[Book Spoilers] EP310 Discussion

Ran

Overall, I liked the episode. I really think is too early to bring LS into picture. Besides, you need to save some powerful stuff for season 4 (AFFC does not have too many awesome moments).

As someone already mentioned, Theon-Ramsay's scenes are just lame. What is the point? I know there was a discussion about Theon being castrated or not in the books before the show, but do you really need to confirm it 3 times on screen????

I am scared about the introduction of Dorne and the Ironborn next season (Victarion, Euron, if they ever show up...) My Unsullied friends already think there are too many characters and names, so they might get lost! I know it happened to most of us reading the books, but this is TV, I am curious how they will handle it.

It prob has been mentioned but many viewers think Stannis is p***whipped since he decided to sacrifice Gendry after one death.I too think it was wrong to make him ask for the sacrifice after one death. It's like Davos said, it's a war, kings die. They should have waited at least for Balon's death. I guess they wanted to end the series with some closure and new direction for the Stannis storyline.

except, Ygritte doesn't have a horse. She just shows up. Teleport?

She runs as fast as a horse, apparently. Or maybe she has a car like Melisandre, who travels across Westeros much faster than other characters.

As the previous poster mentioned, she probably took a horse from the old guy. And if she is sneaking up on Jon, she would have parked her horse out of the way and proceeded on foot. This is a silly complaint.

In S3 x 01, Tywin made it a specific point to say, "Oh, and one more thing. The next whore I catch in your bed I'll hang." This led to a subsequent scene with Tyrion and Shae in the very next episode where he warns her that, "...my father isn't the type to make hollow threats. You're in danger."

D&D lack subtlety with these sorts of things. Threats on a person's life generally come to fruition.

We can reasonably conclude that any chance for sincere love and affection -- that had begun to show traces of materializing -- between show Sansa and Tyrion this past episode was effectively squashed when Sansa learned of the RW. She was reminded that the Lannisters are her enemies, and the damage is irreparable. Realizing that his marriage is a lost cause, and admittedly unwilling to forcibly engage in sexual activity with his "wife," Tyrion will turn back to Shae the Funny Whore, and Papa Lannister will somehow find out.

Shae is hanged, perhaps even by her gold chain, and Tyrion exacts revenge. Tywin gets a quarrel, doesn't shit gold. Scene.

As the previous poster mentioned, she probably took a horse from the old guy. And if she is sneaking up on Jon, she would have parked her horse out of the way and proceeded on foot. This is a silly complaint.

You can't read sarcasm apparently though. My post mentioned that Melisandre had a car... You don't actually think I believe that, do you?

In S3 x 01, Tywin made it a specific point to say, "Oh, and one more thing. The next whore I catch in your bed I'll hang." This led to a subsequent scene with Tyrion and Shae in the very next episode where he warns her that, "...my father isn't the type to make hollow threats. You're in danger."

... Tyrion will turn back to Shae the Funny Whore, and Papa Lannister will somehow find out.

Shae is hanged, perhaps even by her gold chain, and Tyrion exacts revenge. Tywin gets a quarrel, doesn't shit gold. Scene.

:agree: Interesting theory about Tywin using Tyrion's gold chain to hang Shae. Either way, she is strangled to death and Tyrion takes revenge on Tywin. I think this is how it will play out.

You can't read sarcasm apparently though. My post mentioned that Melisandre had a car... You don't actually think I believe that, do you?

Of course I didn't think you really thought she had a car. Your post implied that Ygritte unrealistically caught up to Jon, but she had access to a horse, so it is a silly complaint.

Shae either has to die, shack up with someone else, OR would they dare replace her as Penny in the Penny storyline? I never liked Penny in the books, but dragging Shae across the world would be stupid too.

I'd be disappointed if he doesn't strangle her. I'm not a book purist/alarmist, but that really would be a crappy divergence.

Of course I didn't think you really thought she had a car. Your post implied that Ygritte unrealistically caught up to Jon, but she had access to a horse, so it is a silly complaint.

It wasn't a complaint. I was laughing about the fact it looked silly. I didn't give a sh-t, tbqh.

It wasn't a complaint. I was laughing about the fact it looked silly. I didn't give a sh-t, tbqh.

Fair enough. I didn't mean to single you out either...it has been complained about by plenty of people. Your comment (and the other poster I quoted) just happened to be the last comments I read about it and I wasn't about to dig through all the posts to find posts of other people complaining.

Edited by Sheesh

Too bad the *other* wedding wasn't in the finale. I guess the opening episode of next season (along with Stoneheart)?

