[BOOK SPOILERS] Jaime?

Rashtibram

A couple of questions I have regarding this change:

• If Jaime only received 50 seconds of screen time, then what was the point of him returning early?

• When do we get to see Brienne react to the red wedding?

• Will we even get to see her reaction?

• Jaime returning before the purple wedding means that Cersei is in a completely different frame of mind. Are her and Jaime just going to be happily catching up until the PW or?
  • What is Brienne going to do if she’s no longer going to be imprisoned? Loras says is season two that he doesn't believe Brienne killed Renly.

Well in the books he kind of does , except both Jamie and Brienne go travelogue books 4 and 5.

Brienne has more to do , but it's zero sum until the end of Crows, and Jamie practically disappears, so a whole lot of fixing for them for them. Season 4 still has a lot of SoS to use but , whew!, season 5, big changes.

But this is more easily explainable in the books because Sansa is on the run...there is no rationale why Jamie (and more importantly Brienne) would do nothing to liberate Sansa. By sitting around and doing nothing when Sansa is there, they are both breaking the oath they made to Catelyn which is a major point of Jaime's redemption arc and Brienne's raison d'etre going forward.

Why have it if it was not going to mean anything?!?! There's so little screen time, why waste the time we have?

This was my exact reaction. Why have Jaime arrive back in KL if that's all they were going to do?

A better scene would have been to show Jaime & Brienne on the road to KL, getting the news of the Red Wedding, and their reactions to that. This scene last night was just stupid and pointless. :(

Not only is his redemption arc diminished but now the failure of the KG at the PW lies with him as the commander. The return scene in the book was also quite epic for me the way the guards greeted them as well as Loras' reaction to Brienne. Not sure why they just slipped this scene in at all.

Not an issue for me. And they had to touch base with him in some way before the end of the season. I'm sure they'll find plenty for him to do next season; in particular I think they'll spend more time on his deteriorating relationship with his sister and father (and maybe some pre-wedding bonding with his brother so that he can spend about half the season agonising about whether to help Tyrion or not.

I'd also like to say that his return was handled excellently by both NCW and Lena Heady. Particularly great acting from Heady, conveying about five or six different emotions in one look.

A better scene would have been to show Jaime & Brienne on the road to KL, getting the news of the Red Wedding, and their reactions to that.

On the other hand, this would have been a good alternative.

But this is more easily explainable in the books because Sansa is on the run...there is no rationale why Jamie (and more importantly Brienne) would do nothing to liberate Sansa. By sitting around and doing nothing when Sansa is there, they are both breaking the oath they made to Catelyn which is a major point of Jaime's redemption arc and Brienne's raison d'etre going forward.

A good point, I wonder how they are going to fix that?

In the books that is a plot point, Sansa disappears, why Brienne is sent out.

Jamie is not at the PW, and later seems to be the only one (except for Varys) who figures out that Tyrion did not off Joffrey.

All the LF stealing of Sansa , or the plot thereof, has gone missing this season.

This. I'd really like to know the reason for this change, as it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

• If Jaime only received 50 seconds of screen time, then what was the point of him returning early?

• Jaime returning before the purple wedding means that Cersei is in a completely different frame of mind. Are her and Jaime just going to be happily catching up until the PW or?
  • What is Brienne going to do if she’s no longer going to be imprisoned? Loras says is season two that he doesn't believe Brienne killed Renly.

1- F-ck knows. It makes zero sense.

2- I guess we don't. Such a wasted opportunity.

3- Exactly.

4- Nodding in the background, if her last scene in the show is any indication for next season.

In the books Jaime/Brienne's return to KL is pretty messy and eventful. Brienne already knows about the RW, she's very upset about it and calls the Lannisters "murderers". Jaime offers her a place in KL or anything she wants and she's like "up yours Jaime!". Then she's arrested, and Jaime and Cersei have that big, bold dramatic and disgusting sex scene which is the beginning of the end for them. That's a very good chapter which would have worked great on screen. And we swapped it for Jaime pathetically feeling upset because his status is diminshed, Brienne nodding and a soap opera worthy reunion with Cersei.

