Small questions v.10007

Stubby

new here, so if either of these questions belong somewhere else my bad but a couple of things have been nagging at me:

2. Why does it never occur to Mel, prior to the letter from the watch, to go the wall? I mean she emphasizes the threat of the Great Other right from the get go and you would think she would have seen this sort of thing coming (in the fires?) I mean the wall is in the most northern/coldest part of the 7 kingdoms after all

Welcome! And I think Mel just takes advantage of a situation that Davos brings to light. Plus she's not exactly spot on at reading those fires either.

2. Why does it never occur to Mel, prior to the letter from the watch, to go the wall? I mean she emphasizes the threat of the Great Other right from the get go and you would think she would have seen this sort of thing coming (in the fires?) I mean the wall is in the most northern/coldest part of the 7 kingdoms after all

Because she is not entirely honest about things. She probably counted on Stannis winning the Iron Throne, too, meaning that it would've been much easier to rally troops to the North once he won all of his battles.

It didn't really turn out as planned and I think her encouragement to go North is partly a shield against Blackwater being partly her fault.

Someone help me remember,in the books, does Jon see what Craster gives his son too? A wight or an Other?

No Gilly comes to Jon after he wakes up the morning after Ghost kills the Rabbit. She is worried for he baby and want's Jon to help. She had spoken to Sam the night before and he sent her. She thinks Jon can help her because he is the brother to a King. When he asks why she starts talking about the Cold Gods. She tells Jon how Craster gives his sheep dogs and sons to the White Shadows. That they come when it gets really, really cold, and that it has been growing cold more often lately. He asks they color of their eyes, and she says blue.

Jon later thinks how a woman at Winterfell told him that the Others sometimes mated with Humans and created half breeds. It's also hinted Craster may have blood of the Others in him. Then again that is also hinted about the Starks. Brandon Ice Eyes who brought the extreme cold with him when he came down on the Wolfs den.

Craster and Jon never have a confrontation, but when he sees Jon he knows he is a Stark right off the bat. Basically Crasters Gods are the Others.

My question is if the main family die without an heir like Jon arryn (if SR dies) and another is to inherit but they have a different last name do they always have to change their name to the house they inherit? Like the late lord hornwoods nephew beren tallhart could inherit house hornwood if he changes his last name. And what if that person already comes from a powerful family themselves do they still change their name so that house doesn't die out since they share blood?

Hello. First post here. I was just wondering if maesters could be Lord Commanders of the Nights Watch? I was just wondering because maester Aemon seems like he would have been a good choice sometime throughout his stay.

Hello. First post here. I was just wondering if maesters could be Lord Commanders of the Nights Watch? I was just wondering because maester Aemon seems like he would have been a good choice sometime throughout his stay.

No, in SoS he tells Jon that those of his order can only counsel not command. That's when Jon first takes command.

And welcome btw. :)

Have there really been 10,007 small questions threads?

No but every time a new one opens up someone asks if there have been 1000X, it's just the way they started numbering them.

My question is if the main family die without an heir like Jon arryn (if SR dies) and another is to inherit but they have a different last name do they always have to change their name to the house they inherit? Like the late lord hornwoods nephew beren tallhart could inherit house hornwood if he changes his last name. And what if that person already comes from a powerful family themselves do they still change their name so that house doesn't die out since they share blood?

I have no official answer, but I'd assume so. I think Harry Hardyng if he ever inherits the Lordship of the Vale would change his name to Harry Arryn.

I have a new question.Which do you think is the real Lightbringer?

I thought about it and I am doubing between Longclaw or Red Dawn.Any thoughts?

Big question, and no community consensus in sight. Candidates that have been thrown around include, but are not limited to:

- Longclaw

- The Night's Watch

- Dany's dragons

- Dawn

- Stannis's fake Lightbringer

- Jon Snow himself

- Oathkeeper

- There's no real Lightbringer, nor will there ever be one

- Widow's Wail

- Tormund's Giant Member

Yep, they were FM who fled from the Andals there as far as I recall. As in they weren't on the Isles the whole time. And there they developed their own culture.

Actually the Iron Islands have been inhabited by First Men for thousands of years just like the rest of Westeros. The Andals did invade the Islands, but they adopted the Ironborn culture and the Drowned God religion (already present before the Andal invasion and most likely predating the Pact, where the other First Men adopted the Children of the Forest's Old Gods religion), effectively merging with the local First Men.

Archived