[Book Spoilers] EP310 Discussion

Ran

I expected UnCat to be this episode and I know there is a lot of hand-wringing here about it not being in the episode but you can't say that they aren't sticking to the chronology of ASoS with this. UnCat doesn't appear until the very end of the book.

We don't read anything about Theon until aFfC, when he already is Reek... so I don't see why they could not show LS at the end. Would've been a better ending than the mhysa thing

Edited by GaMartell

As much as I love Dany (and apparently D&D have a major crush on her LOL), did anyone else find it a little uncomfortable to see a lily white girl literally be foisted up and cheered by a sea of brown people? The Great White Hope saving all the unfortunate brown slaves. Cheese-fest all the way.

Ugh, yes. It did make me uncomfortable to watch. Like, ick, squirmy. I was picturing Slate articles in my FB feed about it.

I had a moment of hope where I thought the pull-out shot was going to fade to unCat's eye waking up. Nope.

I think Cat has to stay dead for more "time" so her coming back as undead gets more impact.

If she died onde episod than was brought back right in the next one, IMO it would loose all the effect

Agree - I had no expectation that they would bring her back this episode. In fact, I think it should happen just as it does in the book. Bring her back in the very last scene of the very last episode next season. That will leave jaws dropping. I can see them playing it up during next season, dropping hints of a "Lady Stoneheart", maybe even showing a cloaked woman with Thoros, with some commentary that Beric finally died for good and the Brotherhood had a new leader. Probably give Arya a bad dream or two, as she sees through Nymeria's eyes. I'm guessing one of Walder's sons (maybe Merrett, maybe someone else) will become a more major character through next season...and then in the final episode the Brotherhood will catch him, hang him - and the reveal will be "Lady Stoneheart" pulling back her hood....cut to the credits...

Then again, there seems to be a theme on ending the season with a Danaerys scene....

I promised briantw an apology about this, and here it is:

You, briantw, were absolutely right and I was 100.0% wrong about the Purple Wedding not being in Season 3. You were on the money about the Purple Wedding not being in Season 3, and I foolishly disagreed with you. The error was mine, and I apologize.

I promised briantw an apology about this, and here it is:

You, briantw, were absolutely right and I was 100.0% wrong about the Purple Wedding not being in Season 3. You were on the money about the Purple Wedding not being in Season 3, and I foolishly disagreed with you. The error was mine, and I apologize.

yeah speaking of that, didn't a bunch of people lose some bets tonight? lol

not to mention, the title "Mhysa" is kind of trolling....since almost every episode name has a double/triple/quadruple meaning, I really thought LS would fit in very well here.

IKR? I really thought it was going to be there. After that whole mhysa thing (which was beautiful in the books, but looked so WRONG on tv) I thought for sure we'd get it. Maybe even after the credits. WHY WOULD THEY NAME AN EPISODE 'MOTHER' AND NOT HAVE LS THEREEEE

Why exactly do people think Stannis was ruined?

I guess people are saying that because he ordered Davos to be killed?

But really, I actually thought he showed more compassion and kingliness in this episode when he passionately spoke of the other "kings" making his realm bleed, and how he won't forget or forgive that.

Well, I haven't watched the episode yet, but I'm devastated to hear no UnCat, Such a perfect opportunity lost, and the Dany scene sounds terribly lame.

Lady Stoneheart's resurrection makes for such a powerful image, it really is too bad. I'm afraid if they leave it to end season 4, too much time will have passed between LS/RW, and it will have lost its impact on viewers. Might be an interesting way to open season 4, though.

I really wanted to see Coldhands, but I feel they will bring him in next season. I guess it makes better sense from a casting view point to start him next season. I also wanted to see Lady Stoneheart this season. Now I am not sure if they will include her or not. Again, I would think that from a casting view point it would be better to end Beric D this season instead of extending this role to next season for just one episode. Also, Yara is confusing. I guess the Queensmoot is out??? They can still have a Kingsmoot though. A good episode, but I expect more from a finale.

I liked:

- the red wedding scenes

- the 'Arya killing Freys' scene

- the Ramsay reveal

but overall it was pretty meh:

- Sansa was, again, written strangely... it's interesting that they seem incapable of showing people giving her bad news (they can only show her crying afterwards).

- I don't see the point of the Varys-Shae scene... I'm not sure I care that much.

- The Dany scene was pretty corny

- I thought we should have seen Brienne reacting to the RW

IKR? I really thought it was going to be there. After that whole mhysa thing (which was beautiful in the books, but looked so WRONG on tv) I thought for sure we'd get it. Maybe even after the credits. WHY WOULD THEY NAME AN EPISODE 'MOTHER' AND NOT HAVE LS THEREEEE

Cause they are not going to have her in the series, just like they are not going to have Coldhands either. At all.

On the good side, this episode had some of the best ACTING work of the entire season. The ensemble stuff – Tywin/Tyrion, Frey/Bolton, Bran’s crew with Sam – were all great, and Maisie Williams, Liam Cunningham and Conleth Hill al hit home runs. Even Kit Harrington managed something resembling emotion in his dialogue with the ferocious Rose Leslie. With the exception of the Jaime/Cersei scene (and the end), the scenes generally felt complete and sumptuous – that sunset on Dragonstone was eye-popping, and both beautiful and deeply creepy at the same time. But UGH -- that closing Dany sequence simply did not end up where it was trying to go, and it really hurt. If this were a mid-season episode 5 or 6, we'd all be raving. As a finale . . . I'm a bit disappointed, and it makes me feel bad.

I bet LadyStonehart will raise first episode next season... just when al the non readers had already accepted her death.

And I bet we will see Lord Greyjoy falling from the bridge...

Probably the purple wedding will happen by the end of the season....

What happened to Blackfish?

Why no Tyrells?

Where was Tormund?

Where's Cats body?

1. Roose and Walder specifically mentioned that he escaped.

2. Why were they needed? They weren't at the scene in the Tyrion chapter when they learn of the RW. Mace isn't needed until next season when he and the Martell's are introduced. I suspect he's going to be the one the Red Viper crippled.

3. Yeah, dunno. It did seem odd that she was able to find Jon away from the others. There are thing I understand that the writers do for thematic purposes but this one defies common sense.

4. My guess is that it's found early in season 4. I think it's better to save it as the end of the season shocker. I suspect that Arya will wolfdream of the BwB finding it and seeing the Lightning Lord giving the last rites but Arya will wake up or Nymeria will be spooked. Then all season we will hear of Frey's ending up dead and the final scene will be the Stoneheart reveal.

Edited by Trebla