How would you rate episode 310?

Ran

How would you rate episode 310?  

1,120 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

9/10.

I like it because of Arya, Tyrion, Tywin, Sansa, Sandor and even Joffrey.

The scene between Varys and Shae was also well done.

Davos is always great, and I loved Shireen.

I'm quoting myself, because I'm adding the small council scene which was wonderfully acted.

Bran meeting Sam and Gilly was also quite nice.

I also definitely how they cut from Arya's to Jon's hand washing.

Highlights for me were Arya's & Tywin's scenes. Bran's scenes were good but couldn't get past how their party with a wheelbarrow and on foot gets to the wall before Jon on his horse. I know those were different castles but slow fat Sam makes it to CB before Jon too. Stannis' scenes were overall good but his characterization bothers me. The real Stannis would throw Mel out of the window for talking down to him constantly like that. Jon & Ygritte scene was a low point for me... they could have had same result with just an exchange of looks between them in the last episode. Jaime's arrival before the PW was another low point. Don't get me started with Dany's crowd surfing. But still overall 8 due to quality of the show.

9/10

Fantastic finale, waaaay better than Season 2 and even Season 1. Was a longer episode and that helped, there was an awful lot to focus on.

Arya+Sandor, Tyrion+Tywin, the new Roose+Walder scene, Davos+Gendry and Dany's scene at the end were all outstanding.

The only real thing that bothered me was that Jaime just WANDERED STRAIGHT FROM ONE OF KL'S GATES RIGHT INTO CERSEI'S BEDCHAMBER. I mean, with him looking like complete shit and supposedly 'unrecognizable', I find it hard to believe. Also, he's be back for Joff's wedding... well, isn't THAT gonna be awkward...

The only real thing that bothered me was that Jaime just WANDERED STRAIGHT FROM ONE OF KL'S GATES RIGHT INTO CERSEI'S BEDCHAMBER. I mean, with him looking like complete shit and supposedly 'unrecognizable', I find it hard to believe.

I thought that at first, but he is FAMOUS and still recognizable. Certainly to the King's Guard.

Gave it an 8.

There were some great scenes :

• Robbwind, OMG making it seen by Arya was a really good choice, it felt like this was her breaking point.
  • Northern army being destroyed was quite nicely shot.
  • Roose&Walder scene was great, both of them are nicely portrayed. Roose's personality is sligthly changed from the books but this is old news, he had this ironic/tragic laugh in the previous episodes too and it suits the ShowRosse quite well.
  • Arya killing the Frey was really well done, they had to start emerging the darkness inside her at some point, and this felt like a really good moment to do it.
  • Small council scene was interesting, fun to see Joeffrey pwned by Tywin, but still Tyrion feels too much whitewashed. I remember him liking the idea of having Winterfell in the books but well seems like we will never get the BookTyrion, so I have stopped getting disappointed about it long time ago... still have hope that his dark side would emerge after some certain event though.
  • Reek scene was nice, it is a good conclusion for this season's Theon arc : his identity is nearly lost. Next season they'll only need to put a little more psychological torture in 3 or maximum 4 scenes, then they can easily connect to his aDwD arc.
  • Nightfort scenes were all alrigtht, it was clear from last week that we wouldn't get Coldhands, so no need to bitch about that. They may include him later in Bran's journey, he wasn't critical for Sam. We only lost some information about the Wall's magic gate etc
  • Shireen&Davos !!

Some scenes that could have been great with little changes :

• Ygritte&Jon scene : I was really hoping to see Ygritte die this episode because that would have given Jon the 'maturing' he drastically needed in the show. Next season his leadership against the wildings would have been a lot more believable and his election. They could have simply have Ygritte catch him up near the gates of Castle Black, where she has the same conversation, shoots Jon, but then gets shot by the Night's Watch.
  • Greyjoys : Loved Balon&Asha scene but lacked something : just as Asha was leaving the Iron Islands we could have had the shot of Balon falling from a bridge.
  • Dragonstone : I loved the acting, Davos was great, Stannis was mostly great but there were some great alterations in Stannis' character. In the books it took him the death of three kings to finally accept doing the sacrifice, and now he is ready to go with only one. I knew because of the synopsis that Gendry would flee so I was hoping that it would happen in the following manner :
    • Davos starts get worried after Robb's death( would have been more believable if we had Balon too)
    • He frees Gendry in case Joffrey dies
    • And Stannis gets mad and so we end up in the same moment where he is about to execute Davos.

