[Book Spoilers] Robb and Grey Wind

Broken Fox

It was an orgy of vicious, sadistic violence, slaughter and mayhem, even in that brief glimpse - Stark and Stark bannermens' men-at-arms on fire, being beheaded, mutilated, hanged, and Robb and Greywind's desecration.

While the show's RW was tamed down in comparison to ASOS's RW, the aftermath of the RW in the show last night was horrifying and ASOS's two massive tents of fire, and the rumors of Robb/Grey Wind pale in comparison (obviously).

The Frey family and their men-at-arms are really sick, twisted, repulsive and beyond human. Indeed the lowest of the low in terms of the Houses of Westeros.

I hope that Jon Snow (and assassin Arya) kills them all and wipes out their House.

The saddest part of the entire saga is how close Arya gets to being reunited with her family, only for it to be torn away from her in such a cruel manner. It makes me well up reading the books but the show was so much worse having Arya actually see Robb paraded in front of her. I was gld they included it as it is such an iconic moment to really seal the barbaric nature of the RW and highlighted the fact that the Freys and Roose didn't do it and feel bad, but actually revelled in what they had done.

This scene was horrific but it cuts to the point and fuels our rightful hatred and Arya's. i was very touched when Sandor (the hound) took a Direwolf banner, as it to save it from destruction. I thought that was very moving. I would love to see the hound in the books eventually fight for the Starks.

He took Twins banner, so that Freys wouldn't attack them.

Correct http://cdn.thedailyb...9611.cached.jpg

The Frey family and their men-at-arms are really sick, twisted, repulsive and beyond human. Indeed the lowest of the low in terms of the Houses of Westeros.

And thats why no one actually liked them before that and thats why more people hate them after that. They're only influental to others luck only for Riverlands and North. And thank god we know they will end up being screwed over by

a) Gods B) North c) BwB altogether.

This makes wonder.

Let's say some Frey-leader give orders to attack a drunk (helpless) army. Did they give orders to mutilate them and torture before killing? If yes, how is it the men are capable of doing this? I mean what reason did the actual foot soldiers have to slaughter their former brothers-in-arms in such heinous way, rather than simply killing them. The foot soldiers weren't betrayed, only the actual Freys. I can understand that someone in charge says "these guys betrayed us ans we shall attack them in the night" but mutilating and other horror I don't understand.

Like, a soldier in Frey-army finds out, "oh, King Robb broke his vow and our alliance is at end. Ok so now we will go and cut some limbs of the same leveled foot soldier whom with I fought side-by-side in a war"

This makes wonder.

Let's say some Frey-leader give orders to attack a drunk (helpless) army. Did they give orders to mutilate them and torture before killing? If yes, how is it the men are capable of doing this? I mean what reason did the actual foot soldiers have to slaughter their former brothers-in-arms in such heinous way, rather than simply killing them. The foot soldiers weren't betrayed, only the actual Freys. I can understand that someone in charge says "these guys betrayed us ans we shall attack them in the night" but mutilating and other horror I don't understand.

Like, a soldier in Frey-army finds out, "oh, King Robb broke his vow and our alliance is at end. Ok so now we will go and cut some limbs of the same leveled foot soldier whom with I fought side-by-side in a war"

Probably done out of the sense of Pride for the house.

Not a very good analogy, but it reminds me of the same way that in 3rd world countries how the "rule of law" is family first and foremost. Any slight against your family by another and it was/is not uncommon to kill members of another family(maybe even all of them). Even if you are a distant cousin you are still a member of the family(or House).

I apologize but it was the first thing that came to mind. Remember, after word of Robb marrying Jeyne spread to Riverrun, every man from the Twins left. Yes, most were probably ordered too, but I bet plenty of non-Frey related soldiers felt insulted out of loyalty to their Lord.

Made me cry all over again. The show went by so quickly, but this shot captures the look on Sandor's face (which I didn't see as fully last night) as well as showing poor Arya just crumpled against his chest. I love the Hound. And I hurt, just hurt for Arya. What a powerful story, and tv presentation as well, to evoke such depth of emotions from us readers/audience. There've been a number of scenes during the life of the HBO series that were :ack: and :tantrum: but nothing like this. This is too seriously sad even for the 'bawling' emoticon.

It was unspeakable. Awful to think about when reading the book, so cruel and such a mental 'shudder', but nothing like seeing it vividly in front of my eyes last night. Or, of seeing the still shot of it (somebody posted the link at the start of this thread). For me, worse than the RW, worse that Grey Wind getting killed, I even think worse that seeing Ned be beheaded because so much more water is under the bridge now and the war has taken such an ungodly toll on so many, none more than Arya.

I agree with others that this was worse to me than the RW itself. My blood literally boiled with hate when I saw it. I wanted to kill. I will probably never watch that scene again. When I rewatched earlier today I skipped through it.

The thing about the Hound, yes, he's a killer, but he's no sociopath like Bron or his brother. He does have real empathy and acts on it. Man, Rory and Maisie were just killing it in the finale.

Yes. Rory is fantastic as the hound and Maisie IS ARYA.

Beforehand I felt robbwind should be left merely told. Such stuff easily becomes more funny than awful, and with the still I feared as much. The book's ambiguity on the matter just leaves an added vile taste.

In the end I'm positively surprised by how they handled it; the atmosphere around it tells the story more than robbwind himself, and exposing Arya to it was what made it a strong scene.

I really hope this'll be countered by the Nym/Cat scene. One being horror instilling fury, the other being grief, combining closure with being lost.

The thing about the Hound, yes, he's a killer, but he's no sociopath like Bron or his brother. He does have real empathy and acts on it. Man, Rory and Maisie were just killing it in the finale.

I wouldn't call Bron a sociopath. He's just really honest about who he is, and isn't out to harm innocent people for the fun of it or just because he can.

I agree with others that this was worse to me than the RW itself. My blood literally boiled with hate when I saw it. I wanted to kill. I will probably never watch that scene again. When I rewatched earlier today I skipped through it.

Yeah I'm not sure if I can stomach it again. I've seen it twice, once on a live stream and then later when I was able to download the episode, and I knew after last week's episode aired that the murders in the banquet hall wasn't that bad, in comparison to what was to come - the horrific slaughter outside the Twins and Robb's and Grey Wind's desecration. But when I first saw that scene I was really pissed and yelled "fucking Frey cunts!" and then was hoping for the LS as the last scene. But now we'll have to wait 10 months for some hanging Freys. :bang:

I wouldn't call Bron a sociopath. He's just really honest about who he is, and isn't out to harm innocent people for the fun of it or just because he can.

I don't think Bron would save Sansa from a gang rape or get Arya out of the Twins. He would murder a newborn at Tyrion's order if the price was right, by his own word. He's a different kind of monster than say a Ramsey, but he is a monster all the same. Hound tries to play that role at times but fails. We see his cracks. He does care, pity these poor Stark girls.

Bron didn't even care about his one 'friend' at the end of the day and left Tyrion out to dry.

I wanted to jump into the screen and kill them. There is no curse in elvish, entish or the tongues of men to describe this treachery.

:agree: :agree:

Poor Arya. Just....wow.

I was most affected by the Frey bannermen mocking Cat in her final moments. That really made my blood boil. I wanted to fling my wine glass across the room. I hated the way Cat and Robb had their dignity taken as well as their lives.

Archived