[Book Spoilers] EP310 Discussion

Ran

The issue with Meereen on the books is that the City was never safe for Yunkai remained a major threat up until the latest book

The show, on the other hand, not only eliminated the threat by taking control of Yunkai long before Meereen ...

But I'm really not sure in the show if she HAS taken control of Yunkai. In episode 9, yeah, it sure looked that way, but with what was happening at the end of episode 10, it looked as if maybe the lords of the city had decided to accept her earlier offer - let the slaves go, and they continue with their regular life (well, without their labour force, but never mind that). Of course, that makes absolutely no plot sense, seeing as how Joran et al had taken the city, but then to me the whole "wait outside the walls" scene at the end didn't make much sense either.

At the end of it all I'm not sure if Yunkai is actually hers, or if she's just going to move on, leaving the relatively untouched city behind her.

But I'm really not sure in the show if she HAS taken control of Yunkai. In episode 9, yeah, it sure looked that way, but with what was happening at the end of episode 10, it looked as if maybe the lords of the city had decided to accept her earlier offer - let the slaves go, and they continue with their regular life (well, without their labour force, but never mind that). Of course, that makes absolutely no plot sense, seeing as how Joran et al had taken the city, but then to me the whole "wait outside the walls" scene at the end didn't make much sense either.

At the end of it all I'm not sure if Yunkai is actually hers, or if she's just going to move on, leaving the relatively untouched city behind her.

That is the way it is in the books, except, as George narrates it , Dany spends enough time in both Astapor and Yunkai to set up some kind of government. (She does not do a very good job of it.) In the books it's not clear where the non-slavers came from, GRRM never goes into that. In Yunkai she does the same thing, but apparently some of the ruling class was left, or somebody like it.(Not shown of the show apparently most of the slave populations of Astapor and Yunkai become Camp Followers of her army.) Yunkai , resurgent's?, hire other sellswoard companies , seemingly retake Astapor (by the by in the books Astapor was sacked not burnt to the ground, even the show does not give that impression). Whoever rules at Yunkai spread false word to the Free Cites about Dany. I guess it's about their being under threat from her, but why the Free Cities would help Slavers passes beyond my understanding.

I have to say in George's books , even if there are intelligence gatherers like Varys and LF, cities states have some of the worst or non existent intelligence services ever! Even Alexander and the Roman Empire gathered intelligence better. George does not seem to interested in it.

A minor detail:

Anyone notice that the Braavos coin that Arya has, we get a close up of it, S3E10....

Is totally different from the one Daario gets in the round of 'drawing straws' scene with Mero and Prendahl ?

The House of Black and White have their own coins ... to be expected.

A minor detail:

Anyone notice that the Braavos coin that Arya has, we get a close up of it, S3E10....

Is totally different from the one Daario gets in the round of 'drawing straws' scene with Mero and Prendahl ?

The House of Black and White have their own coins ... to be expected.

Nice catch. With the number of people saying Valar Morghulis lately, you wouldn't think saying that + a normal Braavosi coin would get you free passage to Braavos.

I don't know why it never occurred to me previously that the Iron Bank mints non-specie coins, that is, with little intrinsic value. So trust in the Iron Bank must be extremely high for anyone to be able to pass these coins. Braavos is probably nearly impossible to invade, so no one would expect the Bank to fail...but no one is well-defended against dragons...

Really don't get why anyone thought UnCat should be introduced a week after she was killed. That would've been completely lame and would've taken half the episode to set up. It will definitely be a cliff hanger ending for a season 4 episode and the next episode can explain how the brotherhood does it.

The whole UnCat thing is one of the more lame things GM did anyway. All she does is hiss and her character is completely pointless unless she actually kills Jamie.

I also don't get why everyone is crying about Stannis? He's a dick in the books he's a dick in the show. The actor portrays him very well. You really don't start to like Stannis until he tries to rally the north in ADWD and I think his character really takes off in book 6 as he brings the hammer down on the Boltons and Ramsey's punk ass.

But I'm really not sure in the show if she HAS taken control of Yunkai. In episode 9, yeah, it sure looked that way, but with what was happening at the end of episode 10,

Considering the Mysha scene was taken straight from Meereen plot in the books, I'd say Yunkai is secured.

Unless the plague comes from Meereen, Daenerys is one season away to take over that side of the Narrow Sea.

By the end of season 5, she should be in a position to catch up with Victarion plot and cross over to King's Landing.

You're going to be waiting a LOT longer than that.

Considering TV Shae is a completely different character than Book Shae, I've got to agree.

Edited by silentwanderer

Considering the Mysha scene was taken straight from Meereen plot in the books, I'd say Yunkai is secured.

No the Mysha scene is ASOS Daenerys IV in Storm of Swords , and happens before they arrive at Meereen.

The Battle of Meereen happens in Daenerys V which will happen at the start of next season.