It felt like Stannis was overly manipulated by Melisandre whereas in the books he made her shut it up. We also lost some great lines like : "Is Rh'lorr's hand is spotted and pale? This seems like Walder Frey's doing to me." and then Selyse came in "His power cannot be beheld" about Rh'lorr and "Calm down, woman, we are not at bonfire" from Stannis :'( . He felt too much of a believer in Rh'lorr and I cannot appreciate that, we lost the whole Queen's Men, King's Men dynamic too.... I feel more and more like Stannis' getting extremely deviated from the books, his 'Melisandre's puppet arc' was supposed to be over when Davos is freed from the dungeon.

Scenes that made me nearly vomit :

• Mysha... not only it was extremely cringeworthy, it also had the uncomfortable 'White saviour bringing liberty to brown people' cliché like too, I mean the slaves there are to be from multiple ethinicities, they trade from all over the Essos, and it felt weird. Well I mean I had a hard time liking this scene in the books too but well.. I still hope she doesn't get whitewashed like Tyrion and we'll get her 'Is she mad?' side during next season.
  • Again Dragonstone, when Stannis laughed and told Davos he was is Rh'lorr's army.. wtf?

I think the only possible good ending to this season was LS and it feels so much like a missed opportunity.. Let's hope at least that they'll open season 4 with that. And with team Dragonstone leaving for the wall so early, I guess the Battle at the Wall has to be no later than episode 5. I think Arya will have to take the boat around episode 6 or 7 next season and at the finale we could see her seeing the Titan from the boat, otherwise we might end up having too much of Hound&Arya travelling.

I was going to give 7 but I increased it to 8 because overall, by ignoring the books a bit, it was a good conclusion to this season and I have high hopes for the next season.

Nice, balanced review! Very fair in my opinion.

It was a pretty good episode, especially based on some of the other letdowns of this season. Yes, Dany and the crowdsurfing was a bit corny, but it wasn't so bad that it ruined anything for me.

I'm rather shocked by the many "No Lady Stoneheart!?!" comments. Like others have said, and I fully agree, it would have been utterly lame to resurrect her just one episode after she gets her throat slashed open. While the sequence everyone imagined (her eyes snapping open just before the end credits) is a cool thing to imagine, there's no reason it can't happen next season, when it'd be truer to the book's timeline. Let that shit sink in. All the non-book readers would've just scoffed at a quick resurrection. It'd be hard to take future deaths seriously.

I only hope that scene with Arya and the Frey stabbing isn't a replacement for her fine work in the inn where Polliver and the Tickler are. The show makes Sandor Clegane seem like a massive idiot. I'm disappointed in his character.

The guy playing Tywin has never not nailed a scene. Goodness me.

Anyway. I thought it was a well done episode. Great buildup for next season!

It's not about the bloody continuity.

If George RR Martin had ended a book with the RW and Grey Wind's head being sewn onto Robb's body you can be damned sure I would not have picked up A Feast for Crows. A lot of people did not even finish A Storm of Swords until they heard about Stoneheart and the PW.

I'd love some sources on this statement.

I also don't really see how Stannis' character in the show isn't basically his character as written up to this point in the books? Did anyone like Stannis before he came to teh Wall?

In the books, why does Stannis decide to go the Wall?

The answear will help you to answear your own question.

Basically, they're not half as talented as Martin and almost invariably whenever they depart from the book they screw up big time.

Melodramatic Cersei = bad decision-making.

Non-materialistic Shae = bad decision-making.

Joffrey leaving voluntary after confrontation with Tywin = bad decision-making.

Mega ruthless Stannis with no misgivings about burning his nephew = bad decision-making.

Removing ownage Davos lines like "two is not three" and "protect the kingdom to win the throne, not protect the throne to win the kingdom" = bad decision-making.

I could go on. It's gone way beyond time constraints and has entered the realm of being presumptious.