[BOOK SPOILERS] Gendry's destiny

Veltigar

Someone has to look for Arya on the show, Gendry seems the best candidate for it because he knows how she looks like better than anybody at this point.

My issue with the Brienne / Gendry / maybe Pod adventure is that I don't think those characters would be very interesting together. They're all pretty quiet, they have non-conflicting moral codes, they set their minds to doing something and then plod along trying to do it.

I think Gendry would be a good way to contrast Brienne's feelings for Renly while dealing with her newfound feelings for Jaime. Remember: Gendry and Renly are supposed to look alike since the books.

Not to mention, there's a lot of Lannister hate going on between Arya & Gendry for him not to have an interesting dicussion with someone like Brienne (a grown up Arya of sorts).

And I think Pod would be a better choice to leave with Jaime than the anonymous squire Jaime brought with him on the books, if only because the audience is already familiar with him..

ETA: It could also present an interesting conflict if the Brotherhood & Stoneheart clash over hanging Arya's friend. After all, they already know Gendry on the show better than they ever knew Pod on the book.

I think Gendry would be a good way to contrast Brienne's feelings for Renly while dealing with her newfound feelings for Jaime. Remember: Gendry and Renly are supposed to look alike since the books.

I'm with you on everything except their playing up Gendry's resemblance to Renly. The audience remembers Renly and the actors don't look much alike. Besides, Gendry's too short for Brienne. ^_^

More likely the resemblence mentioned is to a young (i.e., not fat and bearded) Robert, as Ned notices in S1. So anyone who knew Robert back in the day might do a double-take (Jaime? Tyrion?)

But even if Gendry was the spitting image of Renly, which he isn't, I don't think it would have a profound effect on Brienne. She'd do a double-take, and be a little intrigued at finding one of Robert's bastards, but that's it. That's about all that happened in the book. Brienne wasn't in love with Renly just for his looks - she was in love with his ideals and the hope that he could be a king and really make a difference. To her, he was the only person with power who would let her be who she wanted to be. Brienne would never transfer her crush on Renly to Gendry.

This is a slight side topic but the boat Davos gave Gendry, well I know Gendry is not a sailor, but where does GOT production find such wimpy boats!

Even taking that little dinghy along the coast line would be dangerous for an experienced seaman.

Last season they give Jamie and Brienne that tiny canoe! In all of Northern Ireland they can not rent bigger boats!

As much attention as they pay to detail those to watercraft were ludicrous looking!

In both cases they had to take boats that would allow them to be unseen. Of course they're not gonna take anything big or luxorious.

Well something just twice as large would be inconspicuous , but these rinky dink things look like a last min. grab by the property department.

In both cases they had to take boats that would allow them to be unseen. Of course they're not gonna take anything big or luxorious.

They had to pass for peasants (on Jaime & Brienne's case) and an experienced sailor ready to try luck (in Gendry's case).

Anything bigger would've been a big sign telling people there's a price over their heads.

Except that in terms of the show's production time and value, that seems like a really big waste of a character they decided to create an entirely new story arc about that wasn't in the books, don't you think? I highly doubt they're going through all the trouble of having Gendry scenes with Melisandre and then rowing off into the unknown for no reason at all. He's got to have some plot purpose and they're just leaving it open ended for next season.

They had to show Edric Storm' story some way, they were smart to incorporate the characters; some cash saved for another actor and time to present him.By all acounts they want to have less characters as possibile, why keep Gendry if he will not be that important for the story?The bond with Arya and that final speech make perfect sense; they were friends, but Gendry reminded Arya that she is still a lady and nevermind what people want to use him for, he is a normal guy.That concludes a character arc, same story with the boat escape.

Warning: TWoW spoilers-

Brienne and Gendry (not Pod) will be searching for Arya instead of Sansa.

Correct interpretation of Bran's vision from book 1 is Jaime & Brienne (wearing the Hound's helm) vs Robert Strong. Brienne will represent the Faith in Cersei's trial by combat. Robert Strong, indeed invincible, will almost kill Brienne, then Jaime will intervene and confess to the treason of twincest. (Cersei executed, hand of the valonquar, etc.)

The High Septon, knowing Tommen to be a Lannister bastard, will be loathe to name Stannis heir because if his religion. The Septon instead legitimizes Gendry (who came with Jaime & Brienne to KL) as Robert's firstborn and The Smith incarnate. (the Septon also expects to be able to manipulate Gendry Baratheon)

Aegon & The Golden Company reach KL about 5 minutes later.

Intersting theory but I think the Holy Septon can't legitimize bastards, that seems to be a royal perogrative.

I guess if the show keeps Gendry around, it might hint that he will have a role to play in the last two books.

They had to show Edric Storm' story some way, they were smart to incorporate the characters; some cash saved for another actor and time to present him.By all acounts they want to have less characters as possibile, why keep Gendry if he will not be that important for the story?The bond with Arya and that final speech make perfect sense; they were friends, but Gendry reminded Arya that she is still a lady and nevermind what people want to use him for, he is a normal guy.That concludes a character arc, same story with the boat escape.

Intersting theory but I think the Holy Septon can't legitimize bastards, that seems to be a royal perogrative.

I guess if the show keeps Gendry around, it might hint that he will have a role to play in the last two books.

Even Aegon the Conquerer sought the legitimacy of the Seven before sitting on the Iron Throne. Now that the High Septon has an army, he might make it his prerogative to legitimize a bastard, if the alternative is to declare the Seven Kingdoms for a "demon-worshipper".

...The bond with Arya and that final speech make perfect sense; they were friends, but Gendry reminded Arya that she is still a lady and nevermind what people want to use him for, he is a normal guy.