I'm losing hope in the writing of this show, if this is what we get going forward. It's sh-t.

I found the scene very beautiful,

That was actually my exact problem with the scene. This is supposed to be a twisted, wrong, perverse relationship, and there should be at least an undertone of something forbidden or "not right" going on. Instead, it was like a typical romantic homecoming of the wounded hero to his long-suffering wife.

What I don't understand is now that Jamie and Brienne are in KL before the wedding, why are they not going to help Sansa? Unless Joff's wedding is the first episode of season 4 or they make more major plot changes, this won't make much sense.

Yeah, little finger may literally have to kidnap her now...it's just retarded...a kings road scene with the red keep looming a few weeks ride away could have accomplished a lot.

They're obviously going to play up the deteriorating lannister family relations but that now has a knock on affect to timeline and character placement.

Let's be honest Brienne's quest to find Sansa was really boring. I'll welcome a change here.

Chances are that Brienne/Jaime will ask for her to be returned to...? Tywin will say no and argue with Jaime. The PW will happen E02 so Brienne could be sent to find her by E03

I also wouldn't be shocked if her quest gets delayed, she could play an Ilyn Payne role, gets sent to the dungeon for a little, or even play a role in Sansa's escape. It's different but once we try it on it may not be so bad.

Brienne's quest to save Sansa was definitely boring.

But, still, the allegedly redeemed Jamie decided he was going to keep his word and free Sansa from his family.

So, now that he is in KL while Sansa is still there, how is the show going to get around him not doing it and why did they set it up this way, when they did'nt do anything with their arrival anyway?

You guys place WAY to much importance on minor scenes. Jaime "chewing out the KG" over Joffrey's death is insignificant. As is, Jaime will likely help orchestrate Loras becoming a member of the KG and then when Joffrey dies and Jaime takesTyrion's side, it will cause a rift between Jaime and Cersei, just as there was a rift in the books. Jaime will then send Briene after a now missing Sansa Stark to make up for not being able to fulfill his promise to Catelyn.

No worries chicken littles, the sky is still above your heads.

What I don't understand is now that Jamie and Brienne are in KL before the wedding, why are they not going to help Sansa? Unless Joff's wedding is the first episode of season 4 or they make more major plot changes, this won't make much sense.

What is he going to do? Take his brother's bride and send her to her crazy aunt? Who is basically her only surviving family? He'll help Sansa after she goes missing. He'll send Briene to find her and protect her.

What is he going to do? Take his brother's bride and send her to her crazy aunt? Who is basically her only surviving family? He'll help Sansa after she goes missing. He'll send Briene to find her and protect her.

He made a promise to Cat, now that he's in KL and so is she, if he fails to help her he is breaking his promise.

An easily avoided problem if he had not arrived in KL prior to the wedding.

1. To create some story with him and Cersei next season before she goes mad with grief. She'll likely partially blame him after Joffs death. Especially when he takes Tyrion's side.

2. Maybe she'll find out about the RW and about Sansa's marriage, make some comment to Jaime about them not being able to fulfill their vows and then leave (to be summoned later on by Jaime after the PW).

3. Redundant

4. This will make for good TV, because they'll show the two happy before everything falls apart after the PW. The viewers will actually get to see the impact the PW has on their relationship.

5. Again, she will likely go away in disgust after she finds out only to be summoned back by Jaime after the PW.

Seriously guys... think outside the box some times. You guys act like changing the smallest, most insignificant details in a book series with thousands of pages will just ruin the whole show.

He made a promise to Cat, now that he's in KL and so is she, if he fails to help her he is breaking his promise.

An easily avoided problem if he had not arrived in KL prior to the wedding.

As is, the person he made the promise to is dead. There's no promise to keep. All he promised is that he'd return Sansa and Arya to Catelyn.

Archived