Small questions v.10007

Stubby

When Jon first meets Sam he tells him about a recurring dream in which he looks for but can't find Ned, Robb, Arya and Benjen. Since Ned and Robb are dead does this suggest he will never see Arya or Benjen either?

I can't recall that at all. Which chapter is it in, Jon IV?

Why did Aerys refuse Tywin's offer to marry Cersei to Rhaegar?

It makes sense to me that if Aerys was getting paranoid over Tywins rising influence (hence getting Jaime into the KG and keeping him by his side, even during Roberts Rebellion), marrying Cersei off to Rhaegar would only give him further reassurance that Tywin would support him no matter what.

Unless the answer again goes back to Aerys insanity and paranoia, which is what i've thought for so long.

It makes sense to me that if Aerys was getting paranoid over Tywins rising influence (hence getting Jaime into the KG and keeping him by his side, even during Roberts Rebellion), marrying Cersei off to Rhaegar would only give him further reassurance that Tywin would support him no matter what.

Unless the answer again goes back to Aerys insanity and paranoia, which is what i've thought for so long.

Although his paranoia and jealousy of Tywin certainly played a part, IMO the main reason was her lack of Targaryen blood.

Aerys's answer of not marrying the servants could be taken at face value.

I think he was also concerned with having some Valyrian blood for Rhaegar's wife. He was as steeped in Valyrian/Targ since he was raised in Aegon V court and was alive and possibly even at the Tragedy at Summerhall.

Maybe he didn't want to give more power to House Lannister. If you look at the Targ's willingness to wed into House Martell, it's safer because they are very far away, and not a particularly invasive or militarily threatening/rich house. Letting a house into your political circle, who could scheme and one day pose a threat, is bad politics.

was wondering if anyone could lead me to some theories of the Hoster Tully mumble about Tansy and what it might mean. Or if someone could sum it up a bit i would appreciate it

was wondering if anyone could lead me to some theories of the Hoster Tully mumble about Tansy and what it might mean. Or if someone could sum it up a bit i would appreciate it

There are two lines of thought: 1) That he dosed his daughter Lysa Tully with tansy to abort a pregnancy 2) That he had a relationship with a prostitute named Tansy. The first is all but 100% verified. The second is not really all that important, in that it would have no impact on the story whatsoever.

In my re-read of AFFC, i'm quite puzzled by the logic behind Arianne's motives to crown Myrcella. Apart from the seeding of further chaos, and "angering the lionsure", it doesn't seem to further any of her motives, which are, at that point of time, making sure she remains heiress for Dorne, and possibly freeing the Sand Snakes and getting vengeance for Oberyn. Is there something i'm not seeing here?

Sure it does. She starts a general revolt against her father and emerges as the "right" leader for Dorne. I don't know if it's stupid but it sure seems risky.

Did Jon Arryn not know that Lysa had been 'used' before?

The speculation was that along with Ned taking Brandon's place marrying Catelyn, Hoster Tully made the deal of Lysa marrying Jon Arryn for Tully's forces and loyalty. So Jon knew, but did it any way. He was at this point childless.

It is a little unclear as to if they got married before or after the Battle of the Bells. This is speculation, but there also might have been an arrangement that Job heir, Denis Arryn, was to marry Lysa, but he then died at the Battle of the Bells, so Jon took his place.

There are two lines of thought: 1) That he dosed his daughter Lysa Tully with tansy to abort a pregnancy 2) That he had a relationship with a prostitute named Tansy. The first is all but 100% verified. The second is not really all that important, in that it would have no impact on the story whatsoever.

Are there references to "tansy" in the novels as some sort of abortion concoction? Is it like moon tea?

So, Can a warg control a dragon? Were some (or all) of the Targaryen's wargs?

Do they not have that level of connection with their dragons? Thoughts?

dragons are supposedly the same intelligence level as a dog, so i see no reason why they cant be warged. Warging seems to be restricted to a lucky few with first men blood.

Archived