Numbers/Books Wanted List ASOIAF Limited Editions

becca69

It's not economics nor cunning, it's plain asinine. You neglect the substantial risk of losing money big time on the lone books you are buying. But by all means, go ahead, there are two MM Clash of Kings up for grabs at abebooks. Have been for quite some time, so it appears - just waiting for you ;)

Supply and demand isn't economics? The reason those ACoK's are still on Abe's is because there isn't a demand for them. Of all the editions they're the least popular. On the other side of the coin, the AsoS's are the most popular…maybe with the exception of a MM AGoT, if you can ever find one. Plus we're in the "off-season" right now, book sales seem to spike when the show's on. The ASoS on eBay might seem high, but as long as ASoIAF is part of pop culture they will continue to increase in value. Regarding substantial risk, any type of investment invokes risk. My entire 401k could be wiped out in three months if we fail to raise the debt ceiling. Does this mean I stop contributing to it? Or pull everything form it and cash out? No. It's a risk, but a calculated one.

Your entire 401k? What's that supposed to mean - impress me with your business savvy? Then better save your breath and stick to books and try to justify your "economic" plan of buying lone editions once again. Because it simply doesn't work out. The prices of these lone editions are simply too high. That is the reason the "much coveted" ASOS on ebay is a stinker and no one buys it.

And I would be very careful with your prediction of constantly raising values of these books and sets. Right now ASOIAF is hot and there is a demand for these special editions. Wait two more years and see the popular interest wane in the HBO show and George's failure to publish Winds of Winter - and prices will drop drastically. So if you are into speculative investment I would serioulsy consider selling them in the short-term. If you are just into beautiful books like me, then you won't care either way and keep them.

Makes the other current offer on ebay 999usd for subpress ASoS nr 420 seem like a Real bargain :)

How much of a role does the "low/high-ness" of the number influence the value?

I think the relative position of the number has almost no bearing on the price. That said, if you had #1, you might be able to justify a small increase in price. But that would depend highly on whether the buyer /really/ wanted #1 and had a pick of other numbers.

It seems to me unrealistic what some people say about buying lone copies of limited books just to increase the value of their matching set ! You guys have nothing else to do in your life, you should try Wall Street for that...

That said, I own SOS, FFC, DWD and COK (pre-order) #52.

I am not interested in the MM ones.

He's a member here and I'll be interested to see what this sells for as I own one of the 7. The only difference with mine is that I had GRRM sign it at Capclave this year. There is one other collector/member here that owns a few of them. I don't think that price is unheard of if you compare it to the 1st state 'Salem's Lot dust jackets that sell for upwards of $50,000. This is a steal by those standards ;)