(Book Spoilers) Rickon, the Umbers and the Greatjon

Recognizing no bannermen in that room besides Wymen for half a second had a negative effect on me. The Greatjon imo was way too important to cut. They should have just recast. God.

I definitely think we'll continue to see a little of Osha and Rickon every now and then.

I dont think and I hope it wasnt Wyman, Manderlys were there but I dont think Wyman manderly was there and that guy was not big enough to be my boy. When I think manderly I think John Goodman.

I dont think and I hope it wasnt Wyman, Manderlys were there but I dont think Wyman manderly was there and that guy was not big enough to be my boy. When I think manderly I think John Goodman.

oops, nope. just a manderly.

I love Clive's Greatjon but recasting him would have been a mistake. Really he should have just been brought back in season 3 after his absence in season 2. I really don't see why this couldn't have been done. No idea why they didn't have Smalljon Umber since they had no problem putting in a no name Manderly.

Even show watchers remember that big bearded guy way back who shouted "King in the North!" in the first season.

It's not pure conjecture. Watch the Emmy Panel. They quite clearly state it, so I'm sorry that you spent that time writing your post.

I've watched the Emmy panel. The comments were very clearly said in jest. So I guess I'm sorry that you weren't able to pick up on that.

Didn't the producers (or maybe Cogman) clearly state at one point back before Season 2 that the Greatjon wouldn't be in that season, but "would be back for season 3!" ? Sounds too me more like scheduling conflicts than any kind of animosity between producers and artists.

I have a theory regarding the Greatjon's possible return;

He might assume Robett Glover's role in Wyman Manderly's secret war council with Davos. Someone more overtly aware of Bolton's treason (in the books this is because Glover was sent to the massacre of Duskendale by Bolton, in the show the Greatjon might simply have attended and escaped the Red Wedding off-screen; it wouldn't be too much of a canon-break to suggest he might prefer the drunken revelry of the camps! Either that or he learns from someone else, but in either case is the one who brings the truth to Manderly initially).

What do you think? You save having to introduce the Manderlys and Wex (who wasn't with Theon during S2)

Wex was with Theon in S2, when Theon makes his Yolo speech, he names Wex too. And we have seen Wendel on the background during RW so I guess the Manderly storyline won't be cut at all.

I can't wait to see those pies, maybe even the making of them!

It wouldn't surprise me if the show just decides to omit Skagos, and Rickon and Osha just hides out with the Umbers until Davos picks him up. It'd save them the difficulty of explaining the rather gray area of what Skagos is, and since we haven't been there in the books yet, its hard to know what great relevance the island and its people actually have. It would also save them the trouble of explaining who Wex is and why he knows the Starks are alive, although to be fair that came out of left field in the books too.

About the Greatjon: I really missed having a scene at the RW where he turned over a table and took out several Freys before he himself fell -

It was the SmallJon who did that.

I've watched the Emmy panel. The comments were very clearly said in jest. So I guess I'm sorry that you weren't able to pick up on that.

They weren't really though. Sure they were being funny about it, but it's pretty clear that the whole point of the conversation is that actors who make their jobs way harder and choose to take other work are simply written off. Sure they're kidding when they say they write them a death scene instantly, but the point was that they don't pander to the actors who make themselves unavailable, they pretty much tell them to fuck off.

@ boojam: I love the thought that D & D will perhaps continue to follow Rickon, as I have been really sorry to see Bran and Rickon neglected in favor of the more sensational characters or scenes. Especially with the RW behind us, I think that viewers will be all the more anxious to see more of the Starks that we do have left.

About the Greatjon: I really missed having a scene at the RW where he turned over a table and took out several Freys before he himself fell - he was one of my favorite characters. Someone at work (an unsullied, but she does review movies in her blog, so she keeps up with actor 'happenings') told me that the actor who played the Greatjon had one of his ears bitten (?) off but didn't know how and that that was why he left the show. I never checked it out, and it does sound ludicrous, but :dunno:

Brings up another one of my questions, though. It may be that the answer to this is provided somewhere in the books and I just missed it, but I thought that Maege Mormont and a small group of others had already set off for Howland Reed's before the RW, so I've always wondered what happened to them. If they haven't cropped back up in the books, though, there's no chance they'd show up in the series, I don't think, and that's the only way I can think that the Greatjon would be brought back into play. I think there're more important 'fish to fry' for the series given all that happens from here on out in the books.

