(Book Spoilers) Rickon, the Umbers and the Greatjon

That would be terrible if they cut Allister Thorne. Why would they do that. They could explain he never got to see Joffrey or make up something. Getting rid of him seems foolish. I hope they bring him back.

And what would the explanation be for why he never got to Joffrey? He just decided to turn back? If they say he was at court but rejected people will be wondering why on earth we didn't see him in season 2.

Sometimes, I never understand that fans of Asoaif marvel at how it defies normal clichés and, at the same time, clinge to irrelevant and typical ''bad-ass'' things like Grey Wind attacking wolves or Small Jon and his table instead of focusing on the important stuff, the feeling of dread, claustrophobia (reinforced by GW in a cage) and isolation of the once glorious Starks of Winterfell.

Same thing for some fat dude shitting on his opponent or Tormund telling a joke.

told me that the actor who played the Greatjon had one of his ears bitten (?) off but didn't know how and that that was why he left the show. I never checked it out, and it does sound ludicrous

The ear thing definitely happened, was widely reported in the news a few months back, eg http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-21927889

That happened recently, and had nothing to do with him leaving the show after S1 though.. it seems he just had scheduling conflicts for S2.

Sometimes, I never understand that fans of Asoaif marvel at how it defies normal clichés and, at the same time, clinge to irrelevant and typical ''bad-ass'' things like Grey Wind attacking wolves or Small Jon and his table instead of focusing on the important stuff, the feeling of dread, claustrophobia (reinforced by GW in a cage) and isolation of the once glorious Starks of Winterfell.

Same thing for some fat dude shitting on his opponent or Tormund telling a joke.

Everyone enjoys an occasional cliche unless it wasn't in the books, in which case it's poor writing sexism and character assassination.

Although Tormund is likable because no other wildling is really very likable and he lightens up those Jon chapters.

It's certainly a worry, but I mean Christopher Lee is 91 and is still well enough to act in the Hobbit. Do we know if Aemon is featuring in the finale?

I think Alliser is cut. To bring him up again now would just draw attention to the plot hole that was his disappearance in season 2. It would be like "where've you been?". Much easier to have Janos play the sole villain in the NW (perhaps aided and abetted by Bowen Marsh?) and leave viewers to surmise that Alliser died on the Kingsroad imo.

That Lee took that job surprises me , Oh I am sure he loves the role , but that's a long plane trip, and even during LTOR he had some trouble getting around, but he's a tough bloke.

I think , after a long time we will see Castle Black next episode, tho I am not sure I picked it up in the preview.

And what would the explanation be for why he never got to Joffrey? He just decided to turn back? If they say he was at court but rejected people will be wondering why on earth we didn't see him in season 2.

Thorne was brought up in season two, actually. At a small council meeting they mentioned that he was in the capitol with a message from the Night's Watch, and they essentially decide to ignore him. And I very much doubt too many people will be at all concerned with why we didn't see him in season two. I enjoyed the actor who played the role, so hopefully he does come back for next season, but if he doesn't then they can always cast Bowen Marsh instead. I'm also wondering if we're going to be seeing Janos Slynt at the Wall next season, as well...

I will miss the Greatjon if they don't bring him back. Just to add some fun bluster to the grim Northmen.

And too bad if they cut Allister Thorne's mission with the wight hand as well.

I can't believe that the producers and Conan Stevens can't find ONE DAY to shoot the duel. They have to work it out. Having benchwarmer Ian Whyte is.....what it is. Not Conan Stevens. Ian Whyte is a fine guy for doing ComicCon Wales, but let's step it up. (No offense to Wales.)

About the Greatjon: I really missed having a scene at the RW where he turned over a table and took out several Freys before he himself fell - he was one of my favorite characters. Someone at work (an unsullied, but she does review movies in her blog, so she keeps up with actor 'happenings') told me that the actor who played the Greatjon had one of his ears bitten (?) off but didn't know how and that that was why he left the show. I never checked it out, and it does sound ludicrous, but :dunno:

From wikipedia

On the night of Saturday 23 March 2013, he[Clive Mantle] became involved in a brawl after asking a group of fellow guests to keep the noise down, during which part of his right ear was bitten off.[54] He had to have emergency surgery at the Royal Victoria Infirmary hospital to have it sewn back on.

Thais incident happened only 2 months ago. So that is not the reason why he was not in Season 3. Oh and he had cancelled his tours recently. Probably he is back for season 4?

That Lee took that job surprises me , Oh I am sure he loves the role , but that's a long plane trip, and even during LTOR he had some trouble getting around, but he's a tough bloke.

I think , after a long time we will see Castle Black next episode, tho I am not sure I picked it up in the preview.

Castle Black's definitely in because the guy playing Pyp is back for the finale.

But yeah Lee did his scenes in England. However it remains that you can still act into your 90's if you have the dedication. A trip to ireland is a lot less strenuous and the guy playing Pyp said he was only filming for a day. I hope we see Aemon again. Given his Targ background it would be kind of a plothole to make him vanish.

Archived