How would you rate episode 310?

Ran

How would you rate episode 310?  

1,120 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

mafalda - Not really. A lot of cultures throughout Essos have government establishments that behave just as badly, or almost as badly, as those which Dany has come across in Essos. It's just that the ethnicities are different, made up mainly of whites. Dany being hailed as a saviour has nothing whatsoever to do with her colouring, in the same way that it wouldn't be racist if the Lannisters, Freys and Boltons happened to have different ethnicities as well. Except that it makes sense they are white, though, but you can see what I'm getting at.

Hello, Killer Snark

I never said that it had anything to do with Dany. I just took note of two things: That ALL of the slaves were ethnic, and ALL of the Good Masters were white. I don't care if Dany was purple. Also, in the novels all the people native to Westeros are described as white, so of course the Lannisters, etc would be white. But the people of Essos were all so very diverse. Several times GRRM has mentioned them as tan, having almond shaped eyes, thick black hair, he described some of them as white also. But nowhere was it described as the GMs all being white and the slaves all ethnic. I totally see where you're coming from though.

Racist? Well, I'm sure that you will see racism in the last scene, if that's what you want to see. Not that I'm terribly surprised - I guess that if 25% of slaves were white, some people would be upset that it was not 50%. Would you feel better if Dany was black? There were many bad things about that scene, but it was not racist IMO.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that we will see more cheesy Dany scenes next season, but I hope that Dany will start having problems, too. We need to see her failing badly at ruling, we need some conflicts. I know that the showrunners love Dany, but hopefully, they won't underplay her failures and struggles. I don't like Dany's storyline after GOT very much, but I sort of like the fact that GRRM played with a-liberator-saves-the-day convention.

I don't know who you're talking to since you didn't address anyone by name or use the quote button, but again, I never said anything about Dany. See my reply to The Killer Snark above. When I replied to Patrick Stormborn, I even said in my original post about the subject that it doesn't really have much to do with Dany for me. I don't necessarily care for your percentages bit, but 100% of the slaves where ethnic, and 100% of the Good Masters were white (though I could say that Kraznys looks like he was a little something something, I'm unsure). We can all agree to disagree but that is simply my standpoint.

I know everyone hates the last scene for their own reasoning. Minus my little nitpick, I don't see what else was wrong with it. I say give her her moment to shine. She will have the times ahead to completely fuck it all up until GRRM finally says otherwise.

Minus my little nitpick, I don't see what else was wrong with it.

It seemed rather goofy. I guess that they wanted to make it feel grand and all, but for me, it was just cheap. The crowdsurfing, the camera angles, "Mhysa!" shouts - it just didn't work for me. Plus, it was too long. The music was good, but in the context of the scene, that nice track somehow made the whole thing even MORE cheesy. However, it's hard to say whether the show is entirely to blame - it's been a while since I have read Dany's chapters from SOS, so I don't remember what was different in the book.

The only thing which I truly liked about it was Jorah's reaction. Felt appropriate. The actor is good at expressing emotions even without dialogue.

Edited by Cybvep

Yes, for me it was the one of the most enjoyable episodes so far. To see Sam coming into his own, and Davos standing up what he believes to be right, and that scene at Dragonstone where Stannis learns of the approaching threat of the White Walkers had a certain dread and foreboding to it. I know last week's episode was the one that got all the attention and press, but for me this episode was more important in the overall saga as Kings come and go, but the realm itself is under threat, and very few seem to realize this.

Really disappointing ending.. Lady Stoneheart would be great as the final plot-twist. Even though it is in the end of the book, it could still fit. (Or have I forgotten something?)

Everything feels so rushed, especially the Bran/Sam scene. No atmosphere building, which was brilliant in the book. And a bit sloppy acting..

Edited by Martyz

It seemed rather goofy. I guess that they wanted to make it feel grand and all, but for me, it was just cheap. The crowdsurfing, the camera angles, "Mhysa!" shouts - it just didn't work for me. Plus, it was too long. The music was good, but in the context of the scene, that nice track somehow made the whole thing even MORE cheesy. However, it's hard to say whether the show is entirely to blame - it's been a while since I read Dany's chapters from SOS, so I don't remember what was different in the book.

Lol, well I remember that in the books she was on her Silver instead of crowd surfing. When she entered the crowd and disappeared for the briefest moment, I thought that someone was going to try an assassinate attempt (I think it was Mero who did it in the book, he was disguised.. but they already killed him off so I knew it wouldn't be him).

