Small questions v.10007

Stubby

What is the generally accepted canonical order? I know the novels and the novellas are canon, but what about the wiki, the app, maps etc?

The wiki is semi-canon, the app is canon but it had some mistakes (obvious ones like Robert was born in the Dothraki sea, which were edited away), the maps from the world book (which I don't know whether is released or not, shame on me) are canon, the other maps are speculative.

After the Karstarks abandoned Robb, where did they all go? What was it, like, 4000 men?

Were there really that many left at tbat point? I got the impression they melted away and most reformed at Harrenhal under Roose.

The wiki is semi-canon, the app is canon but it had some mistakes (obvious ones like Robert was born in the Dothraki sea, which were edited away), the maps from the world book (which I don't know whether is released or not, shame on me) are canon, the other maps are speculative.

"The World of Ice and Fire" was pushed back to spring 2014.

"The Lands of Ice and Fire" (the maps) came out last October.

But yeah, both of them are supposed to be canon.

"The World of Ice and Fire" was pushed back to spring 2014.

"The Lands of Ice and Fire" (the maps) came out last October.

But yeah, both of them are supposed to be canon.

I thought I read somewhere that Lands was written from the perspective of a Maester, and has intentional errors.

My method for dealing with the wiki- if it's footnoted with a textual or SSM reference, I consider it canon. Anything else I research further and if I can't find supporting text or interviews, take it with a large grain of salt.

I have the app but rarely use it as it mostly provides details well known to "dedicated" fans and also doesn't include a lot of the backstory characters.

The map book is wonderful. I wish I had a wall to hang them all on as they're a great reference and attractive besides.

I thought I read somewhere that Lands was written from the perspective of a Maester, and has intentional errors.

Probably in the same way medieval and renaissance maps had issues of scale and perspective. This allows GRRM to avoid being backed into "timeline corners" by fans using map scale to speculate about time and distance. ;)

Been lurking for a little bit here.. My search function isn't working and I wanted to know if there's a good thread for a Bran the Builder being the original A.A. (I love the idea of a Stark/Targ connection in the past especially since I believe R+L=J and Jon=A.A.) Thanks in advance.

When Jon first meets Sam he tells him about a recurring dream in which he looks for but can't find Ned, Robb, Arya and Benjen. Since Ned and Robb are dead does this suggest he will never see Arya or Benjen either?

That is one interpretation, yes.

I've seen another one saying that he cannot find them because the family relations are wrong: Ned's not his father, Arya's not his sister... He's not a Stark. But now that I'm rereading that part I don't think that's a correct interpretation because his Uncle Benjen is also mentioned and that one is definitely always his uncle.

Does it ever state why the Andals couldn't take the North? Were the First Men too strong up there, or is there more to it?

I believe the main reason is Moat Calin, that made invasion by land almost impossible.

They tried invading by the sea. The Wolf's Den was once taken by slavers forces. The Starks had wars with the Arryns, and once was burned by a Vale King.

I guess the northeners were always able to throw invaders back.

Edited for correction.

I believe the main reason is Moat Calin, that made invasion by land almost impossible.

They tried invading by the sea. The Wolf's Den was once taken by slavers forces. The Starks had wars with the Arryns, and once was burned by a Vale King.

I guess the northeners were always able to throw invaders back.

Edited for correction.

Ahh, makes sense. Thanks.

I have an interesting one, but I think I might answer my own question, so maybe I guess I'd like others opinions as to what they think.... the description of the shieldhall in castle black is that its decorated with the shields of the knights taking the black. Jon noted that there r wolves and flayed men as well as other houses from the north. Well my question is, since knights r annoited in the light of the 7 and well the north obviously holds true to the old gods, how can that be, unless its those of mounted horse and those of Lord's. Am I right on this, or maybe grrm made another mistake?

Archived