[book spoilers] where the hell is blacfishwhen II is done?

Koril

There is also the Blackfish = Ghost of Winterfell theory

I would also say that we have not seen all there is to see from the Red Wedding. Ending it where they did I can see them picking back up moments afterwords and showing the rest.

Yeah, I suspect that the Blackfish will be the one to recover Cat's body and will hook up with Thoros and the Brotherhood.

That would seem the likely scenario on the show although I'm hoping we'll eventually get Jaime's parlay with the Blackfish in a future season. Also, I don't think even Brynden would tolerate what Stoneheart was doing for very long.

Small bladder long life...

It was ridiculous. Why the hell they didn't let him to Riverrun ?

They should save him. But not like that...

And now what ?

-He comes back to Riverrun ? He escapes somewhere and we lose contact with him until we're able to see him in books ? He becomes a captive ?

He was at the feast and not in Riverrun, because if he was, he could not have uttered the one of the best lines of the episodes.

'The gods love to reward a fool.'

I like Edmure though, he seem pretty well cast and pretty true to the books for his limited screen time.

Was anyone else pleasantly surprised with the characterizations of Blackfish and Edmure in this episode? Up until this point I found these portrayals really shallow and off the mark. Blackfish came off like a thug who treats his nephew (and liege lord) like shit. And Edmure, who within the source material is rendered as a simple minded, incompotent, yet good hearted man, feels like an arrogant and delusional prick. He's one of the few lords who actually cares about the small folk and I really didn't care for the direction they took him. However, unlike the other episodes this season I felt like they weren't too bad in the Red Wedding. That one small scene where Blackfish states that he loves Edmure really helped. I also felt that they really made Edmure a bit more sympathetic, and did a nice job with his brief interactions with Roslin.

Was anyone else pleasantly surprised with the characterizations of Blackfish and Edmure in this episode? Up until this point I found these portrayals really shallow and off the mark. Blackfish came off like a thug who treats his nephew (and liege lord) like shit. And Edmure, who within the source material is rendered as a simple minded, incompotent, yet good hearted man, feels like an arrogant and delusional prick. He's one of the few lords who actually cares about the small folk and I really didn't care for the direction they took him. However, unlike the other episodes this season I felt like they weren't too bad in the Red Wedding. That one small scene where Blackfish states that he loves Edmure really helped. I also felt that they really made Edmure a bit more sympathetic, and did a nice job with his brief interactions with Roslin.

I found the 'cremation scene' while well done, toe cringing in that regard. You can't shove your liege lord around like that in front of his men. I don;t think that would help Edmure's authority much.

Also in the books it was implied that edmure was not a complete incompetent archer, but that he could have missed because he was so emotional.

The BF and Edmure scenes in this episode did a lot to make that right. Especially the interactions with his bride, as later in the books they become quite smitten with eachother I believe.

I think that Edmure is one of the most decent characters, and probably thé most decent noble in the entire series (of books)

I found the 'cremation scene' while well done, toe cringing in that regard. You can't shove your liege lord around like that in front of his men. I don;t think that would help Edmure's authority much.

Also in the books it was implied that edmure was not a complete incompetent archer, but that he could have missed because he was so emotional.

The BF and Edmure scenes in this episode did a lot to make that right. Especially the interactions with his bride, as later in the books they become quite smitten with eachother I believe.

I think that Edmure is one of the most decent characters, and probably thé most decent noble in the entire series (of books)

Oh yeah dude. The archery bit was excruciating to watch. The guy just lost his dad and nobody can cut him a fucking break. Robb laughing at him made it all the worse. And that's the thing is that Edmure's incompotence is part of his character, and it actually makes him somewhat endearing. He's not a bad guy at all. Wish they had highlighted that more, since they might not bother bringing him back again after this episode depending on how they handle the Jaime arc.

I like this talk of Blackfish finding Cat's body though. A big deviation, but I'm alright with cutting minor characters if it's better thematically for the adaptation.

@ Nanaki response #23 above, I love that "small bladder long life" quip! That's actually what I think happens, though -that it becomes clear to him that there are no survivors to RW and it'd be pure suicide for him to go back in there. The next logical thing would be for him to retreat to RR to defend it, as that is THE only refuge left for their cause. My best guess.

I doubt Blackfish will find Cats body and even if he would, he would probably take her body back to Riverrun. I doubt Blackfish even knows Thoros and Beric Dondarrion and what they do or what kind of "powers" they have.

I think he ran away and back to Riverrun to defend it, there is no point of staying at Twins to see what will happen and risk getting caught or killed. In books he i supposed to be in Riverrun and if there will be no Brynden Tully in Riverrun, there will be no scene between him and Jaime Lannister.

I had a feeling some of the Unsullied might think Blackfish had something to do with it. He basically has the Roose Bolton role in the book...excusing him to urinate before the killing begins. I can't blame them for thinking that with the way it's portrayed in the episode.

I have the feeling that 'Unsullied' as used above does not refer to Dany's warriors. Are forum users using 'Unsullied' to describe TV viewers who haven't read the books?

I can totally see this happening at the start of the final episode with Brynden Tully

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzPZOh2IfEc

But on a serious note, I was glad that he didnt die at the RW since I hope he will have a bigger role to play in the coming books, and if he would die here that would probably crush my hopes of that. But since they made the Blackfish this sort of thuggish Chuck Norris boduyguard of Robb it was kind of a fail that he was taking a piss when Robb needed him most. I hope we see the Blackfish doing something heroic to save his reputation among viewers. As my non reading friends believed he was into the treason.

... I hope he will have a bigger role to play in the coming books...

Actually he does, when defending Riverrun against the Frey siege + conversation with Jaime Lannister etc. :P

For me Blackfish is a "badass" in a good sense, if he would be present at the RW killing I bet he would take some Freys down :P and I doubt he would betray Cat.

Actually he does, when defending Riverrun against the Frey siege + conversation with Jaime Lannister etc. :P

That wasnt a particularly big role of Brynden Tully. I dont think they kept him alive just for that one scene with Jaime in book4 (despite the awesomeness of it). So lets hope he make a big return in book 6

I can see these possible scenarios:

1. The Blackfish is taken captive at the Twins and we'll see GreyRobb through his eyes. He'll play the Greatjon's role from now on; the siege of Riverrun is cut from the series (it's not really that important anyway).

2. The Blackfish manages to escape and returns to Riverrun. This one is the truest to the books but rather boring.

3. The Blackfish manages to escape and teams up with the BWB. Not sure how that would play out.

Well it wasn't but still has a bigger role and he escaped when the castle was surrendered, so as you said I think / hope he will have a bigger role in future books.

Off-topis: just as I hoped for Barristan Selmy after 1st season and now he does (in books so far). :P

I can definitely see from the way the scene played out, how non-book readers might suspect Blackfish had something to do with the betrayal as he suspiciously vanishes moments before it goes down. Maybe they're using that to throw viewers off the trail a bit and drum up more theories.

Personally, I think having Blackfish join the BWB could work and leave out the siege of Riverrun - but that would depend entirely on what GRRM had in mind for his character's future that we have no idea about yet because after he swims under the river gate during the siege, we hear no more of him in the books correct?

Archived