Meanwhile on the Iron Islands (book spoilers)

shimmy

What I found interesting is the sharp contrast between Balon and Tywin in this episode. Neither are nice men, but both have such utterly contrasting views of family. Balon thinks that family status is something you earn, Theon was a failure, so Theon's not family, and he won't do anything for him. Tywin thinks being family is who you are inherently, and this means that if an individual member is a failure, the entire family is a failure, thus he'll continue to put up with Tyrion.

Balon would've killed Tyrion in the cradle without a second thought, while Tywin would never have abandoned Theon the way Balon has.

Guys. Guys, listen to me.

What if....the theory about Asha being a man was true, and Ramsay knew about it? What if Ramsay sent her Theon's dick as a warning of her own possible castration? That explains why Asha reacted so strongly.

The showrunners know things about the books that we don't. So could this mean that Asha's gender is one of the two big spoilers yet to be revealed?

IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE.

Guys. Guys, listen to me.

What if....the theory about Asha being a man was true, and Ramsay knew about it? What if Ramsay sent her Theon's dick as a warning of her own possible castration? That explains why Asha reacted so strongly.

The showrunners know things about the books that we don't. So could this mean that Asha's gender is one of the two big spoilers yet to be revealed?

IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE.

go home, you're drunk

They could've at least shown Balons death. And I was really looking forward to the Asha scene. Saving her brother? Nobody knows if he's alive!

I guess what bothers me the most is that she just defied her father like it was nothing.

Yara going to save Theon was a big WTF moment for me. Obviously they're going to take their time with the kingsmoot because they can't just have it happen early next season with no follow-up. I was surprised to see that Balon was still alive.

But yeah, I have no idea what they intend to do with Yara's intended plan to save Theon. Maybe it's to put her back in the North, but why? We still need the Kingsmoot to happen for that.

It was a wtf moment for me too, not to mention horrible cheap drama out of place heroics that really made me cringe. You're going to march on the Dreadfort with 50 men? Yeah, good luck with that. They want to make her look heroic and a good girl just to make Stannis look like more of an ass when he defeats and captures her: he'll be ruining her 'good cause to save Theon' rather than liberating part of the North, since 'Yara' is even opposed to holding the North right now. Good job D and D, good job.

It was a wtf moment for me too, not to mention horrible cheap drama out of place heroics that really made me cringe. You're going to march on the Dreadfort with 50 men? Yeah, good luck with that. They want to make her look heroic and a good girl just to make Stannis look like more of an ass when he defeats and captures her: he'll be ruining her 'good cause to save Theon' rather than liberating part of the North, since 'Yara' is even opposed to holding the North right now. Good job D and D, good job.

I agree totally with the part in which you suggest Yara is going to be captured by Stannis. That would simplify a lot of the Iron Island storylines, cutting of at least 1 long mass scene from the show, costly and slow, like the Kingsmoot. Euron will get in, if he gets in, or even Balon will, without that part, just having all of the Balon's son captured or away. While one could be sorry for Stannis's propaganda needs, this would streamline the plot, cutting the kingsmoot and the Ironborn's apathy in the North following it, reducing the capture of Yara from a battle to a shoot of the same ship by 4 different angles to simulate a 3 ships to one rapid surrender.And Boom! we are at the end of Dance with that story line in less than 10 minutes of show time!

Yara will get to the Dreadfort, and we'll get 10 more scenes of Ramsay torturing her and blowing a trumpet.

This would be a fitting conclusion for the way they handled that last scene. It was a very nice surprise, showing us a scene from Pyke with old Balon Greyjoy (the actor playing him has pure class). It was in the trailers alright, but with nothing happening the entire season, I guess I wasn't the only one who had given up on that storyline. There was news - perhaps on this very site - of casting an actor for the part of Victarion, but I guess this will remain in the next season, too.