Some think Meereen is too much like Yunkai , or the taking of, tho the battle is different and that we might not see Meereen.

It could be more elaborated , unlike Yunkai.

Some far D and D have shown they cannot resist big plot peaks, tho I don't know ... what will happen unless HBO really opens the purse strings because the Battle for the Wall is going to be the set piece action next season... even knowing that people are looking forward to the PW. The did a lot of SoS this season , but one really could take what's left and make a full season of it because so damn much happens.

Edited by boojam

No the Mysha scene is ASOS Daenerys IV in Storm of Swords , and happens before they arrive at Meereen.

I'm not saying that it doesn't, I'm saying its part of the same plot.

No matter how I look at it, the show made Daenerys conquer the Cities in a different order.

It's bound to change the plot one way or another.

I'm not saying that it doesn't, I'm saying its part of the same plot.

No matter how I look at it, the show made Daenerys conquer the Cities in a different order.

It's bound to change the plot one way or another.

First Astapor

Second Yunkai,

next year

Third Meereen

That's the same order as in the book.

You are absolutely right concerning the order , but I think what silentwanderer refers to is that the taking of Yunkai resembled the taking of Meeren much more than the actual book-battle for Yunkai. Thus entering entering a secret back door to the city to open the gates is the equivalent of the sewer-trick and the subsuquent freeing of the slaves.

You are absolutely right concerning the order , but I think what silentwanderer refers to is that the taking of Yunkai resembled the taking of Meeren much more than the actual book-battle for Yunkai. Thus entering entering a secret back door to the city to open the gates is the equivalent of the sewer-trick and the subsuquent freeing of the slaves.

Yeah, I guess coming through the sewers would be similar. If they did it like the book it would be a bigger sneak attack , if HBO was willing to pony up for more extras, plus in the book the Unsullied and Sellsword companies (there two of those) bash down one of Meereen gates, I can't remember if Meereen had an army seems they did.

This is one of those 'wonder if' stories, because it is Brown Ben Plumm who had escaped Meereen who knew about the back way of getting in. Once again it was Dany who put together the plan to take the city.

If we get a Plumm cast, I don't know.

A frontal assault and sneak attack could be spectacular , but would cost, so seems like D and D will have to figure something out.

Unlike some I think she will get to Meereen , D and D like bizarre things like 163 crucified children marking the way to Meereen , that's their kind of thing!

Edited by boojam

Warning: apc_store() [function.apc-store]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ips_kernel/classCacheApc.php on line 72

Warning: apc_store() [function.apc-store]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ips_kernel/classCacheApc.php on line 72

Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/base/core.php on line 1200

Warning: include() [function.include]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/classes/class_localization.php on line 835

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ips_kernel/classCacheApc.php:72) in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 323

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ips_kernel/classCacheApc.php:72) in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 326

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ips_kernel/classCacheApc.php:72) in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 327

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ips_kernel/classCacheApc.php:72) in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328

I agree. Sex workers aren't devoid of intellect, which is what I find weird about TV Shae. She's an idiot not to take the diamonds and run. It's better than what 10,000 whores could have wished for. She can control her own life, and find a man that's available, not hopelessly tied up in Westerosi intrigue. Remember the part that Tyrion could have left his family to live a comfortable life elsewhere, say in Essos, but decided to play politics because he loves the fight. He chose stupid court politics over love.

Book Shae makes much more sense. She only said the silly things Tyrion wanted to hear, and he knew it was all bullshit and fell for it anyways. Made the death choke more reasonable. Now apparently they love each other and they'll have to justify the murder.

You're going on the assumption they're going to have Tyrion kill Shae, and that it will be similar to the book. I'm honestly thinking Shae will wind up meeting her maker in the process of getting Sansa out of King's Landing, and that Tyrion will assume Tywin had something to do with it, which leads to that confrontation. They've made such a hero of Tyrion in the show I can't imagine they'll have him make that switch.

It's my one complaint with the show - the characters are layered and complex in the book, and in the show we get such broad almost caricatures of individuals who book readers know to be more like onions (or parfait, if you will.)

You're going on the assumption they're going to have Tyrion kill Shae, and that it will be similar to the book. I'm honestly thinking Shae will wind up meeting her maker in the process of getting Sansa out of King's Landing, and that Tyrion will assume Tywin had something to do with it, which leads to that confrontation. They've made such a hero of Tyrion in the show I can't imagine they'll have him make that switch.

This makes sense. I would actually be pretty amazed if they had the Golden Boy strangle Shae a la the book scene.

Its the same old Talisa-is-a-Lannister-spy "deduction" because of the books IMO; where Jayne Westerling's mother was a spy, Talisa got killed along with her baby in the same wedding her husband was murdered.

Now, its all about Tyrion killing a Shae that is a completely different character from her book counterpart because of reasons that no longer apply on the show.