How would you rate episode 310?

Ran

How would you rate episode 310?  

1,120 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

You are writing nonsense. There were absolutley NO racist overtones in that scene, just like there are no racist overtones ANYWHERE in the books. All that matters is that those people are SLAVES, no one cares about their skin colour. Dany happens to have white skin, the slaves in that particular city happen to have brown skin, just like their masters. Slaves in Volantis will most likely be white, again the same as their masters. Will it still be somehow racist for you then when (if) she frees them?

I agree. The only racist tones I see are from the ones that bring in race into the discussion. Clearly they are the ones seeing races instead of seeing just people, which would be the truly non-racist view.

It becomes even more silly when you think about what kind of extras you can easily get in Morocco.

Such a weak finale.

It's not even such a bad episode if it didn't end so terribly. It even had some really enjoyable moments. But I was so afraid they'd end it with a cringe-worthy Dany scene (so wrong on so many levels), and they did exactly that and more. Lady Stoneheart would be 1000x better.

Such a weak finale.

It's not even such a bad episode if it didn't end so terribly. It even had some really enjoyable moments. But I was so afraid they'd end it with a cringe-worthy Dany scene (so wrong on so many levels), and they did exactly that and more. Lady Stoneheart would be 1000x better.

Completely agree. Not a Dany hater, but Jesus Christ that was just poor.

Black Talon and Tywin's Bastard are correct on the supposed race thing. As far as the Lady Stoneheart thing goes, she doesn't even appear until the end of the novel, or have anything really to do until the second half of book four, which is actually where I'd have probably introduced her in the books!

Edited by The Killer Snark

I agree. The only racist tones I see are from the ones that bring in race into the discussion. Clearly they are the ones seeing races instead of seeing just people, which would be the truly non-racist view.

It becomes even more silly when you think about what kind of extras you can easily get in Morocco.

HAHAHAHA stop, you're embarassing yourself.

If you don't understand why the imagery of a white woman crowdsurfing in a sea of brown people is incredibly racist and offensive (and untrue to the culture of Slaver's Bay), then just avoid the discussions rather than derailing them.

If they wanted the scene to not look so ridiculously offensive, they should have kept the mix of races and ethnicities of Yunkish slaves. But obviously it wasn't a priority for D&D, and it has seriously affected the quality of the scene and the show itself (particularly by ending the season with the scene).

The scene was incredibly stupid anyway. How did Dany know she wouldn't be harmed without the vision in the House of the Undying? Why was she on foot rather than on a horse? Why were all the slaves dressed so poorly, when most slaves in Yunkai would be well-dressed bed slaves, healers, scholars, etc.? Why would she risk having the dragons so close to the walls of Yunkai?

The Robb/wind scene made my heart sink even more so than the Redwedding. The fact that they broke the guest rite was one thing but to desecrate his body and mock him like that was sickening, I had actually expected that they wouldn't do it , but when I seen it play out , I had the exact same feelings as I did when I read it perhaps even more so with Arya witnessing it , so kudos to them for holding their nerve on that. Unfortunately there was a lot I didn't like about this episode. Sansa and tyrion bffs was just wrong and pointless as was the Varys and shae scene I understand that the latter has been theorized to be plot build up but I really feel that the wheels of the Shae and Tyrion romance chariot fell off long ago at least from a TV audiences point of view ( I could be wrong on that but I doubt it) I don't want to cause controversy here by suggesting that the rumors that a female member of the cast refused to do any more topless or nude scenes might of been about the actress that plays Shae. Its perfectly within her rights as an actress to refuse to do nude scenes but in the context of her character and the story i think it does stand out and lessen the realism of her relationship with Tyrion on screen and it removes a dimension to the character that she has in the books that she uses intimacy to convince Tyrion she loves him, now she just comes across as a moody sulking figure in the background with no real reason to be held in great esteem by Tyrion I feel like the writers of the show are making a huge blunder with the progression of Tyrions story . The scene with Jon and Ygritte was so bad in acting , dialogue and setting i found myself choking on my coffee with laughter .They should of respected their tv audience enough to spare them this long and drawn out melodrama by jon and his Ygritte . That scene was better served being in darkness ( to hide the marx brother sketch of Ygritte hitting him with so many arrows and not killing him with just one in broad daylight, wasn't she a good shot like 3 episodes ago?) in the books Jon doesn't know who shot him with the arrows until later when he sees the feathers on the arrows are Ygrittes, subtlety is lost on the writers of the show at times. Davos and gendry scene stank i don't mean to be offensive to the actor that plays Gendry but the more i see of him on screen he just comes across as very Dim. Daenerys storyline has been very choppy over the last few episodes its a great shame. Cersei and tyrions conversation pointless and cringe worthy at times. Stannis has been made a secondary character in whats become the Red priestesses story i can somewhat understand that with the difficult task of adapting his character from book to screen and making him relatable to a tv audience without them being able to get to know him like he is in written form. The small council scene was fantastic I particularly enjoyed the look of revulsion on Varys face when Joffreys angry hand passed by his face. The scene with Arya killing the frey bannermen was very well done. All in all i give this episode an 8 saved from a 5 rating by Tywin , Tyrion and Arya with a little help from Robb/wind