And is that a giveaway by the writers ? Kings of the Westeros and the Night's watch can't stop the whitewalkers (but Bran can) ?

Could do without the Passion of Theon scenes, or the wolf's head sown on the body scene.

D&D lack subtlety with these sorts of things. Threats on a person's life generally come to fruition.

We can reasonably conclude that any chance for sincere love and affection -- that had begun to show traces of materializing -- between show Sansa and Tyrion this past episode was effectively squashed when Sansa learned of the RW. She was reminded that the Lannisters are her enemies, and the damage is irreparable. Realizing that his marriage is a lost cause, and admittedly unwilling to forcibly engage in sexual activity with his "wife," Tyrion will turn back to Shae the Funny Whore, and Papa Lannister will somehow find out.

Probably. I am 60/40 on the prospect.

Pro Tyrion kills her: D&D like drama and surprises. The build up of the relationship w/Shae being real would make him killing her much, much more of a shock.

Con Tyrion kills her: He is the hero of the show and it will be VERY difficult as they've characterized her to date for her to turn evil enough to make her murder justified.

So, I lean toward Tywin killing her, because I don't think they can pull off darkening Shae's character realistically enough that the audience will go 'she deserved it' when Tyrion strangles the funny whore who just turned down a giant bag of diamonds to stay with him, who loves him, who loves Sansa....

We know book Varys wants a continuing civil war and a weak king. I assume TV-Varys wants the same. We also know that TV-Varys dislikes Joffrey as king and at least sort of likes Tyrion. TV-Varys also seemed genuinely upset about Ros' death.

Book Varys seemed really upset that the Mad King didn't listen to him at the end, allowing Tywin to sack Kings Landing. My guess is that he still holds that against Tywin, and he is unwilling to work for another Mad King. I think Varys values human life more than most of the other characters.

I'm not sure whether Varys wants Shae gone to strengthen Tyrion's position (the reason he gave her), or to prompt a Tyrion breakdown. So long as Tywin is around, Tyrion isn't particularly important so you could infer from this scene that Varys doesn't think Tywin is long for the planet. Which might imply a Varys / Viper plot. Or at least that Varys thinks the Viper coming to the capital for the wedding will be bad for Tywin's health.

Or maybe it is just that Tywin has found out / has asked about Shae and Varys was trying to prevent that situation from exploding.

Purple wedding is the result of Tyrell / Littlefinger scheming. I don't think Varys is an active participant, but it may be something he knows about and chooses not to prevent, like the Goldcloak's betrayal of Ned.

One thing I forgot to say earlier: I think they kind of flubbed the transition to "Reek". After all we've seen, punching him in the face a few times is a bit anticlimactic to bring on Theon's identity shift. It would have made more sense if Theon had become Reek offscreen after being castrated, and the audience met the new Theon for the first time this episode.

Edited by Colonel Green

There's only one reason that makes me think D&D might have Tywin be responsible for Shae's death. They might use Shae for Tyrion's reason to exact revenge on his father along with Jamie revealing the truth about Tysha because many of the unsullied will probably have forgotten the story about Tysha by the time S4 is coming to an end, and both those things together gives Tyrion more of a reason to kill his father. If his father had his first true love raped in front of his eyes and then lied about what she was. And then if he has his second love killed because she refuses to testify against him that will give Tyrion ample reason to kill his father. However, like others have said D&D like shocking the audience, so if Shae betrays Tyrion and testifies against him, I bet everything else after will happen exactly like it did in the book.

Edited by TheWhiteRabbit

There's only one reason that makes me think D&D might have Tywin be responsible for Shae's death. They might use Shae for Tyrion's reason to exact revenge on his father instead of Jamie revealing the truth about Tysha because many of the unsullied will probably have forgotten the story about Tysha by the time S4 is coming to an end. Keep in mind I think this is a lame reason to omit such a huge event, but it is definitely plausible. OR maybe both things happen. Shae is hanged because she doesn't testify against Tyrion. Jamie frees Tyrion and reveals the truth about Tysha and Tyrion proceeds to go apeshit on Tywin with a crossbow.

No, they made the point of mentioning it in season 1 and then brought it up again this season. They're not getting rid of that.

No, they made the point of mentioning it in season 1 and then brought it up again this season. They're not getting rid of that.

True. I altered my post a little bit. However, when Jamie reveals the truth to Tyrion there better be an rehash of what happened to remind the unsullied exactly what's going on. This won't be hard. Just a couple of lines, but I think it necessary to avoid confusion for non-book watchers.