R+L=J v. 52

You could be right, but I don't know about that. He *has* Longclaw now, but there's not even a hint on where Dark Sister is, unless Rhaegar had it and it's also hidden in that very full tomb. But if he had it he would have taken it into battle, surely.

I wouldn't be sure of Bloodraven having been allowed to take it to the Wall with him, since they probably didn't imprison him together with his sword, or let him fetch it from his hiding spot if he hid it before he went to the cells.

Longclaw fits Jon nicely. Not just because it's a bastard sword, but the name itself: Ghost has claws, that eagle that scratched his face up had claws, dragons have them too... It's perfect. And personalised into a wolf.

I know the gift was very odd, but Maege did send it back to Mormont at the Wall. She didn't really send him a letter to ask him what to do with it (hinting at wanting to keep it), but from what we know she just sent it to him and that's that.

It's probably just a plot device to give him Valyrian Steel, but has he really done much with it yet that couldn't be done with a regular sword? If not, then it still needs to serve its purpose.

Ehhh I don't think it's a coincidence that GRRM has chosen to have both Blackfyre and Dark sister's locations be a mystery at this point. I mean come on do you honestly think the two most legendary Targ swords won't make an appearance at any point in the story? My guess is that the GC has Blackfyre and will give it to YG/Faegon and GRRM will counter that by giving Jon Dark Sister:

• I think most can agree that R+L=J is the most likely scenario in terms of who Jon's parents are so Jon wielding Dark Sister would go along perfect with that.
  • The last owner of Dark Sister was Bloodraven who concidentially enough happens to be a former LC of the NW.
  • No one has seen Dark Sister since Bloodraven was it's owner so it could very well be hidden somewhere at or close to the wall. Which happens to be Jon's current location.
  • We all know Bloodraven is the three-eyed crow and some highly suspect he is also Mormont's Raven, and if that is true then some of Bloodraven's actions as Moromont's raven specfically towards Jon seem to indicate that Bloodraven favors Jon and could very well know the truth about him. Thus meaning Bloodraven has also found a succesor to wield Dark Sister.
  • Given Bloodraven and now Bran's mastery of warging/greenseing I think it's certainly reasonable to say it's a possibilty that either Bloodraven or Bran will tell Jon about Dark Sister and where it is hidden.
  • Although I wouldn't have a problem in the slightest with Jon wielding Longclaw for the rest of his life and I do think it's an epic sword, I think the way the story is going it seems the sword that will be used against the Others will have more of a legendary reputation than Longclaw does. Plus Jon being the type of person that he is, I totally see it in his character to feel compelled to give Longclaw back to house Mormont at some point....
  • Dawn is currently in Starfall, based on what we know about the Blackfyre rebellion it's safe to say that Blackfyre is most likely being held by the Golden Company who will eventually give it to Aegon/Faegon, and given the info we know about Dark Sister and it's relationship to Bloodraven, and BR's relationship with the NW, to go along with Jon's current location being at the wall, I'd say that Dark Sister seems to be the most geographically logical and realistic choice for which legendary sword Jon will use/wield against the Others.

He'll always be that bastard, I think, no matter what title you wish to give him, or what name you will call him.

I was not talking about titles or names or him altering his relationship to/his opinion of Ned. It is commonly doubted that he will welcome his Targaryen descent and embrace it. So my only point was:

It would fit nicely if he accepted the Targaryen-part of him not by openly proclaiming it but simply by wielding the sword. If it seemed as if I was talking about something else, sorry about that ;)

Archived