Is Rickon a Warg too?

• 1 month later...

“In the yard below, Rickon ran with the wolves” (236)

All the Stark siblings are “wargs”, and in AGoT, Martin insinuates that those without POV narratives are also experiencing supernatural powers that link them with their direwolves. Readers need to attend to Bran’s POV’s in which he describes the “shared” behaviors of the Starks and their direwolves.

After Bran’s crippling fall, after Robb’s departure from Winterfell, and after Bran’s parents and sisters depart for Kings Lading, Rickon tightly bonds with his direwolf Shaggydog, and their undisciplined behavior mirrors one another. Without attentive parenting governing his day to day activities, Rickon withdraws more into himself and depends more on Shaggydog for companionship. In turn, Shaggydog is but a pup and needs a firm hand in training, but his four-year-old master seldom corrects Shaggy’s misbehavior; moreover, Shaggy does not have his pack mates to follow, but for Summer, the direwolf devoted to Bran. Clearly, Rickon is too young for the responsibility of training a pup, especially since he himself has not yet been tutored in comportment in a variety of social situations. As a result, Rickon and Shaggydog feed on the wild “wolfish” nature inbred in both of them. Without discipline and self-control, the collective fates of boy and wolf might be weighty with challenges unless Rickon learns to harness the warg within him that is eager for action.

In Bran’s POV, he describes Rickon as wild as a “winter’s storm” and he describes Shaggy as “wild as Rickon”, so Rickon and Shaggy mirror one another. With Shaggy at his side, Rickon visits the crypts at least twice, both times without illumination to guide him. Through Shaggy, Rickon appears to be without fear, and perhaps through Shaggy Rickon is able to see in the pitch black darkness of the crypts. Moreover, Rickon’s dream about Ned in the crypts is prophetic, and later in the series the OP will learn who is behind some of these visions; thus, the enigmatic dreams appear to be a part of the onset of the warging gifts.

From the Citadel: So Spake Martin

Are all the Stark children wargs/skin changers with their wolves?

To a greater or lesser degree, yes, but the amount of control varies widely.

OH MY GOD THISSPOILED DO MUCH FOR MEWHY DID I CLICK IT! :stunned: :bang:

I am at the end of A Game of Thrones, I watch the show too. But anyway I am at the end of this book and Rickon and Bran have the same dream of Ned being dead and in the crypts. So maybe Rickon is also a warg?

Here's a pretty full explanation. No plot spoilers outside of season/book one:

All Starks are wargs. Sansa is not simply because Lady died before their bond grew and developed. Rickon shared Bran's dream of Ned in the crypts, so he could have 1) seen it because of his own abilities (greensight) or 2) shared the green dream with Bran because all of the Stark wolves also share a bond, so Rickon saw it through Shaggydog, connected to Summer, connected to Bran.

Short answer: Yes, Rickon is a warg. We do not know the extent of his powers. But being so young and bonding with a direwolf (who was also his closest and best friend) is almost certainly part of what contributes to him being "wild" and gives him his wolfsblood.

I am at the end of A Game of Thrones, I watch the show too. But anyway I am at the end of this book and Rickon and Bran have the same dream of Ned being dead and in the crypts. So maybe Rickon is also a warg?

Very much so. I also thought his control of shaggydogg and how his personality reflected made it kind of half-evident (which is what Evyta mentions above).

• 3 weeks later...

In the books Arya and Jon can see through the eyes of the wolves just like Bran. There hasnt been any mention of Rikon though

Yes there is. There are some pretty obvious clues that he is one. He has same dream as Bran about seeing Ned. Whenever Rickon gets upset or annoyed his wolf starts acting the same way. This gets mentioned loads of times.

Although at this point it's not even a debate any longer as

Spoiler
GRRM himself has confirmed that they all are. I think Sansa will still discover her gifts as well. There is a reason everyone calls her "little bird". I think she will warg into actual birds and become the supreme Master of Whispers

• 2 weeks later...

At that point in the books, he is the strongest Warg of the Starks, He's wild alongside Shaggydog, and it isn't Shaggy that's attacking Osha in the crypts, Riccon says he's sorry, Me Thinks. The older siblings, like Ned, believed Wargs were fairytales, when Ned had the evidence before his eyes for years in Lyanna and his elder brother, they were "like they were born on horseback, to see them ride." (or something like that)

• 1 month later...

Archived