Small questions v.10007

Stubby

Has GRRM ever confirmed wether tormund ever actually had sex with a bear or is torments just making up a funny story

Not as such, but given bears are 500kg behemoths and don't look at all like women, we can assume that he was making things up. He also claimed to lose half of his gentleman's sausage and yet still have twice as much downstairs as any other man. :P

How come the First Men's names, such as Stark, Dayne and Blackwood, are written in english (and thus, in the Common Tongue)? Shouldn't they sound more Old Tongue-ish, like the giant's names? Is this a mistake on George's part, or has there been a change in the family names after the Andals came?

How come the First Men's names, such as Stark, Dayne and Blackwood, are written in english (and thus, in the Common Tongue)? Shouldn't they sound more Old Tongue-ish, like the giant's names? Is this a mistake on George's part, or has there been a change in the family names after the Andals came?

This is to simplify matters for the reader. Even most of the Wildings seem to speak the language that the Andals introduced, despite the fact they're also descended from the First Men. It's not a mistake, as such, it's simply a suspension of disbelief on the reader's part that the entire of Westeros has a common language - even the North and Dorne, who are ethnically different.

That said, there is a possible and realistic in-world reason. Most of the characters we read about are high-born. The Starks would likely learn Common because that's the language of the realm. The Lannisters teach their children Valyrian, because that's what a classy family does. Since Jon doesn't understand the Old Tongue (and seems to have had the same upbringing as Robb) then the Starks probably don't speak it any more at all. There are probably (relatively) huge numbers of people within the North who do not speak Common tongue but they are not shown to the audience, or the moments when Northern commanders needed translators to address troops fighting in the Riverlands just weren't included.

As mentioned above, this is to simplify things. I don't think GRRM is a linguist so creating an entire language from scratch just to have translated names wouldn't really work so well. I don't assume the Common Tongue is actually English.

Also, the giants just seem to have a very different naming system, even from the groups who actually do only speak the Old Tongue, like the Thenns. The Thenns that we know of have names more similar to the First Men south of the wall.

Is Big Walder suppose to be bad, I know Little Walder is but I can't remember.Especially when it sad Big Walder didn't take part in the cruelties of Ramsay the way Little Walder did?

I suppose he's good for a Frey. He is better than Little Walder whose bigger on the outside but smaller on the inside.

There is a Jamie chapter where he hears about the large wolf-pack being led by a huge she-wolf in the Riverlands and wonders if it is the same as the one from the Kingsroad. Can someone tell me where this is in the books?

There is a Jamie chapter where he hears about the large wolf-pack being led by a huge she-wolf in the Riverlands and wonders if it is the same as the one from the Kingsroad. Can someone tell me where this is in the books?

I think it's in the second part of AFFC, when Jaime goes to visit Lancel.

Not a 100% sure, though.

In Brienne 5 and Jaime 4, both in AFfC, as well as the last Jaime chapter, which is when he actually has the thought that it is the same she-wolf.

does e-ro stand for someone in the books, or just a poster?

I was told not to ask.

also, has there even been a union between stark and targaryen that resulted in children, and if so, do we know who those children are?

None that we know of yet and I have seen you on here enough surely you know of R+L theory.

and lastly, why did aegon IV legitimize his bastards? just to cause crazy mischief? pride?

He was known as Aegon the Unworthy, I don't think any reason has been given in the books yet, but without it some great stories never would have happened.

I've been reading the Citadel and I have a problem with the page references. I looked in the chapters sections for the page numbers in my books, but none of them were correct. I think I have the UK paperback (this is my copy of A Clash of Kings: http://www.adlibris.com/se/product.aspx?isbn=0007447833). I'm wondering if it's another edition than the ones referenced at the citadel chapter section that I have, or if the page numbers for ACoK are wrong? (If they are I would gladly correct them, just wondering :) ) Thanks

I've been reading the Citadel and I have a problem with the page references. I looked in the chapters sections for the page numbers in my books, but none of them were correct. I think I have the UK paperback (this is my copy of A Clash of Kings: http://www.adlibris.com/se/product.aspx?isbn=0007447833). I'm wondering if it's another edition than the ones referenced at the citadel chapter section that I have, or if the page numbers for ACoK are wrong? (If they are I would gladly correct them, just wondering :) ) Thanks

What size is your book? PB come in two sizes, a larger one (referred to as "trade" or "digest" size) and a smaller one (called "mass market") Based on the price in the link you posted, I'm guessing you have a trade size. The pages in yours should actually be much closer to the HC pages since many publishing houses actually use the same pages ("guts") and slap the less expensive soft cover on them. Most of the page converting charts are referencing the mass market edition when they say PB.

That said, the page chart on the wiki is more complete than the one at the Citadel and gives the ISBN of each edition referenced:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Chapters_Table_of_contents

What size is your book? PB come in two sizes, a larger one (referred to as "trade" or "digest" size) and a smaller one (called "mass market") Based on the price in the link you posted, I'm guessing you have a trade size. The pages in yours should actually be much closer to the HC pages since many publishing houses actually use the same pages ("guts") and slap the less expensive soft cover on them. Most of the page converting charts are referencing the mass market edition when they say PB.

That said, the page chart on the wiki is more complete than the one at the Citadel and gives the ISBN of each edition referenced:

http://awoiaf.wester...ble_of_contents

Mine is the small one. The one in the links is trade size like you said, since I couldn't find the other. The pages listed on the wiki seems to be the same as mine though, so thank you. :)

Archived