Numbers/Books Wanted List ASOIAF Limited Editions

becca69

• 2 weeks later...

So I have a Meisha Merlin Game of Thrones (#129) that I own and left along with my four other of the illustrated series in a closet with really no protection save a cover on the slipcase. I returned and found a bunch of little black marks that are spotted around the bottom corner of the book. It seems some type of mold formed in the green cover case and marked up the book. Overall damage is a bunch of little black spots on the inside of the cover and a few black spots on the bottom corner of the actual book. Two questions for anyone who can help. First can this be fixed in any way or helped at all. Second how badly do you think will this drop the price of the book if I were to resell it. Half? More, less? Thanks for anyones time

So I have a Meisha Merlin Game of Thrones (#129) that I own and left along with my four other of the illustrated series in a closet with really no protection save a cover on the slipcase. I returned and found a bunch of little black marks that are spotted around the bottom corner of the book. It seems some type of mold formed in the green cover case and marked up the book. Overall damage is a bunch of little black spots on the inside of the cover and a few black spots on the bottom corner of the actual book. Two questions for anyone who can help. First can this be fixed in any way or helped at all. Second how badly do you think will this drop the price of the book if I were to resell it. Half? More, less? Thanks for anyones time

It sounds like it could be mold. Is the closet damp/humid? First I would take them all out of their slipcases and dry them out. You can set them in front of a fan with the pages open and the fan on low or put them in a room with a dehumidifier. Once dry, you can take a soft brush and try to wipe them off. I would also try an Absorene Dirt Eraser that can be purchased at Brodart.com and firmly but gently wipe the pages.

If that doesn't work, I would research a book restorer in your area. It will definitely affect the price of the book. Mold damage is not a good thing and you have to make sure the mold has been removed or it will spread.

It sounds like it could be mold. Is the closet damp/humid? First I would take them all out of their slipcases and dry them out. You can set them in front of a fan with the pages open and the fan on low or put them in a room with a dehumidifier. Once dry, you can take a soft brush and try to wipe them off. I would also try an Absorene Dirt Eraser that can be purchased at Brodart.com and firmly but gently wipe the pages.

If that doesn't work, I would research a book restorer in your area. It will definitely affect the price of the book. Mold damage is not a good thing and you have to make sure the mold has been removed or it will spread.

Yeah that's what I figured, I already checked and moved all five books. None of the other books showed any signs of mold just the Game of Thrones copy (unfortunately the most expensive one). I managed to brush off and remove the mold that is on there my issue is just the small black spots it left on the bottom corner of the book. I will try that eraser you mentioned. Thanks for the help

I would still take them all out of their slipcases and let them air out. They may not look damp but if there is any moisture at all, they could start to mold too. Put them in a small room with a fan on low or a dehumidifier or something like damp-rid.

Maybe they realized the absurdity and all around crappiness of redoing GoT after a lot of us already spent hundreds of dollars on the MM edition? The one in the series of edtions SubPress continued? That would be nice.

But probably not since I think they took my money already. It's sad that I can't even remember if I already shelled out that much cash.

Maybe they realized the absurdity and all around crappiness of redoing GoT after a lot of us already spent hundreds of dollars on the MM edition? The one in the series of edtions SubPress continued? That would be nice.

But probably not since I think they took my money already. It's sad that I can't even remember if I already shelled out that much cash.

Yeah, it's pretty sad that you're blaming them for your poor financial management skills.

Has anyone heard anything about the Sub Press "A Game of Thrones" illustrated by Ted Nasmith? We're almost at the three year mark of the announcement, which was in March 2011...

Sub Press Clash of Kings should be shipping soon (this month). AGOT production is delayed due to the artwork running behind and hasn't been announced for pre-order yet.

Considering it'll likely be at least 4-5 years before the series is finished (hoping for an 8th book so...just too much Westeros goodness to cram into 2 1500 page books :D ), I'm not sweating it.

Seems like Bill over at SP has been very busy lately with some recent publications so for me, I'll get it when I get it (AGoT / ACoK).

For me, I want the World of Ice and Fire coffee table book ASAP. October too long of a wait...content myself with a 3rd read through the books and more time here and Tower of the Hand.

Sub Press is putting out a lot of great titles right now. They are wrapping up with The Shining, of which they did a great job. They said Clash is sitting around waiting to be shipped once a few others are taken care of. NOS4A2 by Joe Hill was also a wonderful production they did recently.

Oh, yes, it was Clash I ordered already not Games.

And, althanis, I'm not blaming them for taking a long time, I'm blaming them for grubbing money by publishing a second set of limited editions in a series that already had those limited editions published. Why anyone with a complete set who already owns the MM editions is basically compelled to re-buy the books should be obvious to anyone who thinks about it for a minute. It was a jerk move and I made my opinion abundantly clear directly to Bill at SubPress.

I'm sure when SP acquired the rights, they made sure they had the right to re-publish books 1 & 2. I'm glad they are doing this. Many collectors want a series to look consistent when grouped together. MM did a terrible job with that. They don't match in size, the slipcases don't fit well and there are glaring errors. Also, from what I've heard, many owners of AGOT only bought the book for Jones' art and not for GRRM's story, therefore many of these sets may never be reunited because they are in "art" collections.

Oh, yes, it was Clash I ordered already not Games.

And, althanis, I'm not blaming them for taking a long time, I'm blaming them for grubbing money by publishing a second set of limited editions in a series that already had those limited editions published. Why anyone with a complete set who already owns the MM editions is basically compelled to re-buy the books should be obvious to anyone who thinks about it for a minute. It was a jerk move and I made my opinion abundantly clear directly to Bill at SubPress.

I keep wondering if their Clash will finally be the one without something wrong with it, since they screwed up on something on all the other books. Then I remembered they already did something wrong on Clash (intentionally) by raising the quantity of numbered editions from 448 to 500.

I keep wondering if their Clash will finally be the one without something wrong with it, since they screwed up on something on all the other books. Then I remembered they already did something wrong on Clash (intentionally) by raising the quantity of numbered editions from 448 to 500.

I never heard about that. Have the new numbers been sold yet. I assume they should just be selling them on their website at some point since no one would have rights.

They did up the number but it doesn't affect anyone with #s up to 448 since the new numbers do not have rights to book 6 but do have rights to AGOT. The books have been sold out for months but they usually have extra after they have shipped pre-orders.

Grant Publishing did this consistently with each of the Dark Tower books (obviously to make more $$ and because of demand), so there cannot be a complete set unless you own book 500 or under.

They didn't make enough extra for the value to diminish. Those numbered higher than 448 might sell for slightly less but it won't be considerable. This edition is very small even in limited edition standards - and no gift editions ever produced. Very rare indeed.

I'm sure when SP acquired the rights, they made sure they had the right to re-publish books 1 & 2. I'm glad they are doing this. Many collectors want a series to look consistent when grouped together. MM did a terrible job with that. They don't match in size, the slipcases don't fit well and there are glaring errors. Also, from what I've heard, many owners of AGOT only bought the book for Jones' art and not for GRRM's story, therefore many of these sets may never be reunited because they are in "art" collections.

Uh. You realize that the Subterranean Press editions are themselves completely inconsistent looking, right? So that re-publishing the MM editions does absolutely nothing to address that concern?