappearing, but I don't know how essential or even exciting it would be on TV. There's a lot of time in S4 for such invented plots since basically the whole story outside of KL can't progress too quickly with the Jon Snow bottleneck taking up the entire 4th season.

Wasn't Mantle unavailable for S2, and then HBO didn't bother to call him back for S3? That's what I was told.

D&D have made it pretty clear that actors that make themselves unavailable and basically cause them to change and rewrite things for seasons are never invited back, unless they love them. I guess they got pissed at Mantle for not being available S2 (And look how pissed off the fans got that he wasn't in it), and when he became available, I guess they didn't want to pander to the artist so that people can up and leave and just come back when it was convenient for them.

Just because we didn't see the Greatjon at the wedding doesn't mean he can't be written in as being taken captive there later, provided he's going to be important later, of course. While we lost out on the image of him fighting people off, I wouldn't take it as an indication that he's back at Last Hearth kicking back. Maybe he was just in another room at the Twins?

Archived