Small questions v.10007

Stubby

to get to Essos, do Ironborn have to sail all the way down under Dorne or is there quicker way?

Here you go: http://raccoon.com.b...ros-e-Essos.jpg

Answer is yes, that's the quickest way

ETA: I should add that the link above shows map speculative of the places we haven't been shown so far (like eastern Essos), but relative position of Westeros and Essos is confirmed and cannon.

Why did Aerys refuse Tywin's offer to marry Cersei to Rhaegar?

It makes sense to me that if Aerys was getting paranoid over Tywins rising influence (hence getting Jaime into the KG and keeping him by his side, even during Roberts Rebellion), marrying Cersei off to Rhaegar would only give him further reassurance that Tywin would support him no matter what.

Unless the answer again goes back to Aerys insanity and paranoia, which is what i've thought for so long.

i think it was Aerys' arrogance, and him saying he wouldn't marry his heir to his servants says it all. i don't think there is more to it, intentionally.

Maybe he didn't want to give more power to House Lannister. If you look at the Targ's willingness to wed into House Martell, it's safer because they are very far away, and not a particularly invasive or militarily threatening/rich house. Letting a house into your political circle, who could scheme and one day pose a threat, is bad politics.

keep your friends close. and your enemies closer. i think you have this backwards.

Since you're fairly new I'll say, no. I think the general consensus is that losing a head rules you out as a wight. But you may not want to get to close to the dungeons in KL.

completely out of left field, but this idea triggered something:

what if something like this happens, i mean about KL dungeons, since i am assuming the reference would be a bunch of dead bodies coming back as wights, then what about the technically dead Ser Robert Strong? could he become a super-wight and wreck some havok without being controlled by Qyburn or Cersei?

keep your friends close. and your enemies closer. i think you have this backwards.

yeah you're right, marry into families that pose the most threat, and let them stay within striking distance, knowing all of your personal politics. :rolleyes:

yeah you're right, marry into families that pose the most threat, and let them stay within striking distance, knowing all of your personal politics. :rolleyes:

just because they maryr into the family, doesn't mean they will know everything, and a better chance that they can know what you want them to know. and this would have been a daughter marrying into the "bigger" family, she certainly wouldn't be on the small council,a dn could be sent to the heir's main residence, thus taking her entire retinue, meaning more people away from court.

Wouldn't the northern lords have known that fake Arya wasn't Arya since over the years they had to have visited Winterfell?

The ones at Winterfell didnt get a good look at her except Lady Dustin and I think she knows. They may all know and that's why Theon was needed to "officially" confirm her identity. She hasnt been seen since the wedding and the wedding was foggy with poor visibility. Jeyne confided in Theon right off and probably did to Lady Dustin as well. Anyone in the castle has to at least play along. Most of them want the Starks restored and will turn on Bolton the second they can. The lords marching to Winterfell of course havent seen fake Arya at all.

Are there any other known examples of what happened to Hardhome and Valyria? Do we know if these events happen every 300 years?

Valyria blew up thousands of years earlier. Cant recall Hardhome.

No but it was Ramsay.

The blood ink, the spiky penmanship, the obvious lies and inconsistencies.

what religion did the targaryens practice before they came to westeros and converted to the faith of the 7?

Not sure they converted wholly. They needed the High Septon to confirm them.

They had gods - in fact Dany named her ships after 3 of them

I probably missed/forgot the answer in the books but why does the gaoler have an ancient Targaryen gold coin? It was said Olenna had a chest full of them. Originally I thought Varys planted it to distract attention off himself but everyone knew he was involved so that wouldn't so much.

Then as a second question, did Varys intend on releasing Tyrion anyways? Maybe he foresaw how Tyrion could help Aegon. It would explain why he sent him to Illyrio.

Yeah.

And remember that Cersei learns about Olenna's alleged chest full of them from Taena Merryweather, whose motives are less than clear.

Yes. No one ever sees any of these coins. Total fakeout. I really think Taena was completely spying on Cersei.

Sure it does. She starts a general revolt against her father and emerges as the "right" leader for Dorne. I don't know if it's stupid but it sure seems risky.

She thought her Dad had unfairly bypassed her as his heir and wanted to make a big move

Littlefinger really thought he had Cat, he even says so to Sansa. He thought he had them both, I guess. Creep. :P

Almost everything he says is a lie and the rest is misleading.

I have a new question.Which do you think is the real Lightbringer?

I thought about it and I am doubing between Longclaw or Red Dawn.Any thoughts?

Jon dreams himself on the Wall armored in ice (possibly the Special Ice the Others use for swords) holding a sword like Lightbringer. I think this is a premonition. Dont know if it is Longclaw. In fact there is debate that Dragonsteel may not be Valyrian steel.

Actually the Iron Islands have been inhabited by First Men for thousands of years just like the rest of Westeros. The Andals did invade the Islands, but they adopted the Ironborn culture and the Drowned God religion (already present before the Andal invasion and most likely predating the Pact, where the other First Men adopted the Children of the Forest's Old Gods religion), effectively merging with the local First Men.

I may have missed something but there is a passage about "when the Ironmen arrived on the islands" - they dont hold to the old gods, they dont marry off the islands. I think they are a separate people like the Rhoynish only more insular. So to speak. At one point they conquered the Riverlands.

Not as such, but given bears are 500kg behemoths and don't look at all like women, we can assume that he was making things up. He also claimed to lose half of his gentleman's sausage and yet still have twice as much downstairs as any other man. :P

He's a teller of tales.

how exactly does stannis go about rallying the support of the mountain clans? I know he takes his time with it and feasts at each village or something like that to earn their trust, and that jon gave him advice on how to appeal to them in regards to Ned's legacy... so I guess my REAL question is: what exactly was it about Ned the mountain clans loved so much that it allows for Stannis, a complete stranger, to drop his name and over time win their trust and support?

He follows Jon's advice demonstrating an amazing ability to rally people that he didnt have in the south. Probably the Northmen considered a threat from beyond the wall a bit more seriously than other people.

Did GRRM ever say there is no back story of why "Jaqen" got into the Black Cells in the first place? I saw it mentioned in an uncited post but I couldn't find a corresponding SSM.

Yes. It's in an SSM somewhere - printed thank the gods. Though there are worse ways to spend several days than going through GRRM videos. He seemed a little taken aback by the question - like he hadnt really thought about it.

what about the technically dead Ser Robert Strong? could he become a super-wight and wreck some havok without being controlled by Qyburn or Cersei?

It's crazy but it just might work! Winter is coming. THough the white raven hadnt come to KL yet

just because they maryr into the family, doesn't mean they will know everything, and a better chance that they can know what you want them to know. and this would have been a daughter marrying into the "bigger" family, she certainly wouldn't be on the small council,a dn could be sent to the heir's main residence, thus taking her entire retinue, meaning more people away from court.

I must say, it worked out great for King Robert.

Question about House names? Hypothetically, if Ahsara and Ned had wed. Would Ned have become Lord of Starfall? Would their children be named Stark? And from that point on, would Starfall be known as House Stark, House Dayne or some kind of combination?

Question about House names? Hypothetically, if Ahsara and Ned had wed. Would Ned have become Lord of Starfall? Would their children be named Stark? And from that point on, would Starfall be known as House Stark, House Dayne or some kind of combination?

If i remember correctly Ashara has an older brother (Edric Dayne's father) so i assume that he is/was the Lord of Starfall. So since she doesn't get to inherit her family's seat she would be Ashara Stark and probably move North with Ned

Archived