Edited by darksellsword

This episode had nice camera work, great shots / scenery, acting was tremendous , scenes should have transitioned better, nice way to tie up all the loose ends, even better than the books did in some regards, but overall im disappointed especially with the damn secret door at the night fort WTF hbo that was a complete missed opportunity for something original and mysterious. Last scene was just fluff

Edited by MizasterJ

HAHAHAHA stop, you're embarassing yourself.

If you don't understand why the imagery of a white woman crowdsurfing in a sea of brown people is incredibly racist and offensive (and untrue to the culture of Slaver's Bay), then just avoid the discussions rather than derailing them.

If they wanted the scene to not look so ridiculously offensive, they should have kept the mix of races and ethnicities of Yunkish slaves. But obviously it wasn't a priority for D&D, and it has seriously affected the quality of the scene and the show itself (particularly by ending the season with the scene).

The scene was incredibly stupid anyway. How did Dany know she wouldn't be harmed without the vision in the House of the Undying? Why was she on foot rather than on a horse? Why were all the slaves dressed so poorly, when most slaves in Yunkai would be well-dressed bed slaves, healers, scholars, etc.? Why would she risk having the dragons so close to the walls of Yunkai?

You do realize how immature your first line is, right? It's not really the kind of thing that helps me take you seriously. Neither does your tendency to confuse your opinions with facts. I'm answering anyway but I'd prefer a more mature tone.

I understand where it comes from but it also needs you to think in terms of race and not just people. To the person that doesn't care about race she just happens to be somewhere where the inhabitants have different colored skin. Some of them behave badly and keep slaves, just as some of the Westerosi people act bad in their ways.

I agree that D&D didn't think it was important enough, which is a view I would share as I don't take it as a comment on that brown skinned people are inferior. The people they used were probably just the extras they got in Morocco.

As for how Dany knew she wouldn't be harmed? She didn't know (even with visions you don't truly know until it's done), just like she didn't actually know how Drogo's funeral pyre would turn out. She's done plenty of things as leaps of faith and she's often confident to the point of arrogance. The costume part can have several explanations but one that's sure to be relevant is the cost of creating tons of more fancy ones. Why would she fear for the dragons near the walls of a city she's already conquered? These questions aren't very hard to answer. You don't have to like them and may want it to be differently but that's really a different matter.

I don't want to cause controversy here by suggesting that the rumors that a female member of the cast refused to do any more topless or nude scenes might of been about the actress that plays Shae. Its perfectly within her rights as an actress to refuse to do nude scenes but in the context of her character and the story i think it does stand out and lessen the realism of her relationship with Tyrion on screen and it removes a dimension to the character that she has in the books that she uses intimacy to convince Tyrion she loves him, now she just comes across as a moody sulking figure in the background with no real reason to be held in great esteem by Tyrion I feel like the writers of the show are making a huge blunder with the progression of Tyrions story .

Yeah I heard it was Esme Bianco who didn't want to do the nude scenes anymore, and that is why the killed her character off. That honestly makes the most sense to me, since she was an actress that almost every scene she was in, required her to get naked. She didn't once get naked in season 3, and seeing how they used her I can understand why she would be afraid that the nudity would be all she was known for. Anyways, I do agree the path they have chosen for Tyrion and Shae is a bit lame, and it worries me with how it will effect the final outcome of their story.

I gave it a 7. Had this been any episode other than the finale it would have been a solid 8, but I have to knock off a point for it wrapping up the season so poorly. As just an hour of television to watch though it was good.

agreed. Until I read otherwise I just naturally assumed that the slaves had a tan as most slaves/lower-class-workers used to have in the middle-ages;

opposed to highborns who had a pale tan as a sign showing they did not have to work.

Didn't notice anything racist before and I still don't. (but I still think the slaves should've been more various, especially concerning clothing)

And I don't know why they would change the scene from her riding through the crowd to this silly crowdsurfing, would've worked way better imo.

