Writing TWOIAF - a question for Linda and Elio

First off, I'm looking forward to reading this book when it lands next year, the previews look great. One thing I have wondered about concerning this project is exactly how the process of writing it has worked. Have you (Linda and Elio) been given outlines of the various points in history that were to be included and hen asked to build a narrative around them? Or, have you had some creative licence to come up with your own events/characters so long as they fit in with Martin's world? If so, did Martin have to sign off on all of this or was he fairly laid back in assuming that what you guys wrote would be in-keeping with his world?

Dumb question that prob gets asked a lot and not sure where to put it so I was here when it pooped in my head so here i ask it. Do Elio and Linda know how the books end? Not asking how it ends if they do know, i wouldn't want it spoiled, just curious? I'd guess they wouldn't want it spoiled anymore than i do.

HouseLark,

Besides material already in the novels, we have some pretty amazingly extensive background from GRRM, and we've used those things to produce the book. Everything passes by GRRM and he signs off on everything at the end. In some cases, he has rewritten our draft to include new details and to tweak things.

There are certain historical questions that are raised by the material and at times we have provided possible ways to resolve them, which GRRM then decides on whether he'll keep it or not. As an example, when it became apparent that the Tullys were originally a fairly minor house in origin, we decided some reason had to be given for their prominence by the time that Aegon defeats Harren the Black, explaining why they're the ones at the head of the rebel riverlords rather than, say, a more powerful Blackwood or Bracken. GRRM liked our solution to that, so that's in there.

Also, a number of new titles for scholarly tomes and such are things we made up along the way to fit in details GRRM provided, but again, George goes over everything, and can (and sometimes has) dropped/changed them as the whim takes him.

noSer,

That would be telling....

.... but no, we do not. As you say, we wouldn't want it spoiled.

HouseLark,

Besides material already in the novels, we have some pretty amazingly extensive background from GRRM, and we've used those things to produce the book. Everything passes by GRRM and he signs off on everything at the end. In some cases, he has rewritten our draft to include new details and to tweak things.

There are certain historical questions that are raised by the material and at times we have provided possible ways to resolve them, which GRRM then decides on whether he'll keep it or not. As an example, when it became apparent that the Tullys were originally a fairly minor house in origin, we decided some reason had to be given for their prominence by the time that Aegon defeats Harren the Black, explaining why they're the ones at the head of the rebel riverlords rather than, say, a more powerful Blackwood or Bracken. GRRM liked our solution to that, so that's in there.

Also, a number of new titles for scholarly tomes and such are things we made up along the way to fit in details GRRM provided, but again, George goes over everything, and can (and sometimes has) dropped/changed them as the whim takes him.

noSer,

That would be telling....

.... but no, we do not. As you say, we wouldn't want it spoiled.

It's awesome how everyone here is here as fans first. Ty for taking a moment to reply.

HouseLark,

Snip!

Cheers for the response. I imagine it has been quite a challenge to ensure a consistency of writing style throughout. Interesting little tidbit about the Tully's there as well. I tend to think of the great houses as having always been dominant players but it's good to be reminded that these things are more changeable than they sometimes appear. I've thought for some time that one of the effects of "current events" in Westeros will be an almost total upheaval of the great houses. Of all those currently in play the only house I would put a large amount of money on surviving as a major player is the Starks, perverse thought that may seem heading into Book Six.

Archived