To me, the problem isn't that Gendry was a normal guy but that Arya couldn't be his family because he would never serve Robb, or bow down to a Lady like her mother.

Now, Arya's brother is dead, her mother was killed and what could be Gendry's family is stuck with a man who, the last time Gendry saw him, swore he would've killed Arya should he have known it was her - and not the butcher's boy - that hurt Joffrey.

I just can't picture Gendry being okay with this, not when Arry was a brother bound to the same Night's Watch as he was, not when Arya was hunted down by the same gold cloaks that hunted him, not when Arya was the only family that would've grieved for him at Harrenhal and the only person who moved a finger when the Brotherhood sold him.

How could Gendry hear about the Red Wedding and not wonder whether or not Arya was there? Find out she has no family and not feel guilty because family is what he could've been for her? Know that she's missing and not move a finger for her?

I bet Stannis would've thought twice about burning him on the show, if only he would've known Gendry was the only hope to find Jon's little sister.

Then again, aside the Brotherhood without Banners, no one knows Arya Stark left King's Landing.

Hot Pie.

Littlefinger? It's still up in the air if he recognized her or not is it not? Dang those writers.

Someone has to look for Arya on the show, Gendry seems the best candidate for it because he knows how she looks like better than anybody at this point.

The Brotherhood without Banners goes to the Twins looking for Arya and the Hound in the books, they obviously find dead Catelyn instead. They continue to look for clues to where Arya and the Hound went while they're hanging Freys.

It's unclear how close they get. The BwB are a sponsor of sorts to the crossroads inn, but we don't know how long after it is from the famous Polliver, Tickler, Squire duel.

Littlefinger? It's still up in the air if he recognized her or not is it not? Dang those writers.

He recognized her alright. Problem is: he didn't tell anyone before the Mountain slaughtered every northern Tywin left behind.

As of now, Qyburn is the only one who could shed some light on whether the 3 kids Yoren was taking to the Wall escaped from Harrenhal before the slaughter.

Good thing that Qyburn left with Jaime too, if only because Gendry is not the only one who has a lead on this.

He recognized her alright. Problem is: he didn't tell anyone before the Mountain slaughtered every northern Tywin left behind.

No matter how many times I watch that scene, I can't be sure. To me LF's expression says, "There's something familiar about this cupbearer of Tywin's but I can't put my (little) finger on it."

Now if Sansa encountered Gendry and he recounted being with Arya at Harrenhal, and then later Sansa confides to LF that she's worried about her missing sister, the lightbulb might belatedly go on for LF.

Then a good question is, where does LF stand w/r/to the Boltons? Would he send anyone after the youngest Stark girl?

As of now, Qyburn is the only one who could shed some light on whether the 3 kids Yoren was taking to the Wall escaped from Harrenhal before the slaughter.

Good thing that Qyburn left with Jaime too, if only because Gendry is not the only one who has a lead on this.

Now if Sansa encountered Gendry and he recounted being with Arya at Harrenhal, and then later Sansa confides to LF that she's worried about her missing sister...

Sansa doesn't interact with smiths or bastards: that makes Jaime more likely to find out about Arya through Qyburn than even Sansa's handmaiden to find out about Harrenhal through Gendry.

Not that Gendry is more likely to trust in high borns after Stannis than he was before the season finale.

Sansa doesn't interact with smiths or bastards: that makes Jaime more likely to find out about Arya through Qyburn than even Sansa's handmaiden to find out about Harrenhal through Gendry.

If Brienne is sneaking Sansa out of KL by boat/ship, maybe they save a capsized Gendry.

If Gendry is picked up by the Goldcloaks or Kingsguard, Jaime would notice the resemblance to a young Robert. (though in this case Sansa would have no reason to interact)

Sansa could be looking out into Blackwater bay on a miserable stroll with Tyrion and she could see Gendry's dingy struck by a larger ship, Gendry capsized, Tyrion calls for a Goldcloak to fish him out, then he immediately sees the resemblance to a young Robert.

Silly? Maybe. Possible?

LF told Sansa he saw Arya in the first episode of this season, so yeah, he recognized her, but why he didn't say/do anything doesn't makes sense to me, I mean, he could have told Tywin and earn some points with the Lannisters, he could have send someone to get her and have some leverage against the Starks in case he needed it, and what does he do? nothing. LF is a very smart and opportunistic man, it makes no sense he would do nothing after finding Arya.

I still think Gendry will join Brienne to go look for Arya and/or Sansa, Brienne would probably take him after finding out he is the only person willing to go with her who can identify Arya Stark, and maybe we will get another "almost reunion" with Arya and Gendry almost crossing paths right before she leaves for Bravoos.

LF told Sansa he saw Arya in the first episode of this season, so yeah, he recognized her, but why he didn't say/do anything doesn't makes sense to me, I mean, he could have told Tywin and earn some points with the Lannisters, he could have send someone to get her and have some leverage against the Starks in case he needed it, and what does he do? nothing. LF is a very smart and opportunistic man, it makes no sense he would do nothing after finding Arya.

I still think Gendry will join Brienne to go look for Arya and/or Sansa, Brienne would probably take him after finding out he is the only person willing to go with her who can identify Arya Stark, and maybe we will get another "almost reunion" with Arya and Gendry almost crossing paths right before she leaves for Bravoos.

If you watch the LF/Sansa scene again, you'll notice that LF very carefully avoids lying while still misleading Sansa:

"Your mother very much wants to see you... (long pause) ...and your sister..."

So not a second sentence with Arya as the subject (Arya wants to see you) but Arya as the second object, i.e., (your mother wants to see you and your sister).

Archived