I gave it a 5, though there were some very good scenes and performances, far too much of what I saw was weak, disjointed and/or (as with the final scene) just way too cheesy. I put far more detail in my post in the discussion thread.

uhhh guys.

Lady Freykiller doesn't appear until the EPILOGUE of Storm of Swords = that roughly equates to ep.10 of NEXT season...so why was anyone expecting to see her a full year ahead of time???

As for No Coldhands, I'm bummed but not at all surprised.

I guess they couldn't find an elk rider...oh, and and one that can act... let alone find an 8' tall elk... that you can ride at all, let alone act...and the substitute "just use a horse and replace the face" isn't going to work, either. And a 'just have him ride a horse' compromise is lame.

May also be that D&D couldn't get any details from GRRM re: Coldy beyond what's in the books - which is (paraphrasing) 'shrouded man of the NW w/ pale skin, black fingers, hides his face, etc'. When you really think practically about him that's not telling much at all. Maybe not.

But the elk problem is a biggie for sure.

I have to wonder how they will handle Leaf, if at all...but they HAVE to!! urrrghhh. :dunno:

anyway, i gave it an 8, all things considered.

love love DAVOS!! Tywin/Joffrey was bombass, Gendry story totally makes sense to do this way, Jon/Ygritte works pretty well, Tyrion/Sansa is alright if off a little from the books (so what if she doesn't seem so repulsed in the show - she still thinks KINDLY OF HIM right there in the books; check the Eyrie chapters)

the Dany crowd-surf WAS really dumb, and ended everything on a note of poof-ery. i imagine she couldn't keep the horse calm in a crowd so it didn't work...but it felt like they are trying to establish some rapport with the slaves like she's a Mother Theresa or something.

which is OK, if unexciting - we got plenty of excitement in last episode...but would have been nice for SOME conflict to emerge/cliffhang instead of this vague floating sensation we're left with.

Edited by Ser Shaft of Hightower

Nope. I love (book) Dany more than any other character, but I hate the way they've taken her story into "white saviour" territory. And worse - the show is glorifying Dany as a white saviour.

I'm one of the most vocal Dany stans on this forum, but I'm not deluded. The scene was awful, racist, and a complete injustice compared to the scene GRRM wrote.

This. I didn't even think of it until after I watched it a second time this morning. I spent the entire season complaining about the lack of diversity in Essos, because reading the books, GRRM described all kinds of people for the slaves AND the masters. It's not necessarily Dany being white and saving them, it's the fact that they are ALL ethnic. Not one white slave. Not one ethnic slave master (or good masters, whatever they are called). That scene when Dany tricks Kraznys, and all the good masters, and some upper class people (whoever the well dressed background characters were) who came to see the dragons were all white. I'm never one to sit there and point at stuff and shriek "THAT'S RACIST!".. but damn that has some racist tones to it.

On a second viewing, I really don't think this episode reserves such a bad rap. The Dany scene was awful, I'll admit, and Stannis is a lot colder than in the books (but hey, redemption stories isn't unheard of in this universe you know, and there is nothing that has damaged the character "beyond repair" as some fans suggest).

Apart from those two things, every other scene was very strong. The Arya scene was as strong as any she's had, and Maise blew it away. The Bran stuff felt very pleasant, and it's gonna be good to have Jon back at Castle Black. Also, Maester Aemon! :D Didn't know he had returned to the cast this season, it was great seeing him again. All the King's Landing stuff was great, apart from the Varys/Shae scene, but perhaps it will serve a purpose later on.

Edited by The Monkey

mafalda - Not really. A lot of cultures throughout Essos have government establishments that behave just as badly, or almost as badly, as those which Dany has come across in Essos. It's just that the ethnicities are different, made up mainly of whites. Dany being hailed as a saviour has nothing whatsoever to do with her colouring, in the same way that it wouldn't be racist if the Lannisters, Freys and Boltons happened to have different ethnicities as well. Except that it makes sense they are white, though, but you can see what I'm getting at.

Edited by The Killer Snark

Racist? Well, I'm sure that you will see racism in the last scene, if that's what you want to see. Not that I'm terribly surprised - I guess that if 25% of slaves were white, some people would be upset that it was not 50%. Would you feel better if Dany was black? There were many bad things about that scene, but it was not racist IMO.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that we will see more cheesy Dany scenes next season, but I hope that Dany will start having problems, too. We need to see her failing badly at ruling, we need some conflicts. I know that the showrunners love Dany, but hopefully, they won't underplay her failures and struggles. I don't like Dany's storyline after GOT very much, but I sort of like the fact that GRRM played with a-liberator-saves-the-day convention.