[book spoilers] where the hell is blacfishwhen II is done?

Koril

My guess is that he fought his way out and hightailed it back to Riverrun. The Siege of Riverrun is a big part of Jaime's storyline. Numerous Jaime POVs are devoted to it. It shows Jaime's distaste at being allied with such a lecherous group as House Frey and it shows that he is growing into a capable leader of men who could one day possible rule something beyond a battle campaign in the future. It's a big maturation point for him.

This.

Blackfish is essentially presented in the books as a legendary badass, and as mentioned just how crucial the siege of Riverrun is to Jaime's further character development. So hopefully after the Blackfish found "a tree to piss on", he kills some Freys in their ambush of the Stark soldiers, but realizes they have no chance and escapes back to Riverrun.

They can simply scrap Riverrun siege and just send Edmure to Casterly Rock.

As I stated before, I strongly think they need the Siege of Riverrun as it's pretty important to Jaime's story arc. It also takes up much of his storyline between returning to King's Landing and being captured by Lady Stoneheart. What will they have Jaime do for all that time in between if he's not preoccupied with Blackfish and Riverrun? It's essential to Jaime's plot.

Wh--I don't even--? :eek:

I'm not sure why that is so hard to fathom - the Blackfish gave an excuse of needing to go pee right before the whole thing went down, it's plausible given what we know (from just the show) that he had a part in it. Edmure as well - as we see later on, sometimes the hardest person arguing against something proves the "doth protest too much" statement.

I'm not sure why that is so hard to fathom - the Blackfish gave an excuse of needing to go pee right before the whole thing went down, it's plausible given what we know (from just the show) that he had a part in it. Edmure as well - as we see later on, sometimes the hardest person arguing against something proves the "doth protest too much" statement.

I think the viewers aren't really accustomed to the fact that there are almost no ass-pulls in the story where characterization is suddenly reversed just for the sake of shocking the reader/viewer rather than telling a logical and interesting story. The whole "You never know what can happen" thing is sort of true, but the clues are always there and not just a blind-sided HAHA GOTCHA kind of thing. Besides Blackfish needing to take a piss before it all goes down there's really no reason to believe it.

The only exception I can think of to this is Stannis' shadowbaby, which basically came out of nowhere and could've never been predicted, nor was it ever hinted at.

I think the viewers aren't really accustomed to the fact that there are almost no ass-pulls in the story where characterization is suddenly reversed just for the sake of shocking the reader/viewer rather than telling a logical and interesting story.

Well, to be honest, between Shae's suddenly raging at Tyrion for remarking that Sansa's pretty, and Robb's abandoning his vows for Talisa, and even the rather unaccountable loyalty of Osha for the Starks, I wouldn't say the show's characterization is that consistent. I can certainly see how show-only viewers would be suspicious of the Blackfish at the moment: his earlier speech to Cat about how he loves his nephew could even be viewed as some kind of coded apology for how he's betraying the rest of them to save Edmure. The convenient departure before an attack is common in TV and film. I'm quite sure that's NOT what's happening, but it'd be easy to interpret that way.

As I stated before, I strongly think they need the Siege of Riverrun as it's pretty important to Jaime's story arc. It also takes up much of his storyline between returning to King's Landing and being captured by Lady Stoneheart. What will they have Jaime do for all that time in between if he's not preoccupied with Blackfish and Riverrun? It's essential to Jaime's plot.

I was leaning toward them cutting the Seige of Riverrun, but I think everything points to their keeping it. If Edmure and Brynden survive the RW, it really is a great sequence for Jaime, leading up to the summons from Brienne. We just won't get the Brackens and Blackwoods ad nauseum.

If they do the siege of Riverrun, I can imagine some sort of funny/heartwarming scene when Edmure is sent in to surrender the castle.

Edmure: I was shagging my wife when my sister and nephew were murdered!

Blackfish: Yeah, well I was pissing on a tree

*Awkward laughs, hugs, Edmure helps Blackfish escape*

I'd also imagine that the Freys planned to kill the Blackfish along with Robb, Catelyn and Talisa, knowing what a dangerous enemy he could be and wanting to extinguish the Tullys. I think we'll have a dialogue with someone yelling about finding the Blackfish at all costs or something to the effect.

considering the detailed planning that went in to the massacre allowing the black fish to easily escape it was a bit cheap and would probably have been better if he'd just stayed in riverrun to start with

If anyone listens to the podcast of Ice and Fire, there's the hilarious Pink Walder theory.

Blackfish is gay, and he goes to the godswood to hang out with his buddy Pink Walder the gay Frey. They're making out, but Blackfish sees that something is wrong, and escapes. Pink Walder is then berated by his family ( You had one job! ).

They take the place of GreatJon and Merret Frey.

Archived