[Book Spoilers] EP310 Discussion

Ran

My stream was pretty bad and I missed a few scenes that I watch later with more time, but there wasn't a scene of Gendry in a boat ready to leave with Davos? I remember that scene was "leaked" in one of the promo shoots.

There's one scene were Davos meets Gendry and tells him he's lowborn just like Gendry is. Then after Stannis gives the order to kill gendry(which i didn't mind as much) he goes and rescues Gendry and sends him back to Kings Landing. then we get the scene where Stannis finds out about the wall.

Gendry asking Davos if his son's life was better now was even more soul-crushing than Robbwind for me, personally. Liam Cunningham has taken a likable character and made him into one of the most realistic and genuine characters in the show. Davos feels like a real, living, breathing person, and hats off to Liam for that.

There's one scene were Davos meets Gendry and tells him he's lowborn just like Gendry is. Then after Stannis gives the order to kill gendry(which i didn't mind as much) he goes and rescues Gendry and sends him back to Kings Landing. then we get the scene where Stannis finds out about the wall.

Thank you.

***Master Forel's Fro

8 minutes ago

Arya's first kill, I can't look at her without wanting to cry.***

Second kill. It was her first "man". She stabbed a boy in season 1.

Apologies. I'm trying to post from my iPad. :P

Edited by Moët

It's funny how blatantly problematic some of the book elements are when they play out on screen, namely the "mob of grateful brown people worship the nice white lady who saved them." On the page, it's one thing, but on the show, it's a whole other level of racist overtones. Of course, in ADWD, I think GRRM tries to subvert the racist myth of the white liberator saving the helpless, oppressed brown people from themselves, by showing how Dany has created more problems than she's solved in sweeping in to destroy the foundation of the local economy without any sort of long-term plan to stabilize things and free a ton of slaves without giving adequate thought to their long-term care, but that's a long way off, and the image we leave the show on for Season 3 is a scene with an adoring crowd of brown people all but falling at the feet of their white, blonde messiah.

Or...it could just be that because the scenes were shot in Morocco, it's probably easier to get Moroccans for extras, who are coincidentally brown. As soon as I saw the scene, I knew that people would complain about racism and colonialism. I don't think it was the intention at all. It's the same thing as the show using a George W Bush head on a spike in season 1.

Edited by Pinkie Baelish

I was thoroughly disgusted with the Grey Wind and Rob scene, as I was in the books. It was perfect. It made me sick to my stomach and made me want to cry, which is what I felt in the books.

Joffrey needs to be killed already. I can't wait for the next season. When he kicks the bucket in the books, I was like, hell yes!

Tywin is pretty bad ass. He isn't one of my favorite characters, but he knows how to get things done, unlike the rest of the Lannisters.

Hodor is adorable and makes me laugh at how innocent and sweet he is. He is such a sweet giant man and I just love him in the books and movies.

Bran's story of the rat man was a little creepy, not going to lie. I love how Sam and Gilly showed up, just as I pictured it while reading the books. It's just a shame that Bran missed Jon. I kept hoping they would see each other, even though I knew that wouldn't happen. But at least they got to see Sam and Gilly.

I wish there would've been more Sansa. Her reaction to finding out what happened to her brother and mother was underwhelming, but I don't think she had a huge reaction in the books either. I love Sansa's character. She's one of my favorites.

Tyrion is great, as he is in every episode and book. He is such a great character and the best Lannister, in my opinion. I wish he and Sansa could've had a friendship at least, but it's a shame what happens to them later on.

Roose just pisses me off. I was so angry that he betrayed the Starks like that. But I have to say, the scene between him and Walder Frey was quite interesting.

Poor Theon. The torture scenes make me sick, but I suppose they are necessary. I just wish they wouldn't have been shown as much this season. It wasn't completely necessary to show it almost every episode. But now we understand how Theon came to be Reek. I feel bad for Theon, but at the same time, he did betray the Starks and deserved to be punished for it. But not tortured.

Asha was great. I loved how she stood up for her brother. I love how her character is treated with such respect, even though she is a woman. It shows that there are strong women in this show, even if it's subtle. WIth Asha, however, it's not so subtle.

I love that Davos set Gendry free. You could tell that he really liked the boy. I'm not a fan of Stannis, especially after he killed his own brother. But killing an innocent boy as a sacrficie is pretty awful too. I wish he'd listen to Davos more, who seems to have a lot more sense than the wannabe king.

I think the Ceresi and Jaime scene should have been a little more dramatic. It didn't seem like Ceresi was incredibly happy to see him - like he was damaged goods almost, because of his hand. I was expecting her to jump up and run into his arms, but that didn't happen. There whole relationship changes and that in itself was an interesting read.

Also, I love Brienne even though she didn't get much screen time this episode. But her reactions are just great. And you can tell that there is a deep bond between her and Jaime. Love their chemistry.

Not a huge fan of Shae, especially with what she does to Tyrion in the future. I do feel like the whole scene with Varys was a bit pointless and drawn out. But I guess they need to show non-readers that Shae did, in fact, love Tyrion.

Arya was so badass. She's one of my favorite characters. The Stark girls are just strong in general and I love reading and watching their characters, even though they are vastly different. I also like how the Hound has been so protective of Arya.

