[BOOK SPOILERS] Gendry's destiny

Veltigar

1) The Free cities: not bloody likely

2) Back to the Riverlands: After what Beric pulled on him I don’t see that happening

3) Accompany Davos to Skagos: I think he would cramp Davos Style

4) The Wall to form a bastard tandem with JS. Possibly, especially considering the fact that Sam leaves JS and that he is without a best friend then. They might blend Satin and Iron Emmet’s role in one for him.

5) The Vale: I have speculated that Gendry in tWoW ends up in the Vale alongside Brienne and the remnants of the BWB. They might send him to the Vale a lot sooner in the series. If they send him now than he could replace Mya Stone when Sansa arrives there.

ð My personal preference would be 5) but I could live with 4). What do you think?

Where do you think he'll end up?

EDIT: I have just seen the episode and it appears that he’ll be going to Kingslanding. That means that there are two options:

1) Gendry can’t row for shit and he winds up in the Vale instead of in KL. There he’ll replace Mya Stone as a friend to Alayne Stone.

2) Gendry gets back to Kingslanding. There he’ll bump into Brienne, who’ll recognize him as kin to Renly. After the PW, he’ll accompany her and Pod the Sexgod (or maybe they kill Podd of next season, that could be possible) in search for Sansa.

I was hoping Davos will ask saladon Saan to take him to the free cities and he might reunite with arya but he's back where he started.

i also thought it was a bit odd for Davos to leave Gendry marooned in a small craft at sea. I thought it would have been the perfect opportunity to bring back the Saladhor Saan actor (who is always enjoyable to watch) and have him whisk Gendry away to Lys or something.

In season five Tyrion will come across a rotting boat out in the ocean with Gendry's skeleton in it. He'll comment on it with a droll witticism and that'll be it for Gendry.

Considering what they did to Jon and Stannis, I would not be shocked at all.

Gendry will die. He was left all alone in a boat to row a few hundred miles to King's Landing. And this is a person who doesn't know how to row a boat or to swim, and has extremely limited supplies.

I am reminded of my own experience while boating as a tourist. When in the boat, I asked the tour guide to let me try rowing. And believe me its not easy or natural. I flapped around for a while and couldn't make the boat move. It just sort of moved forward and backward alternately.

Okay maybe I'm an idiot and Gendry's a supergenious. But I really don't see him getting far. Plot wise, I don't think he or Edric Storm contributes much to the story. So it's perfectly fine for him to die.

I think it'll end up being some weird merger of Gendry's and Edric's storylines, but with an alternate end-point. I agree it might be interesting to just have him show up in the Vale. Also, this whole change to Gendry's story makes me more hopeful that he and Arya will reunite at some point, since the bad note they ended on in the books didn't happen in the show. It's also possible they're just going to merge all the bastards (Edric, Mya, Gendry) into one story for the sake of brevity. It wouldn't be that difficult to do... He's already taken over what we know about Edric, if he goes to the Vale, he could easily double as a friend to "Alayne" in the place of Mya.

Gendry will die. He was left all alone in a boat to row a few hundred miles to King's Landing. And this is a person who doesn't know how to row a boat or to swim, and has extremely limited supplies.

I am reminded of my own experience while boating as a tourist. When in the boat, I asked the tour guide to let me try rowing. And believe me its not easy or natural. I flapped around for a while and couldn't make the boat move. It just sort of moved forward and backward alternately.

Okay maybe I'm an idiot and Gendry's a supergenious. But I really don't see him getting far. Plot wise, I don't think he or Edric Storm contributes much to the story. So it's perfectly fine for him to die.

Oh, I'd love for the show to do an adaptation of your experience while boating as a tourist. They could title it "Gendry didn't get that far: boating as a tourist" which is the story of how Gendry got nowhere :lol:

But isn't he going to KL, or did I misunderstand it?

He's going to King's Landing, Davos said so. His purpose is anyone's guess. Maybe KL is where he'll be in the end and he'll sit the Iron Throne, mwahahaha.

Crackpot: he gets picked up by Yara and joins her manly rescue team.

Or he could meet Brienne... or something. Bleh.

I don't see him going to the Wall because you know, Stannis and Mel are going there and that would just start everything up again...

I was hoping Davos will ask saladon Saan to take him to the free cities and he might reunite with arya but he's back where he started.

Thats what I thought would happen, and he might still run into Salladhor .

I can't see him going back to Flea Bottom , where he would be recognized.

Some change must happen next season.

If the show was remotely realistic about distances and transportation, you would have been right. But we all know he'll appear in KL next season fresh as a daisy.

i also thought it was a bit odd for Davos to leave Gendry marooned in a small craft at sea. I thought it would have been the perfect opportunity to bring back the Saladhor Saan actor (who is always enjoyable to watch) and have him whisk Gendry away to Lys or something.

Budget issues.

I still think he is going to be rescued by Saan , but taken to Braavos.

EDIT: I have just seen the episode and it appears that he’ll be going to Kingslanding. That means that there are two options:

1) Gendry can’t row for shit and he winds up in the Vale instead of in KL. There he’ll replace Mya Stone as a friend to Alayne Stone.

2) Gendry gets back to Kingslanding. There he’ll bump into Brienne, who’ll recognize him as kin to Renly. After the PW, he’ll accompany her and Pod the Sexgod (or maybe they kill Podd of next season, that could be possible) in search for Sansa.

It's also possible they're just going to merge all the bastards (Edric, Mya, Gendry) into one story for the sake of brevity. It wouldn't be that difficult to do... He's already taken over what we know about Edric, if he goes to the Vale, he could easily double as a friend to "Alayne" in the place of Mya.

:agree: That would be my guess. It might actually work.

i can't see folding mya into gendry but i suppose d&d have done worse things. without knowing what is meant for gendry in the books, i would expect him to find his way to the inn to take his place as protector of the orphans. i expect him to be found there by brienne and party in the books but am not sure. so that will drive where he goes on the show, logically.

Or he joins her to find Arya, since he's the only one who knows she's alive.

That would make an interesting "reunion" for him with the BWB. In the LS thread, I suggested that they might use his POV to introduce of Lady Stoneheart. Combining his story with Brienne makes sense, actually.

I know I'm alone here, but I'm a fan of combining subplots (like Gendry/Edric). Too many diverging threads slows the whole show down.

Or he joins her to find Arya, since he's the only one who knows she's alive.

That would make an interesting "reunion" for him with the BWB. In the LS thread, I suggested that they might use his POV to introduce of Lady Stoneheart. Combining his story with Brienne makes sense, actually.

I know I'm alone here, but I'm a fan of combining subplots (like Gendry/Edric). Too many diverging threads slows the whole show down.

You are not the only one, I agree with you here. And I think you are on to something. If Gendry and Brienne travel the Riverlands they could have a very dense season. First some filler after they leave KL, you know them travelling and they hear about the change of leadership with the BwB. After that they can go after Locke and his goons. They find the inn (they'll probably use the inn where Hot Pie stayed and maybe re-introduce him), Locke attacks them, Gendry and Brienne are almost killed but than the BwB barges in. They take them all to their cave, they hang Locke and reveal LS.

Archived