Meage Mormont shows up again at Deepwood Motte to help Stannis oust Asha and her ironborne from the castle. Lady Meadge is holed up with Stannis and ready to fight at winterfell....Robett Glover is league with Manderly and perhaps will have a great role to play in the battle of winterfell....I'm assuming they did make it to the bogs and enlisted the cranogmen to help them...perhaps to help disldge moat calin from Frey/Bolton control.....so yes...the Mormonts and Glovers are true Stark bannermen.

It wouldn't surprise me if the show just decides to omit Skagos, and Rickon and Osha just hides out with the Umbers until Davos picks him up. It'd save them the difficulty of explaining the rather gray area of what Skagos is, and since we haven't been there in the books yet, its hard to know what great relevance the island and its people actually have. It would also save them the trouble of explaining who Wex is and why he knows the Starks are alive, although to be fair that came out of left field in the books too.

I may be wrong...but wasn't Neds mother said to be from Skagos....eventhough we never know who she is ....perhaps rickon can find some protection there if there are family ties....lets face it .....it won't be easy to hide a little boy traveling around the north with a giant black wolf

Show Greatjon in S1 was fantastic and almost single-handedly made Robb's plot believable. It really made a gaping hole in S2 when he didn't return. It would be a mistake to recast him IMHO. My guess is Osha & Rickon don't make it to Last Hearth.

D&D have made it pretty clear that actors that make themselves unavailable and basically cause them to change and rewrite things for seasons are never invited back, unless they love them. I guess they got pissed at Mantle for not being available S2 (And look how pissed off the fans got that he wasn't in it), and when he became available, I guess they didn't want to pander to the artist so that people can up and leave and just come back when it was convenient for them.

I have never read or heard Dave and Dan say that about actors, there are contracts you know , but some must just have one year ones.

I have to wonder what Conan Stevens contract looked like , he must have landed the Hobbit deal about the same time, he was in Season one so briefly . Maybe Dave and Dan did offer him a contract for season two but then he could not fit it into Peter Jackson's schedule. Stevens is the only one I have heard about who said he wanted to come back, and seems something even happened but then radio silence.

As for Mantle it's all a mystery , it looks as if he was available for the 2013 season, and then nothing.

I have to wonder about Ian McElhinney, he was not in season 2, but something went on , because D and D really wanted him back , since George had made Barristan Selmy a major character again.

I still can't see Ian Whyte as the mountain ... we have an important scene coming up ... and I don't know what they are going to do.

I notice that Whyte is listed in IMDB in the show but that must have been as a White Walker , as he was in season 1.

Has Julian Glover had a single speaking scene this season? I remember the interview with him , he gone to D and D and complained that Pycelle just seemed like a lump, so they gave him some more screen time, he seemed happy.

This year he's just in the background.

Has Julian Glover had a single speaking scene this season? I remember the interview with him , he gone to D and D and complained that Pycelle just seemed like a lump, so they gave him some more screen time, he seemed happy.

This year he's just in the background.

He was in the small council scene early in the season. I also think there's a scene of him and Tywin fishing. I'm not sure whether that was a cut scene or will be next week but it was definitely filmed. I think they'll beef up his screen time next season though - he's a fairly prestigious actor who's expressed disappointment at his lack of a role: D+D might fear he'll walk. I can't say I mind if it's good material, they could show the Tyrells slowly getting a hold on him perhaps.

Will Peter Vaughan still be alive next year?

It's certainly a worry, but I mean Christopher Lee is 91 and is still well enough to act in the Hobbit. Do we know if Aemon is featuring in the finale?

I think Alliser is cut. To bring him up again now would just draw attention to the plot hole that was his disappearance in season 2. It would be like "where've you been?". Much easier to have Janos play the sole villain in the NW (perhaps aided and abetted by Bowen Marsh?) and leave viewers to surmise that Alliser died on the Kingsroad imo.

Archived