[Book Spoilers] EP310 Discussion

Ran

Watched the episode a few hours ago. You know things are done not so well when the last episode is the worst of the season.... and what the hell is going on with the Iron Islanders (though I am GLAD that they finally showed up, after only one mention in this season that they still exist, even if it was just some leech burnin). I did like the Arya scene though.

I would have replaced the Shae scene with an Edmure one, but whatever.

I would have replaced the Shae scene with ANY scene... It just does not make any sense!

She is a prostitute, he is married, and is a high lord, she would never have the chance to be his wife, she makes very clear that she is unhappy with the situation, she is risking her life everyday, and that much in diamonds were like a giant fortune... Why in the WORLD would`t she take it?

I believe they are showing this, just to create a drama around her treason... but seriously, there are much more interesting characters that should be given that space in the episode...

I would have replaced the Shae scene with ANY scene... It just does not make any sense!

She is a prostitute, he is married, and is a high lord, she would never have the chance to be his wife, she makes very clear that she is unhappy with the situation, she is risking her life everyday, and that much in diamonds were like a giant fortune... Why in the WORLD would`t she take it?

Because Tyrion is so awesome just being near him and risking her life every day is better for Shae than living a rich life elsewhere, duh...

The fanboyism of the showrunners for Tyrion has reached really embarrassing levels.

Because Tyrion is so awesome just being near him and risking her life every day is better for Shae than living a rich life elsewhere, duh...

He's probably the first man who ever treated her like a human being.

The fanboyism of the showrunners for Tyrion has reached really embarrassing levels.

Fanboyism is always embarrassing.

All things considered, next season really is shaping up to be a blood bath. We might have had two major deaths this year but consider that Season Four will have

1) The death of Ygritte at the Battle of the Wall,

2) The epic poisoning of Joffrey during his wedding feast,

3) The dramatic showdown between Oberyn Martell and The Mountain that results in the death of the former and the half-death of the latter,

4) The strangling of Shae by Tyrion

5) Tyrion shooting a quiver through his lord father's bowels.

That's five major deaths in one season. Definitely shaping up to be the most dramatic season yet. I'm already having GoT withdrawals and it hasn't even been 24 hrs since the finale....

I believe they are showing this, just to create a drama around her treason... but seriously, there are much more interesting characters that should be given that space in the episode...

It's because Tyrion is a sex god. Who do you think taught Pod?

Or, Shae is actually Arianne Martell in disguise or one of the Sand Snakes and they can introduce the Dorne situation more easily.

Or, Shae is actually Arianne Martell in disguise or one of the Sand Snakes and they can introduce the Dorne situation more easily.

well.... that would be very disturbing and confusing.. even for the novels....

Did D&D forget that, as Slaver's Bay receives its slaves from all over the world, its slaves are not all non-white? That scene was embarassing to watch, and it was one of my absolute favourites in the book.

In the books, Dany freed slaves. In the show, she's freed the only non-white people on the show. :bs:

For all the talk of how cruel and bold GRRM is, he hasn't seriously harmed any of the important children. Bran is paralyzed, but he has Hodor to carry him and he can warg into the wolves. A pretty good trade off.

Depends on how you define important.

Two children kings are dead.

Jon's been maimed by an eagle and shot.

Tommen and Myrcella watch their brother die.

The Stark children have either watched their fathers head get cut off, hear that their siblings have been killed or hear that their mother has been murdered. I'd consider those harmed.

And just as a point - Bran and his siblings could warg into wolves before he fell, so that isn't really much of a tradeoff.

All things considered, next season really is shaping up to be a blood bath. We might have had two major deaths this year but consider that Season Four will have

1) The death of Ygritte at the Battle of the Wall,

2) The epic poisoning of Joffrey during his wedding feast,

3) The dramatic showdown between Oberyn Martell and The Mountain that results in the death of the former and the half-death of the latter,

4) The strangling of Shae by Tyrion

5) Tyrion shooting a quiver through his lord father's bowels.

That's five major deaths in one season. Definitely shaping up to be the most dramatic season yet. I'm already having GoT withdrawals and it hasn't even been 24 hrs since the finale....

Season 4 is so gonna own any season of any show ever if they don't fu*k something up...

Did D&D forget that, as Slaver's Bay receives its slaves from all over the world, its slaves are not all non-white? That scene was embarassing to watch, and it was one of my absolute favourites in the book.

In the books, Dany freed slaves. In the show, she's freed the only non-white people on the show. :bs:

In my mind's eye I always pictured the slaves of Essos to be a pretty mixed bag. More in line with the Roman form of slavery where conquered/captured people of all the different corners of the world were bought and sold. The way it was framed last night it would seem like Essos was like 18th century America and that's just not right. They should have had all different people. White slaves from the Free Cities, Asiatic slaves from Yi-Ti, black slaves from the Summer Islands. They already established that there is such a thing as white slavery with Melisandre's past so why not reflect that in this scene?

Depends on how you define important.

Two children kings are dead.

THAT depends on how you define children.

Jon's been maimed by an eagle and shot.

Also not a child.

Tommen and Myrcella watch their brother die.

The Stark children have either watched their fathers head get cut off, hear that their siblings have been killed or hear that their mother has been murdered. I'd consider those harmed.

In this world, not in that world. Worse things happen all the time.

And just as a point - Bran and his siblings could warg into wolves before he fell, so that isn't really much of a tradeoff.

I might be mistaken, but I thought all Bran could do is see from Summer's eyes when he was sleeping.

In any case, being able to control wolves, perhaps people, and maybe dragons (because that is where it is leading) is a LOT of power.

The Shae scene was easily the worst of the episode.

Varys would never offer Shae a small fortune to leave. If Varys wants somebody out of the picture, he has them killed. Definitely a wasted 5 minutes and another forced attempt at this pathetic romantic plot with Tyrion.