I knew Jon was going to be shot by Ygritte, but it was still surprising. I was expecting it in the last episode, so to have it happen in this episode was a bit of a shock. Still, I'm glad that he made it back to the Wall.

I love Dany. She is my favorite character in the entire series. She is so strong and just very interesting. I thought the scene with the slaves was a bit underwhelming. The crowd surfacing especially. I love how they all called her mother though, that really made me tear up. I absolutely love Dany though, so she can do no wrong really in my eyes!

Sorry this was so long. I just wanted to write what I thought. :)

It's funny how blatantly problematic some of the book elements are when they play out on screen, namely the "mob of grateful brown people worship the nice white lady who saved them." On the page, it's one thing, but on the show, it's a whole other level of racist overtones. Of course, in ADWD, I think GRRM tries to subvert the racist myth of the white liberator saving the helpless, oppressed brown people from themselves, by showing how Dany has created more problems than she's solved in sweeping in to destroy the foundation of the local economy without any sort of long-term plan to stabilize things and free a ton of slaves without giving adequate thought to their long-term care, but that's a long way off, and the image we leave the show on for Season 3 is a scene with an adoring crowd of brown people all but falling at the feet of their white, blonde messiah.

Did anyone catch this (non-book) line from Sansa, about Arya?

"My sister used to do that when she was angry with me. And she was always angry with me."

Bawwwwwwww babies!

Except Slaver's Bay are not brown people in the books. It's only that way in the show because the shot it in Morocco and most of the locals they use for the extra have brown complexion.

First of all, I wish everyone would cool it over the non-appearance of Lady Stoneheart in this episode. That happens at the END of "Storm of Swords," and we haven't got even close to that yet. It would have been too soon anyway - barely enough time has passed for her body to have floated down the river.

And yeah, the final 'crowd serfing*' scene with Dany at the end was atrocious. It reminded me of one of those over-the-top dance numbers from a post war Hollywood musical. (* - see what I did there?) ;)

But - and I haven't read all the comments yet - am I the first one to mention the BIG REVEAL at the wall? It's HUGE!!!

Jojen tells Sam right out, "The Black Watch can't stop the White Walkers. All the armies of men can't stop them," and it is HEAVILY implied that it will be BRAN to conquer the Others.

Now the question is, is this something that is in sync with D & D's 'special knowledge' of the books' outcome, or is it yet another point where the two media stories diverge?

??? (I wonder, myself)

You're looking in the right direction. I think a lot of folks forget that D & D have this knowledge and have it for a reason. Now, it can lead you astray, but it can also lead to more...

Edited by Jon Black

Well, makes sense, seems to have been a very impromptu thing on the show, while the battle was still going on. Wouldn't have time to sew it on.

Yeah, not very practically considering that someone would have to actually go find needle+thread and the process would require just a bit more soberity. Those men were drunk and high on bloodlust so mounting the head on spikes would be a lot easier.

The best part of that episode for me was seeing Maester Aemon back, god I love that old dragon! On a sadder note, I wasn't really feeling Dany's Jesus Christ mixed in with a little Jim Morrison crowd surfing moment at all, and I hate how the show has white-washed the living shit out of Cersie's character! Other than that, I think it was an overall pretty good episode for the finale.

Edited by Jon Icefyre

Or...it could just be that because the scenes were shot in Morocco, it's probably easier to get Moroccans for extras, who are coincidentally brown. As soon as I saw the scene, I knew that people would complain about racism and colonialism. I don't think it was the intention at all. It's the same thing as the show using a George W Bush head on a spike in season 1.

It is unreasonable that some of us would be uncomfortable with that image? It wouldn't have been so bad if:

1. They had spent more time (at least one scene or two) describing the mechanics of slavery in the World of Ice and Fire. Isn't that what Mr. Exposition Jorah Mormont is there for?

2. They hadn't purposely cast white people in the role of the Slave Owners in Astapor. This unfortunately suggests this is less like a Roman style slavery system (anyone who is conquered is property and becomes a slave) vs. a race based slavery system.

and a 3rd suggestion... the original casting call notes for Daario specifically requested non white actors (counter to the books, but a good choice for diversity), but unfortunately they either couldn't find an actor they liked or just decided to go with a 'white' guy. Of the 3 recurring characters introduced in Danny's story-line this year, it was only the white guy who actually got any real character development. The two people of color are currently just one dimensional sidekicks.

It doesn't really matter that much. There aren't any major plot points related to Jaime not being in KL for the PW

Maybe it doesn't matter for you. Don't speak in others name.

Just caught a comment a few pages back regarding "Why the Shae/Varys scene?"

It's setting up her break/betrayal of Tyrion. She thinks Tyrion sent Varys with the diamonds, not that he could possibly be that rich or come of his own free will.

***Master Forel's Fro

8 minutes ago

Arya's first kill, I can't look at her without wanting to cry.***

Second kill. It was her first "man". She stabbed a boy in season 1.

Apologies. I'm trying to post from my iPad. :P

I remember but this time it was intentional and they used the trick she used at harrenhall dropping the coin.

BtW I'm on my iPad too don't you have the Lil quote and edit buttons on the bottom of each post?

Edited by Master Forel's Fro