I can definitely understand how people could think it was cheesy. Just, imho, they couldn't butcher Dany's storyline any worse than they did in Season 2. That was a royal fuck up.

I can definitely understand how people could think it was cheesy. Just, imho, they couldn't butcher Dany's storyline any worse than they did in Season 2. That was a royal fuck up.

To be perfectly honest, Dany's chapters were the worst part of CoK for me. Qarth wasn't fun at all.

Loved RobbWind and the Arya scene was awesome. Thought the episode could have done with a scene with Mance Rayder in, preparing for the invasion of the Wall. So far, it's been a bit of a waste of Ciarán Hinds. Guessing Lady Stoneheart will be next season. Didn't like the ending, too cheesy.

Edited by Tony Inchpractice

This season started good and has been in a downfall since it's middle, IMO.

This episode is no exception:

• Tyrion is still a misunderstood hero, without any flaw. And now Sansa suddenly starts to like him? Sounds like cheesy love story preceding tragic ending we all now.
  • Jon being shot 3 times by Ygritte after a 'tragic' and anticlimatic conversation. How the hell did she even find him after he escaped? And she did without the other wildlings, even without Tormund? The writers have been shoveling this relationship down our throats so much this season, at first I was expecting this whole scene to be some kind of Jon's nightmare.
  • Suddenly Yara loves Theon. Where did she get the time to do that? Way too forced for the character. They've met only a couple of times, and she turned from mocking him and despising him, to risk her life and sail around the Narrow Sea to get to him. (Weiss and Benioff suck at Westerosi geography)
  • Cersei talking again with Tyrion about how much she loves her children, even Joffrey. It seems the series is in an open campaign to save her from the spectator's hate. And it just turns out to be so forced and stupid. How would she even come close to confess to her hated brother Tyrion that she tried to suicide? Even after having shown him all her hatred last season for sendin Myrcella away? Such a blurred out character it is painful.
  • Stannis is getting more and more confusing. And he's not bad acted. I like how Dillane portraits him. But the script is so awfully bad for him. It seems they (the writers) change the storyline to put him more as a psychopath with a greed for power than anything else.
  • Jaime returning back and not f*cking Cersei. Or raping her, the scene in the books was too ambiguous. But here he just appears and stares at her like a sad puppy. Poor, poor misunderstood hero. Here we got Tyrion 2.
  • Dany's masses' bath. Nothing to say here, the scene speaks for itself.

Still there were some scenes i really liked. Bolton and Frey's conversation was really good made, and most of all, brilliantly acted.

Bran's group meeting with Sam was a good scene too, though it was a bit forced how Sam let them just simply go after what he'd seen out there.

And Arya's killing rage scene i liked too, i love how she's being depicted in her inside hatred and emotional death- evolution, though i hope this doesn't mean there won't be any Inn killing scene.

And last but not least, Charles Dance. One of the main reasons to watch this series. His only presence just make his scenes qet higher and higher in quality, where a lesser actor could have made it all trumble. His composure, subtle movements and the tone of his speaking, just everything fits perfectly into his character. It seems that Dance has understood the character way better than Weiss and Benioff. While they seem to try to make him look some kind of un-active and comic (gay relationships, not giving Joffrey a lesson, etc.) , Chance shows Tywin's real power through his subtleness.

In general, I hope next season gets better through the positive aspects (which are a lot actually) it has shown here. This season lets me a bit disappointed.

This place really makes me laugh. In terms of TV entertainment, that episode was utterly absorbing from start to finish (I'll admit the finale was a bit corny... scratch that, very corny).

It explained a lot succinctly, tied up loose ends, set up characters and was full of big plot twists and explanatory exposition. All the Lannister scenes were particularly brilliant.

My personal nitpick is that they left so much to tie up here, the Stannis/Gendry thing etc, the Bran storyline, that they had to rush through stuff a little bit.

For me, that gripe lies with the pacing of the season and the fact that, in my opinion, the writers/directors need to co-ordinate with each other a lot more in that regard of the course of the season. Overall, I'd say it's been a great step up from season 2, if not quite Season 1. This episode was a borderline 9 for me but the season as a whole was an 8. Still, great TV!

To be perfectly honest, Dany's chapters were the worst part of CoK for me. Qarth wasn't fun at all.

They weren't that great. But they turned her into a brat who threatened to burn everything, they completely created some bs storyline for her out of nowhere with Dragongate, then to top it off, they butchered the only awesome thing to happen to Dany that book: HotU. Though I did love seeing Jason Mamoa again, but really though, they only put in like two visions, and NONE of those happened (can't remember if the snow in the throne room happened or not, but I doubt it).