Nevertheless, the way they dealt with the story, making the brave daughter defy her petty lord father, who only cares about his "seized lands" and not being at least a little bit angry, was quite abhorrent. Balon should have been angry, if not for Theon being mutilated, then for this would-be-thrall disrespecting him as a king, and should have at least intended to bring some vengeance to those responsible. Somewhat along the lines of Tywin waging war over the kidnapping of a son which he himself intended to drown. Instead, the markedly bad actress playing Yara, gets all the credit. I understand that this is required for plot reasons, character development in light of their filler scenes next season and what not, but this was some bad plot development. It may be continuing Balon's arc from last season where he is depicted as a stupid and petty coward, but back then, he had at least a shred of his twisted honour. Now, he is reduced to a petty old fool - even more so than in the books.

I agree totally with the part in which you suggest Yara is going to be captured by Stannis. That would simplify a lot of the Iron Island storylines, cutting of at least 1 long mass scene from the show, costly and slow, like the Kingsmoot. Euron will get in, if he gets in, or even Balon will, without that part, just having all of the Balon's son captured or away. While one could be sorry for Stannis's propaganda needs, this would streamline the plot, cutting the kingsmoot and the Ironborn's apathy in the North following it, reducing the capture of Yara from a battle to a shoot of the same ship by 4 different angles to simulate a 3 ships to one rapid surrender.And Boom! we are at the end of Dance with that story line in less than 10 minutes of show time!

Another possibility just dawned on me, Yara is going to take the castle, Ramsay and Theon will simply not be there anymore, maybe Ramsay will leave some skin hanging in the dungeon to mock her or something. So Yara takes the castle, which can then serve as her location for when Stannis comes to kick her out.

Even in the show it would be difficult to believe Stannis could sail to the North faster than Yara could reach the North, plus Stannis' presence in the North should only be revealed when he attacks the Wildlings. Of course if they don't reveal him, and just a shot of the ships, it could serve as nice foreshadowing buuuut...

At any rate, Stannis is going to look like the wrongdoer for capturing a white-washed, noble Yara (because here she is being noble)... again. Maybe she'll just turn her sails when Balon dies though and this will show her to put a chance at personal power above saving her brother and restore her character to what it is and is meant to be, we can only hope.

Another possibility just dawned on me, Yara is going to take the castle, Ramsay and Theon will simply not be there anymore, maybe Ramsay will leave some skin hanging in the dungeon to mock her or something. So Yara takes the castle, which can then serve as her location for when Stannis comes to kick her out.

Even in the show it would be difficult to believe Stannis could sail to the North faster than Yara could reach the North, plus Stannis' presence in the North should only be revealed when he attacks the Wildlings. Of course if they don't reveal him, and just a shot of the ships, it could serve as nice foreshadowing buuuut...

At any rate, Stannis is going to look like the wrongdoer for capturing a white-washed, noble Yara (because here she is being noble)... again. Maybe she'll just turn her sails when Balon dies though and this will show her to put a chance at personal power above saving her brother and restore her character to what it is and is meant to be, we can only hope.

I think that's a good possibility, but unless she is at the kingsmoot it kind of ruins the whole reason why Theon has to be alive, to nullify the result of the kignsmoot. Though I'd like to see them explain how Yara gets the news of Balon's death if she already left with the fastest ship in Iron Islands... Of course they could throw some lame excuse about her being a woman, which in the books didn't prevent her from taking part.

How far do they fill us in on the Greyjoy portion of the saga tonight. I am assuming that Balon is dead (giving a huge nod to the fact that Joffrey is in trouble thanks to the leeches) and that they will bring up the kingsmoot and at least mention Crow's Eye. Any chance we get more than that?

I can see her setting out for the Dreadfort , but never getting there when she learns of Balon's death, she has to turn back.

I wouldnt be surprised if they put one of the greyjoy brothers on the boat with Yara next season. Euron or Victarion make the most sense. I know itd be a departure from the books, but itd be a good way to introduce one of them before Balons death kickstarts the kingsmoot story line, and it would render the Yara v Ramsay storyline to be more than just filler.

Yeah, I'd agree with this. Stannis can't be changed at this point, he's done. I guess he'll capture Yara and be all villainous and mwahaha I'm going to sacrifice you to the Red God or whatever and then Mel will be like no the the Red God has a plan and what's this shit I can't take it anymore. The best I'm hoping for is an awesome ship battle. If you're going to screw Stannis character, give us some CGI and fight scenes dammnit.

Archived