Numbers/Books Wanted List ASOIAF Limited Editions

becca69

I think they look like they belong together. My Dark Tower set is similar - some have different artists and some are two volumes, but they still look like the same series. MM AGoT and MM Clash don't.

SP didn't omit color plates in the lettered, they accidentally included them in the limited - of which I don't mind at all.

There are also glaring errors in the Sub Press edtions, fwiw. For example can you find the exclusive full color plates in the Lettered edition of Dance? NO YOU CANT. Because they !*%@* omitted them by accident.

Incorrect.

Also, the editions by Subpress all look like they match.

Uh. You realize that the Subterranean Press editions are themselves completely inconsistent looking, right? So that re-publishing the MM editions does absolutely nothing to address that concern?

I agree with this. Mostly because I have the slipcases turned out of the bookshelf, and they look nothing alike. Colors, text placement (where there are any at all) seems so random. The MM slipcases seem much more in sync (though they have their problems, and may very well have been the much worse choice in the long run).

I may seem petty, but I would really have liked consistent slipcases, and letting the personal touches of the artists show itself on the DJ-side. I may take a picture with other SP series to try and illustrate my point.

I agree with this. Mostly because I have the slipcases turned out of the bookshelf, and they look nothing alike. Colors, text placement (where there are any at all) seems so random. The MM slipcases seem much more in sync (though they have their problems, and may very well have been the much worse choice in the long run).

I may seem petty, but I would really have liked consistent slipcases, and letting the personal touches of the artists show itself on the DJ-side. I may take a picture with other SP series to try and illustrate my point.

I agree and I keep mine with the dust jacket spines facing out. No design consistency. Storm and Feast have the title text running horizontal, but Dance they switched to vertical. With Feast they switched orientation of GRRM's name. Storm and Feast have the art expanding across the dj spine, Dance does not. Different color slipcases. I wouldn't call that matching, not even close.

I am happy they are re-printing AGOT and ACOK since I cannot find the Merlin editions of the number I have. I will now have the possibility to have a full set. If you prefer the MM editions, it's not like you're losing the rights to the rest of the series if you don't buy them.

I still think they look like a series, regardless of the artwork and fonts. I'm linking my Dark Tower set and my ASOIAF set. They look very similar. On both, slipcases are different colors, fonts are different, different artists, but still a coherent set.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/becca3969/Stephen%20King%20Collection/E089288D-F23F-4D80-ACE3-7BA42A79EEBC.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/becca3969/ASOIAF_GRRM%20Collection/6939F7CA-9501-477E-A9A3-8EBE1B864FFA.jpg

Incorrect.

Also, the editions by Subpress all look like they match.

It's not incorrect, there are no exclusive plates in the lettered editions. That's a screwup whether or not they are omitted from the lettered editions or incorrectly included in the limited. Either way it's wrong.

And the Subpress editions don't match in any way. The slipcase for SoS, for example, is completely blank. That's not really an excusable thing to include in editions of this price. There is no consistency in the slipcases, no consistency in the dust jackets, nothing.

I'm not saying they aren't good editions - hell I have a complete lettered set! I'm saying that the idea that Sub Press had to redo the MM editions to maintain some sort of consistency is ludicrous and doesn't pass a laugh test. They're not doing it for any such reason. They're doing it because they can make money doing it. Yes, there are some justifications which can be made. But bottom line they are jacking some of us for $800 in order to help other people get a complete set. And that's not acceptable.

It's not incorrect, there are no exclusive plates in the lettered editions. That's a screwup whether or not they are omitted from the lettered editions or incorrectly included in the limited. Either way it's wrong.

And the Subpress editions don't match in any way. The slipcase for SoS, for example, is completely blank. That's not really an excusable thing to include in editions of this price. There is no consistency in the slipcases, no consistency in the dust jackets, nothing.

I'm not saying they aren't good editions - hell I have a complete lettered set! I'm saying that the idea that Sub Press had to redo the MM editions to maintain some sort of consistency is ludicrous and doesn't pass a laugh test. They're not doing it for any such reason. They're doing it because they can make money doing it. Yes, there are some justifications which can be made. But bottom line they are jacking some of us for $800 in order to help other people get a complete set. And that's not acceptable.

Why do you feel the need to buy the Subpress editions of the first 2 books? It's not like you are losing the rights if you don't.

Not really. They are a business and they obtained the rights to produce a limited edition set that included books one and two if they chose to do so. They are giving you the option to buy or not, which they didn't really have to do. You should stop taking it personally.

• 1 month later...

Hi becca, I have now managed to get hold of ASOS PC, so could you please put a note next to my ASOS 232 want that I am willing to trade the PC.

PS In all honesty, not that bothered. I am a fan of Charles Vess's work (and Mucha, whom he adores) so am just very happy I found any copy. And PC means I don't feel guilty about keeping another set broken. :-)

Does anyone have any updates to the list - sold, no longer need, want, etc?

It'll be a little while before I can be able to purchase... ( In this economy, I have to save for while to get a quality copy..lol)

But...though I'll probably never be able to afford a complete matching set, unless I luck onto a good deal..

I am trying to obtain quality copies to pass onto my daughter, Khaleesi..who will be born this may. =-)

So far, I have the Bantam slipcased GoT, an unnumbered/unlettered Meisha Merlin CoK, and the Harper/Voyager copies of Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons..

I'm glad I found this place...still looking for a better Got edition and a collectable copy of SoS

(looks like I'll have to save up for awhile, though..LOL)

=-)

Edited by IamDace

If anyone is interested in the #129 Meisha Merlin version of Game of Thrones I would be willing to sell mine. It has come under some damage and I do not want it anymore maybe someone would be willing to pay a lower price for it. Damage is not extreme at all basically one blackish mold spot on the bottom and a couple on the side of the pages of the book. Pictures can be provided for anyone actually interested. Would be willing to let it go at a lower price than these usually go for due to this.

Also looking for one of the new SubPress Clash of Kings for myself. Any version will do

Edited by ReekReekItRhymesWithLeek