But yeah, my main gripe abut Dany this season is her lack of a wardrobe. Blue tunic, in every single episode except for one, but then again a LOT of characters seemed be lacking in wardrobe. Dany was just the most noticeable to me.

8/10

Let's not insult those with whom we disagree; that is juvenile. Just because someone thinks Dany crowdsurfing was cheesy and an anticlimactic ending (that's me!) does not mean that person needs to go outside and get some sun. We just have different tastes and opinions. Grow up and get over it.

"Mysha" had a lot of good parts. What more was shown of the Red Wedding (the massacre outside the keep) was appropriately horrifying. Somehow, the Robb/Grey Wind abomination was even more macabre than I imagined. The King's Council was great. They kept all of the best dialogue between Joffrey, Tyrion, and Tywin. Arya's descent into darkness finally began. The discussion between Roose and Walder was interesting (the fate of Winterfell was finally revealed). Ramsay and "Reek" was a gripping conclusion to a season's worth of torture.

What was bad was Stannis. His transformation from a cold but just man driven by duty to a cruel tyrant driven by Mel is now complete. His redemptive moment of choosing to rule the realm by saving it was turned into something sinister. Fortunately, Davos has stayed the same, although Davos would never follow someone like D&D's Stannis. Asha's planned rescue of Theon is an awkward and uncharacteristic move for an Ironborn, but hopefully Balon's overdue death will set her back on her proper storyline. And I'm sorry, but Dany crowdsurfing was just a ridiculous conclusion. I never understood the appeal of her story (if she weren't a girl, would readers and viewers still be cheering her conquests? what is praiseworthy about swearing vengeance against those whom overthrew her demented, mass-murdering ancestor?), nor the supposed power of the "Mysha" moment. She "liberates" a bunch of slaves and tells them to be free, but then they all call her their "mother" and basically worship her. So much for freedom. Besides, there was no suspense about what would happen at Yunkai. Jorah, Daario, and Grey Worm convinced the slaves to defect last episode. Daario told her "the city is yours," or something. Unless you are really invested in the allegiance of the "freedmen" of Yunkai, it was an anticlimactic (not to mention repetitive, e.g. they used the same finale melody from Season 1) ending.

Gave it an 8. Great episode up until the Dany scene. What a horrible scene. Could have skipped Cersie and Tyrion/ Cersie and Jamie scene. Not happy with tv Stannis but how he's acted throughout the series makes sense to this episode. Really wish they kept him true to the book. I can get over that as it's still good television. Other than that, I thought it was pretty damn good.

6/10 Good episode but the ending was atrocious.

Is it just me or is the acting really bad at times this season as if they were rushing to film it and in the end just slammed loads of edits together.

Mel was jumping around the room making weird facial expressions that were completely out of characters.

Jon put on a really weird voice at the end.

Stannis seems to muddle up his lines during his epic speech.

Don't know what some of you had against the last scene, I loved it especially as it shows Danys development so well. As a season finale it just doesn't work as well as the seasons before, but thats because of the book being splitted into two seasons. All in all it was one of the best episodes this season for me.

PS: Dany is NOT showen as a "white savior", she is the mother of dragons and slaves. How can you read racism into the scene?

I hated the last scene because it looked too much like a clip from an MTV rock video from the late 1980s.

But I would guess that most of the people claiming that the last scene was "racist" and that Dany is being made into a "white savior" are Brits, not Americans. Multiculturalism in the UK -- in the effort to lay a guilt trip on modern Britons for its period of colonialsm and imperialism in the past -- has spawned some weird ideas about race, ideas that are unintelligible and incoherent to most Americans.

Just scroll down and ignore.

Edited by hedgeknight001

I gave this episode a solid 7. I was very surprised that they showed Robb's body with Greywinds head on it while chanting and laughing King of the North. It was a shock for me in the book and I did not think they would actually show it. I liked the way they had Bran tell the story of the Rat Cook. My Unsullied friends did not understand how serious it was that Walder Frey murdered his guests. The timing on that story was very good.

I missed Tyrions line about "Sansa being fertile before or after I tell her we murdered her brother and mother"

I loved Charles Dance sending Joffrey to bed without his supper. That man is Tywin Lannister through and through.

The part I didn't like was Gendry trying to row to Kings Landing. WTF? And I don't know why Arya had to meet the Freys on the road instead of in an inn like in the book. That seemed very odd. I love the chemistry between her and the Hound in this series.

Well, a year to wait, so now my 4th reread will begin.