GRRM on Conan O’Brien Tonight

Westeros

woah a clip from the video of me filming my friend's reaction to the RW was in there, lol. wasn't expecting to see that. pretty interesting interview. I hope "very fast" actually means very fast. -.-

Didn't he say to some Chilean journalist that he was hopeful to get it out next year? Or did I just have the most bizarre dream ever?

I don't recall the nationality of any journalists involved but I'm pretty sure that he's put 2014 as an optimistic release date. I find it hard to believe that after two consequitive deadline disasters he hasn't learned his lesson so I don't think he'll have said that if he didn't sincerely believe it was a possibility.

He's previously said that 2014 was possible, but that was a year ago and since then he's also said he's lost time due to other projects. I think 2014 is very achievable for completion, but publication will likely be 2015. The good news is that he's extremely positive and upbeat about it, which is highly encouraging.

Well, truth be told, I'm not too worried about Winds of Winter. Even if it doesn't come out in time, Martin will still have finished a major portion of the book, probably giving it to D&D for reference. So no worries there.

The real problem comes with ADoS. Will he have at least something definitive ready by the time the respective season comes along?

Well, truth be told, I'm not too worried about Winds of Winter. Even if it doesn't come out in time, Martin will still have finished a major portion of the book, probably giving it to D&D for reference. So no worries there.

The real problem comes with ADoS. Will he have at least something definitive ready by the time the respective season comes along?

I agree with this. I don't see WoW being a problem. The issue is going to be ADoS. Will GRRM be able to get it published before the Show spoils the Book?

I agree with this. I don't see WoW being a problem. The issue is going to be ADoS. Will GRRM be able to get it published before the Show spoils the Book?

I think at worst the books will be a few months after the show. However a 2017/18 release date is plausible for ADOS and if the show runs for 8 seasons the finale will be in 2018. And I think that ADOS will be quicker to write than the other books as the plot speeds towards the finale. TWOW will be the major hurdle I feel in regards to keeping up with the show. If he can get over that imo by 2015 everything will work fine.

I echo Wert's sentiments: He sounds enthusiastic about it which is indicative of how he's doing. If he hadn't made much progress it would be all "Errr...well I'm working on it but I have other projects...and ah...the devil's in the details y'know" etc. etc. But he sounds confident.

He's previously said that 2014 was possible, but that was a year ago and since then he's also said he's lost time due to other projects. I think 2014 is very achievable for completion, but publication will likely be 2015. The good news is that he's extremely positive and upbeat about it, which is highly encouraging.

Hmmm.. Stop raising my optimism. I was resigned to summer 2016 before I read this.

I think at worst the books will be a few months after the show. However a 2017/18 release date is plausible for ADOS and if the show runs for 8 seasons the finale will be in 2018. And I think that ADOS will be quicker to write than the other books as the plot speeds towards the finale. TWOW will be the major hurdle I feel in regards to keeping up with the show. If he can get over that imo by 2015 everything will work fine.

I echo Wert's sentiments: He sounds enthusiastic about it which is indicative of how he's doing. If he hadn't made much progress it would be all "Errr...well I'm working on it but I have other projects...and ah...the devil's in the details y'know" etc. etc. But he sounds confident.

The show might be just only 7 seasons, maybe there is a reason to be optmistic if we consider that the final act/resolution to a story are usally easier to write; but I think that it's likely ADOS will not be published in time.

I predicted TWOW in 4th quarter of 2014 a long time ago and I've stuck by it. GRRM's apparent enthusiasm on the show last night makes me feel a lot better about that prediction.

I wonder if Conan's actually a fan, or if he's just trying to be nice.

He frequently talks the show up on his Twitter feed, so I don't think he's just paying lip service.

GRRM was great, and the "Council of Nerds" bit (inducting GoT into the inner circle of nerddom) was funny too.

I don't recall the nationality of any journalists involved but I'm pretty sure that he's put 2014 as an optimistic release date. I find it hard to believe that after two consequitive deadline disasters he hasn't learned his lesson so I don't think he'll have said that if he didn't sincerely believe it was a possibility.

Yeah I really hope that he's certain of it, I can't wait for this next one! I just wish I could remember where I read it because without a citation it just looks absurd. :P

He might be certain that 2014 is a possibility but that's not really saying anything. :) (And as Wert suggested, 2014 seems very challenging given we are talking about release dates, not GRRM's completion date).

If you are ever unsure whether GRRM has given us a release date, I can guarantee you he hasn't. When he gives an actual release date, we'll all be certain of it. :P

And O'Brien has certainly mentioned GoT enough times. So if he isn't a fan, he must know somebody on his staff that is a big fan! I imagine he is a fan.

0:56

I think it might be Osha

It's

Shae

"I was at the premiere talking to 3 of the actors and I suddenly realized they were all dead... Another actress said to me 'Please please don't kill me, I love working on the show!' ...She's dead too." :lol:

I'll just copy/paste my comment from this thread: http://asoiaf.wester...spoil-spoilers/

There were other actresses at the premier including the actress who plays Ygritte, Rose Leslie, but she has read at least until book 4 so she knows she dies next season. Oona Chaplin (Talisa) and Michelle Fairley (Catelyn) were there but they had already filmed their death scenes.

In addition to Lena Headey (Cersei), there were Sophie Turner (Sansa), Gwendoline Christie (Brienne), Emilia Clark (Daenerys), Natalia Tena (Osha), Maisia Williams (Arya), Natalie Dormer (Margaery), Nathalie Emmanuel (Missandei), Sibel Kekilli (Shae), and Carice van Houten (Melisandre).

So it is possible that any of the above could be the individual/character that GRRM was talking about tonight.

Archived