[Book Spoilers] EP310 Discussion

Ran

I don't know why there are so many negative reactions. Sure, it did have issues, but it in the end, it leaves the story where it's supposed to.

I LOVED:

-Bran's storyline feels good at last

-Arya&the Hound

-Peter Dinklage

-NCW he was only in one scene, and that was a bad scene, but the man is PERFECT

-Joffrey grinning. Perfect

-Charles Dance. He literally "threatened to laugh". What an actor

-Melissandre realizing where the true battle lies felt right, Davos is great. Carice van Hooten and Liam Cunnigham are great. I also liked the Shireen scene

-After many problems and deviations, everything in the Wall is in place for the wildling attack

-Ramsay looked crazy

-The music was beautiful

-Tywin/Tyrion conversation about who gets the blame

-Roosy and Walder Frey chatting, just after Bran talks about hospitality and what happens to those who break the rules of it.

And the issues:

-This just came to my mind, but Jaime and Brienne just walked into KL, the two of em and Qyburn? and Brienne... what? she'll be roaming free??

-Jon/Ygritte just not credible

-Dany being da cool savor. Bring in the madness people, she ain't perfect. It bothers me that so many non readers are so in love with her.

Edited by Maria Underfoot

And the issues:

-This just came to my mind, but Jaime and Brienne just walked into KL, the two of em and Qyburn? and Brienne... what? she'll be roaming free??

As far as this goes, I'm pretty sure Loras has stated that he genuinely believes Brienne didn't murder Renly in the show. He was the reason she was arrested in the books, right? Maybe they're paving the way for her to be free to do more next season, like be Jaime's sparring partner in place of Ilyn Payne as some have speculated. (I actually think that would be really neat.)

Edited by Hunt

As far as this goes, I'm pretty sure Loras has stated that he genuinely believes Brienne didn't murder Renly in the show. He was the reason she was arrested in the books, right? Maybe they're paving the way for her to be free to do more next season, like be Jaime's sparring partner in place of Ilyn Payne as some have speculated. (I actually think that would be really neat.)

I agree. I was wondering who would replace Payne in the task.

I am as far from a 'shipper' as any fan, but I really do like Jaime and Brienne together. She isn't pretty on the outside, but she outshines Cersei like a sun to a match on the inside.

There was no laughter, only smiling, which was a natural reaction to being hailed by tens of thousands of slaves as a liberator. I don't think the scene hinted at anything negative about Dany at all. D&D wrote her dialogue to be about as humble as possible for that situation. They just don't view her through the dark prism that so many here want them to. Here are their comments from HBO's "Inside the Episode":

David Benioff: "You see her get her army in episode four, and here in the finale you see her get her people, really, because she's got -- she has her Dothraki followers, who don't number very many, and she's got the people she's freed from the other cities, but now at last she's -- it's not just, it's something even more, something almost even more religious about it than being just a queen. I mean, she's the mother of these people.

D.B. Weiss: "It creates a whole new dynamic between her and the people that she's fighting for, that she's going to have to deal with in the future."

David Benioff: "The way they treat her, the way they lift her up, she is something that has -- it's a revelation from a prophecy and that glorious destiny is coming true."

D.B. Weiss: "Here it seemed like it was really important to let us know just how many people were counting on her, to see the full extent, or mostly the full extent, of her army and the tens of thousands of people who've flooded out of these gates to pay tribute to her. And then keeping the dragons in play, because they're always such an important part of her identity, and we just wanted to tie all of that together in one great shot."

ser Jorah did look somewhat apprehensive. Not sure if that mean that he was in awe, or worried about Dany.

As for the D&D interview, are they forgetting that these people will be turning on her soon? Nothing wrong with the scene, it is big in the books as well, but all this talk about the free-slaves being "part of her identity" is too much IMO

Edited by Maria Underfoot

Guys why all the complaining? Yes I wanted to see SH as much as the rest of you but Dany at the end really gives the non-book readers hope that one of their favourite characters are owning the game at the moment.

The scene between Cersei and Tyrion is a set up for how much she will suffer when Joff is dead, "Let them know what it feels" as Cat said.

I'm guessing Balon will die and Asha will make a detour for the kingsmoote? and as for Coldhands lets just hope he appears in Season 4, he wasn't entierely nessesary for Sam & Gilly.

All in all a fantastic season and I hate to wait another year to see a few Martells, more Ramsay, Joffs death and the big Littlefinger twist!

I think Jorah is looking nervous because Dany is walking, unarmed, into a HUGE crowd of people that could literally riot and rip her apart at any moment. Since in the show she didn't see the vision regarding the slaves in the House of the Undying, it's a huge deal for her to trust them and be completely, utterly vulnerable like that.

I mean feel free to quote this a few years from now if we get Mad Queen Dany and say "haha Hunt gosh you sure are a dumb idiot face" but that's what I'm going with.

I think Jorah is looking nervous because Dany is walking, unarmed, into a HUGE crowd of people that could literally riot and rip her apart at any moment. Since in the show she didn't see the vision regarding the slaves in the House of the Undying, it's a huge deal for her to trust them and be completely, utterly vulnerable like that.

Agreed. They should never have let her go into that crowd. It would have been very easy for an assassin to kill her there.

That was pretty bad. The first Sansa scene was atrocious, Stannis has been turned into a one-dimensional Mel puppet, some of Davos's lines were really bad, Kit Harrington's acting was terrible even by his own standards. No real reunion scene between Jaime and Cersei. The last scene was terrible in every aspect.

But the worst was Shae literally throwing away a fortune so she could stay near the super awesome perfect man Tyrion and risk her life every day. WTF?

Edited by David Selig

I am really glad they didn't include PW nor LS. Shae scene was strange, how are they going to explain her betrayal? Jamie's premature return probably means we won't get angry sex scene with Cersei, shame... I wish they included Coldhands, a scene with him would be much better than what we got for a final scene. Overall I think the episode was really good in itself, but bad as a season finale.

That was pretty bad. The first Sansa scene was atrocious,

Agreed. Sansa joking with Tyrion was just SO wrong.

Stannis has been turned into a one-dimensional Mel puppet, some of Davos's lines were really bad, Kit Harrington's acting was terrible even by his own standards. No real reunion scene between Jaime and Cersei.

I guess THAT is the cliff-hanger? How she reacts? Pretty weak, if so.

But the worst was Shae literally throwing away a fortune so she could stay near the super awesome perfect man Tyrion and risk her life every day. WTF?

Tywin's promised her more? (not a spoiler, just a speculation).