Numbers/Books Wanted List ASOIAF Limited Editions

becca69

• 2 weeks later...

So how much do you guys think is the value of Subpress AFFC, ADWD, AGOT and ACOK? + Future rights.

The value is always what someone is willing to pay for and thus varies, especially with these books. That aside, my estimate is about $ 3.000-3.500. With the matching ASOS it would jump to $ 5.000-5.500 but I assume you know that already ;)

6k for a matching SUB set is a bit high IMO but not outrageously high (like the guy who tried in vain to sell a SUB set + MM ACOK for 7k on ebay). It's always best to sell during a season though, during off-season the market is really bad.

It makes me wonder what will happen after the HBO show has run its course and the general hype is over. I expect quite a steep decline in prices.

6K is too high for sub press set. It sold, yes. But once. Lucky seller. Sure one could get lucky. You can wait and wait to sell at that price. If the seller is unlucky, he'll be waiting. If he's lucky, sure it will sell at that price. $5K may be reasonable. Like I said, about that guy with the incomplete set with $7K. Never going to sell at this time.

I think it's pretty accepted that something is worth the amount that someone is willing to pay for it, so someone was willing to pay that much, therefore it's worth that much. I don't think they had to list it over and over: it sold right away for that amount. Of course, if you want to sell very quickly, list it for $1000 less than someone else has paid, and the lucky one will be the one that snaps it. :)

Edited by HappyTimes

I think Happy Times is right on. Now that the Sub Press set is complete, I can see it going for $7,000, no problem. That ends up being ~$1,400 per book (if you don't factor in the premium of having a complete set of all the books), plus the right to buy the future books at cost. Given that orphaned copies of the books go for more than $1,000 these days, it should come as no surprise that a full set of books (even minus the MM books) goes for that much.

Previous posters are right, though, that the secondary market for these books gets hottest around the air date of the HBO show.

If this series becomes one of the greats in literature and fantasy, I could see the value of the books only going up (especially after GRRM's demise (may he live a long, healthy life)). That said, however, if it fizzles out (or, heaven forbid, Martin dies before completing it) the books could lose slip from their present values. Hard to say, projecting out that far.

All part of the fun of collecting, I suppose.

I think it's pretty accepted that something is worth the amount that someone is willing to pay for it, so someone was willing to pay that much, therefore it's worth that much. I don't think they had to list it over and over: it sold right away for that amount. Of course, if you want to sell very quickly, list it for $1000 less than someone else has paid, and the lucky one will be the one that snaps it. :)

Be careful not to succumb to a fallacy here. Only because one person was willing to pay $6k for a SUB set, that doesn't mean it is worth that amount. What if someone with a lot of money on his hands buys the $12,5k set on Abebooks (yes, it's still listed there *lol*) - are all sets then worth that amount? Of course not.

We will see the true value of the sets when people try to sell them in greater numbers (in the spring of 2017 at the latest is my guess, during the last HBO season).

Right now, I can't see a SUB set without the MMs going for more than $5-$5.5k in general. Aberrations in both directions of the price scale can happen of course :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am truly considering selling my complete, matching, mint condition, numbered, Sub and MM set. It is number 261. I already ordered a game of thrones so it will be included with future rights. Anyone who is interested please message me privately with offers or questions.

Thanks so much.